UVA - 12/31

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else have an issue with this statement that we have to stick with our scheme because it's all the players know? I find young men adaptable to something new if what you are doing hasn't worked effectively in the last two seasons. Is this lack of flexibility on CJP? Seems like we play well for a bit, the other team adjusts, and we can't or won't adjust and then we get got. Anyone even care anymore? This forum appears to have dropped off significantly.
I took that as a throw-away comment. No way he meant that the way it comes across.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA kicked us in the mouth and we folded. They were the aggressor the whole game and we played with a lack of confidence. That is on the coaches, in my opinion, and Pastner's leash is getting shorter every game. I found this game really hard to watch once UVA took off at the end of the first half and beginning of the second. You may disagree with me, but I think the talent is there to compete at a level higher than we have this year (which is not the same as saying that we are on par with UVA or UNC talent-wise, because we aren't).

Big props to Miles Kelly and Javon Franklin. Those two guys played hard and didn't seem like they wanted to lose. JMoore had his worst game in a while, and Deebo and Smith both look like they are still recovering from injury.

UVA had more steals (14) than we had assists (11). That's horrible.

We did make 43.8% of our threes, but they were mostly after the game had gotten out of hand. We missed two at the end of the first half that really put us behind the eight ball.

Oh, well. Another opportunity lost. I'll keep cheering, but I am getting tired of waiting for the turnaround to come...

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
From about 10:45 to 2:45 of first half, UVA made two shots. Did we play great D? I don’t think so. They missed open shots and made some bad decisions. They hit three shots in final 2:45 or so and then curb stomped us at start of second half. Honestly, I think we’re lucky we didn’t lose by 40.

Beekman was licking his chops when we brought the ball up. He and Franklin just abused our ballhandlers all game. It was like watching a P5 team dismantle a D3 team for most of the game. I assume all the sophisticated are thinking about transferring to other programs and at least making a little NIL for next two years

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
From about 10:45 to 2:45 of first half, UVA made two shots. Did we play great D? I don’t think so. They missed open shots and made some bad decisions. They hit three shots in final 2:45 or so and then curb stomped us at start of second half. Honestly, I think we’re lucky we didn’t lose by 40.

Beekman was licking his chops when we brought the ball up. He and Franklin just abused our ballhandlers all game. It was like watching a P5 team dismantle a D3 team for most of the game. I assume all the sophisticated are thinking about transferring to other programs and at least making a little NIL for next two years
No one really knows the NIL numbers but what is a good guess of the overall amount of money available to a team like, say, Va and the distribution of that money up and down the bench of a team like Va?

Anyone have any reasonable guesses?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No one really knows the NIL numbers but what is a good guess of the overall amount of money available to a team like, say, Va and the distribution of that money up and down the bench of a team like Va?

Anyone have any reasonable guesses?
UVA isn’t a place where alumni boosters go crazy giving money away. Clark has an ZN deal with a local clothing company for an undisclosed amount. Of course that’s what NIL was designed for. In football Armstrong, their WB, had a deal with McDonalds, I believe local franchises and did hold autograph sessions after his monster 2021 year. Again that was the NIL intent. Up here in Northern BA I haven’t heard of anything like you do for SEC school LLCs.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think a million per year in NIL would get us to a decent spot and we can scale from there after some success and renewed interest. Isaiah Wong was getting $100k for this season and threatened to transfer when Nijel Pack got a deal for $400k/yr. You can do fairly well in CBB with 2 studs and a decent supporting cast. I think Bacot is getting close to a million.

Paying a guy $500k a year is not a guarantee he’s going to drop 17ppg though.

Who here knows Chris Klaus and can turn him into a hoops fan?

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
UVA isn’t a place where alumni boosters go crazy giving money away. Clark has an ZN deal with a local clothing company for an undisclosed amount. Of course that’s what NIL was designed for. In football Armstrong, their WB, had a deal with McDonalds, I believe local franchises and did hold autograph sessions after his monster 2021 year. Again that was the NIL intent. Up here in Northern BA I haven’t heard of anything like you do for SEC school LLCs.
I believe Isaac Traudt, who is redshirting, also has a deal. He has Type 1 diabetes, which is part of the reason he is sitting this year as he adjust to living without the structure and discipline provided by family. I believe he has inked a deal with a company associated with the treatment of the disease.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well,another game vs a good team in which we were not competitive really and whats worse--at home. Twice as many TOs as assists is a recipe for disaster-- which is what we got.

I fan 45

Georgia Tech Fan
Pretty sorry state of affairs in general on both women's and men basketball. I advise to separate yourself emotionally for those who haven't already. Of course your not going to give up completely as a fan but this season looks absolutely horrendous from the front end.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think Bacot is getting close to a million
Rumor out of the Triangle is that Bacot is either at or slightly over $1MM with Love & Davis in mid- to high-six figures. Several TarHole boosters are convinced the NIL money is why they are playing so lethargically and with no urgency. Word is that Duke has similar issue with Lively and Whitehead. I don't claim any first hand knowledge on either UNC or Duke front, but trust my sources completely on this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our best 3 guys are sophomores. Sounds like you just want to argue and be unhappy.

Have a Happy New Year.
So how do you see us filling the gaping holes at PG and Center next year. Our bench is very thin as well this year with seniors getting most of the bench minutes. Assume the 3 sophomores develop into solid ACC players what makes you think next year will be any better? If you are counting on a freshman, Cain, to be the answer look back over CJP's 7 years and name a freshmen who has been a big difference maker? None of the 3 sophs were last year. Cyril has shown nothing this year and we get killed at the center position. Expecting him to be the answer next year is simply wishful thinking. He might be a solid ACC guy his junior year but highly unlikely next year.

Please detail why you think next year will be better besides wishing?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So how do you see us filling the gaping holes at PG and Center next year. Our bench is very thin as well this year with seniors getting most of the bench minutes. Assume the 3 sophomores develop into solid ACC players what makes you think next year will be any better? If you are counting on a freshman, Cain, to be the answer look back over CJP's 7 years and name a freshmen who has been a big difference maker? None of the 3 sophs were last year. Cyril has shown nothing this year and we get killed at the center position. Expecting him to be the answer next year is simply wishful thinking. He might be a solid ACC guy his junior year but highly unlikely next year.

Please detail why you think next year will be better besides wishing?
You’re moving the goalposts. That has nothing to do with your original comment or my reply.

Your original comment was that we have no one in Mike’s, Jose’s, or Moses’s league on this team. I disagreed and said we did but they were just young. Our best players are sophomores. You’re comparing a junior and 2 seniors to three sophomores.

So, how about Moses’s sophomore year? How about Jose’s? If I remember, Mike kind of disappeared his sophomore year. I’d take the these sophomores over those three as sophomores every day of the week, and that is not a knock on Jose, Moses, and Mike, who also had some pretty nice help down low.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard to even have a serious conversation about the UVa debacle, after giving up a 25-0 run (I was there it was miserable). Especially after losing badly at home to Clemson and getting whipped by UNC and with FSU and Miami coming up. I like CJP and I like this team and think that they are all ACC players, but this team is 2 very good players away from competing in ACC and that has been the case for the most of the last 20 years. Pastner hit it big with Moses and Jose and he should get a lot of credit for finding those guys and coaching them up (I think loss of Reveno hurts bad with our recruiting and the play of big men), but if he gets credit for Jose and Moses, then he sure should get blamed for missing on recruits and not getting the 4-5 stars guys we are missing.

I am about done with this BBall program, and I've had season tickets for about 25 years. I think he needs to go at the end of the season unless something crazy happens.