@UVa Baseball

How many games will GT win @UVa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
But that's what you want. Being out by 5 feet is preferable to UVa turning the DP. You MUST force the fielder to choose between DP or preventing the run. You CANNOT let them have both. Runner at 3rd and 1st, the runner at 3rd ALWAYS goes on contact, it should not even be a question.
I agree, but I maxed out my baseball skills and competence in little league...

I think you have to force the infielder to make the play at home, rather than giving them a potential double play opportunity.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Great series win, almost unbelievable sweep. We have momentum and will need it with who we have coming. But at 500 ACC and those teams, we control our destiny.

@YoungSting and @jeb84 had it with the two win prediction for the series.
I was so close. Glad we muscled our way to another series win. We're on a roll and the coaches are making more good calls than not.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Guys, you just need to follow the flowsheet: was tech expected to win (no) —> was tech playing a ranked team (yes) —> was tech coming off an important loss (yes). And that should have told you that the good guys would win the series.
All of that doesn't include my contribution when for the first time ever I voted zero wins in this series. :)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I tried to check the box score for the Friday night game on the GT app and the April 14 VT game is listed. I wonder how much of this goes on, who is responsible, and does anybody care?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I tried to check the box score for the Friday night game on the GT app and the April 14 VT game is listed. I wonder how much of this goes on, who is responsible, and does anybody care?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

StatBroadcast is my go-to for stats (along with Warren Nolan). The 4/14/24 VT game is there.

Looks like our RPI is 61. And Warren Nolan has us at 14-16 in ACC. With a predicted RPI of 38! Coming up in the world. Just win baby.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
What a spectacular weekend in Hooville...
What could've been had Beccheti correctly broke for home in the 8th....Could've swept the Cavs as I believe we were the better team this weekend.

I'll start with our offense...Run ruled the Cavs on Friday. 25 hits and 17 runs on Sunday. Wowsers....

Gotta start this with Matthew Ellis. That kid is just flat locked in right now and seeing the baseball like a beach ball. Whatever tweak that Ramsey did has worked wonders (Ellis stated this three weeks ago). Ellis pulled a ball against a lefty after the Hoos decided to not go into the shift and he drilled the ball right between the 1b and 2b. Had the shift been deployed, he likely would've been out.
When the cavs had the shift deployed, Ellis hit the ball right up the middle twice on two-strike counts...The kid is just getting it done.
I must admit that I really underestimated having Giesler in the lineup. His presence and bat just means so much to this 2024 team.

Payton Green is starting to play up to his capabilities.

Now on to pitching...
Aeden and Cam- Spectacular. I think those two off speed pitchers match up well vs the Hoos and proved it right. Both are always in the strike zone and pitch to contact which, I feel, is very effective and makes for a good college pitcher.

Tate McKee struggled for the 2nd straight acc start after a solid effort against Pitt. I just think this kid is a freshman learning how to pitch in college against quality ab's from top hitters. The kid has really good stuff and I think he's going to be a very good pitcher for Tech however, it may be best to let Mason Patel (veteran) start again on Sundays because he knows how to get college outs.

KSU game tonight is HUGE imo as they are also competing for a tourney bid and have a higher RPI than us.
Miami series is a must win series if we want to play post season.

This team just continues to amaze and surprise me.

Way to go boys!

Go beat the owls!

Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Now on to pitching...
Aeden and Cam- Spectacular. I think those two off speed pitchers match up well vs the Hoos and proved it right. Both are always in the strike zone and pitch to contact which, I feel, is very effective and makes for a good college pitcher.
Couldn't agree with you more strongly! I really think it is ALL about pitching to soft contact.

I wonder of that is why Cam Hill, who clearly has great talent, is not being successful in college ball when he is lights out in Cape Cod? Maybe wooden bats and pitching strategies are different in those environments?

Otherwise, I have NO IDEA why Cam isn't being successful here. And whatever happened to Terry Busse? Kid was brilliant early last year and now can't even get to the mound.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
But that's what you want. Being out by 5 feet is preferable to UVa turning the DP. You MUST force the fielder to choose between DP or preventing the run. You CANNOT let them have both. Runner at 3rd and 1st, the runner at 3rd ALWAYS goes on contact, it should not even be a question.
I understand your point and it is a good one But other facts make it a tough decision.
1) Are you better off with a runner on 3rd with 2 outs that can score on a wild pitch or a passed ball. especially when the batted ball makes a double play questioable.
2) Or are you better off with a runner on 2nd in scoring position with 2 outs left if the runner on 3rd is thrown out?