@UVa Baseball

How many games will GT win @UVa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny you mention that about "neutral" site game. According to Warren Nolan... that was a home loss. We haven't played any neutral site games. SMH. RPI drives me crazy. It's a joke.

View attachment 16022
Fred, that's what I've been trying to point out for a good month now. Most recently my 10:58 AM post. I must not be doing a good job of writing clearly. It's obviously an error, presumably by how the location of CoolRay Field is coded, but someone in our athletic department needs to get it corrected.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
What an outstanding way to start the UVA series.

A+ on nearly every facet of the game for tech.
Defense (minus the throwing error)
Pitching
Offense- loved that the offense was relentless when uva picked up 2 cheap runs, they came back with 6 unanswered

I see our rpi is up 5 to 61 but it should , at a minimum, top 60.
That is an excellent team we beat in their house

Nothing more you can say about Aeden except that is exactly who he is and when he hits his spots, very few can hit his palm ball. He pitches to weak contact and batters swinging through his breaking stuff with a sneaky fast ball and that's exactly what happened last night.

He shut down an outstanding uva offense

We are now in 9th place in the acc tied with louisville and if duke were to sweep va tech, we could certainly be within striking distance of 8th place if we were to take this series.

Lots on the line over the next two days.
Winning three straight acc series would be huge and especially over two ranked opponets.

BTW- another reason i can't stand rpi is nc state keeps rising up rpi and they may sweep # 11 uncheat....and i'd like to remind the rpi computers we swept that wolfpack team....IJS

Anyway...Go Take the series boys and win three straight acc series and make that Miami series become even bigger

Go get em Jackets!!!
We want to see NC State continue to rise in the RPI. With them cracking the top-25 our record in that important category jumped from 0-5 to 4-5 in a single day. Also, yesterday's game increased our RPI by 13 spots, not just 5. We went from 74 to 61.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
We want to see NC State continue to rise in the RPI. With them cracking the top-25 our record in that important category jumped from 0-5 to 4-5 in a single day. Also, yesterday's game increased our RPI by 13 spots, not just 5. We went from 74 to 61.
Oh i'm definitely rooting for nc state to sweep uncheat as I think that series sweep is bigger than most think and shows what the team is capable of...

Regarding the 5 spots vs 13 spots up, you are 100% correct as I was looking at rpi prior to auburn loss so you are correct, they are up 13 spots

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fred, that's what I've been trying to point out for a good month now. Most recently my 10:58 AM post. I must not be doing a good job of writing clearly. It's obviously an error, presumably by how the location of CoolRay Field is coded, but someone in our athletic department needs to get it corrected.
Sorry... not sure how I missed that. It's not you... it's me. (y)

I agree with you completely.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, that one hurts. Was listening to the game on the was back from South Georgia. We need a new play by play guy, or maybe Wylie just spoiled me?

What happened in the 8th when we didn’t score from 3rd on the DP. I thought that would be an automatic. Was it a shot straight to the 3rd basemen that kept our guy close to the bag or just terrible base running.

Also, on the walkoff, I am skeptical on playing a shift with the infield in. Anyone with any sort of bat control can put it on the right (or left) side of the infield for a game winner, which is exactly what their guy did, sounded like.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, that one hurts. Was listening to the game on the was back from South Georgia. We need a new play by play guy, or maybe Wylie just spoiled me?

What happened in the 8th when we didn’t score from 3rd on the DP. I thought that would be an automatic. Was it a shot straight to the 3rd basemen that kept our guy close to the bag or just terrible base running.

Also, on the walkoff, I am skeptical on playing a shift with the infield in. Anyone with any sort of bat control can put it on the right (or left) side of the infield for a game winner, which is exactly what their guy did, sounded like.
It was bad baserunning. It was a chopper where the first bounce was on the dirt around home plate, so no reason to freeze for fear of a caught line drive. It was hit maybe a few steps to the shortstop's right, but there was no concern with the 3B fielding it. However, the runner's first step on initial contact was back to the 3rd base bag, then he froze, and then when the SS fielded it he took another step or two towards the bag. The SS never hesitated about going for the DP at 2nd, and by the time the runner was through going back to the 3rd base bag he didn't have a clear shot at scoring, so he held. He immediately put his hands over his head, he knew right away he had messed up. As was stated in the chatroom, he should have been instructed to go on contact, with the worst case scenario being 1st and 2nd with 1 out. But that would take a good play by the infielder and him scoring was much more likely.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It was bad baserunning. It was a chopper where the first bounce was on the dirt around home plate, so no reason to freeze for fear of a caught line drive. It was hit maybe a few steps to the shortstop's right, but there was no concern with the 3B fielding it. However, the runner's first step on initial contact was back to the 3rd base bag, then he froze, and then when the SS fielded it he took another step or two towards the bag. The SS never hesitated about going for the DP at 2nd, and by the time the runner was through going back to the 3rd base bag he didn't have a clear shot at scoring, so he held. He immediately put his hands over his head, he knew right away he had messed up. As was stated in the chatroom, he should have been instructed to go on contact, with the worst case scenario being 1st and 2nd with 1 out. But that would take a good play by the infielder and him scoring was much more likely.
He probably was instructed to go on a ball on the ground but only so much a coach can do there, unfortunately.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
He should have been instructed to take an aggressive and be prepared to go on a ground ball up the middle but I don't know what he was told. Anyway, I don't fault Beccheti for not running on contact, who has good baseball instincts. Once he did not break on contact,, he would have been out if SS/2B had seen him running.

Last edited:

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and it was marvelous. I am not an enlightened baseball fan; my appreciation goes up largely proportional to whether we win. So I'm very appreciative this morning.

We won. Convincingly. Finateri threw lots of strikes (73 of 99!). Many of the UVa hits were soft and fortunate.

But we were lucky. Does anyone else ever remember one team out hitting (12-13) the other AND getting run ruled? We got hits in bunches and it was a desert in between. I've always believed that RISP is mean reverting and last night didn't change that view. (Last night we were 600 RISP and 343 BA.)

A few miscellaneous notes:
  • Both teams players were mostly physical specimens. I can see the difference every couple of years when I go to games. Players today are just much more agile and stronger than they used to be. It comes through more to me in person than on TV.
  • Lackey is the real deal as catcher. His throws to second were always spot on when warming up. That throw out in the second to pick off the lead off hitter was massive. There were two more singles in the inning and UVa would have taken the lead and momentum.
  • Burress throw from CF in B6 was a highlight reel throw. Burress put absolutely everything into the throw and was a perfect strike. Watching him warm up he can throw the ball a mile (some hyperbole but further than others). That play is the one I'll remember for them game the most. All 30 of the GT fans in the stadium were going crazy (or at least I was).
  • There was great poetic justice in the 6th when Yunger stole second. That was after at least 20 pickoff attempts; even the UVa fans were complaining since most of the pickoff attempts were silly with Yunger only a few feet off the bag. Why the hell have a pitch clock when the pitcher can do that ****? We are now 55 of 59 in SBA for the year. Deadly.
Don't get too liquored up Charlie Brown. Last @UVa series I went to, we won Friday and then lost Saturday and Sunday. But this is a different team and we'll go as far as our pitching takes us; our team never gives up. I won't be going today or tomorrow but last night was worth it. (Great day in the mountains too clearing trees with hand saws, ropes and rollers. Doesn't get much better.)

We are back to 500 ACC with a 61 RPI. Bad news is we would not make NCAAs today IMHO. Good news is we control our destiny and play a lot of good teams that can improve the RPI. Here's the RPI of the ACC teams we play (UVa first - 17, 87, 4, 22, 5). I still think we need to finish over 500 ACC and RPI<=45. But given the RPI of the ACC teams left, I think if we end up over 500 ACC the RPI will be less than 45. So just win.
My lord we have officially lost Nuke he’s lining up for the field goal attempt

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly thought he would have been out by five feet. They weren’t playing up but they weren’t playing back either. Their shortstop is one of the best in the country. Kudos to Bechetti for hitting that double after having had limited at bats the last few weeks.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
If we are truly going to make a run in the tourney and NCAA, we need 1-9 to be clicking. Easier said than done, I know. Everyone agrees our pitching is better, not stellar, but better. We sit in the ACC at #7 pitching, #7 batting and #6 fielding. It’s a good team, maybe just not a great team…yet.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly thought he would have been out by five feet. They weren’t playing up but they weren’t playing back either. Their shortstop is one of the best in the country. Kudos to Bechetti for hitting that double after having had limited at bats the last few weeks.
But that's what you want. Being out by 5 feet is preferable to UVa turning the DP. You MUST force the fielder to choose between DP or preventing the run. You CANNOT let them have both. Runner at 3rd and 1st, the runner at 3rd ALWAYS goes on contact, it should not even be a question.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
But that's what you want. Being out by 5 feet is preferable to UVa turning the DP. You MUST force the fielder to choose between DP or preventing the run. You CANNOT let them have both. Runner at 3rd and 1st, the runner at 3rd ALWAYS goes on contact, it should not even be a question.
Did not see the play but get into a rundown if you have to

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My lord we have officially lost Nuke he’s lining up for the field goal attempt

I think we have an outside (20%) chance of sneaking into the NCAAs. The team has shown they don't give up. Then get a top seed away. Rinse and repeat.

I could be positive and say we are getting closer every game to a new head coach. Then I'll kick the ball and go all in on change.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I could be positive and say we are getting closer every game to a new head coach. Then I'll kick the ball and go all in on change.
😂 The coaches are definitely buying themselves time for another year. We started the season saying we needed to bring in veteran experience and hit the portal hard. Now we are saying we need to allow the freshman more time to gain ACC experience.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
😂 The coaches are definitely buying themselves time for another year. We started the season saying we needed to bring in veteran experience and hit the portal hard. Now we are saying we need to allow the freshman more time to gain ACC experience.
You're saying we're staring down the barrell of year 32?