UVA - 12/31

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Who jumps out as high level talent to you on VA roster??
They are a;; good players who fit Bennett's system. No 5 stars but a bunch of 4 star or high 3 star players who know their role and are superbly coached. They are far better at PG and Center than GT and they have guys who know how to move without the basketball to get to good spots for open shots.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They are a;; good players who fit Bennett's system. No 5 stars but a bunch of 4 star or high 3 star players who know their role and are superbly coached. They are far better at PG and Center than GT and they have guys who know how to move without the basketball to get to good spots for open shots.
You’re moving the goal posts on me here. To me, coaching matters more in college basketball than almost anything. This team is currently 9-5

3E2A3B3E-2082-4B47-9D9C-C5084AB89842.jpeg
3E2A3B3E-2082-4B47-9D9C-C5084AB89842.jpeg

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Your charts are meaningless as they are simply numbers with no reference to what they are. Too much header and left side is cut off.
Names and program shouldn’t matter. The chart shows a large amount of prep talent ranked within the top 100 and are still 9-5. I did that on purpose mostly to illustrate the importance of coaching in power six college basketball

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
UVA’s defense is a joy to watch. I loved the couple turnovers they forced where they surprised Deivon Smith with a trap off the high post handoff. Not the most talented players in the world, but a lot of really smart, resourceful guys handpicked by Tony Bennett and coached into a really great system that the team and fanbase take pride in.

I wasn’t there today but anybody catch Julian Swartz in the handshake line doing some networking with Tony Bennett to find his next role?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA’s defense is a joy to watch. I loved the couple turnovers they forced where they surprised Deivon Smith with a trap off the high post handoff. Not the most talented players in the world, but a lot of really smart, resourceful guys handpicked by Tony Bennett and coached into a really great system that the team and fanbase take pride in.

I wasn’t there today but anybody catch Julian Swartz in the handshake line doing some networking with Tony Bennett to find his next role?
Shouldn’t have surprised him as they did it from the start of the game. But it did. We never adjusted to that aggressive hedge. Their defense scored more points off that handoff than we did

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I can’t imagine Bennett would have any use for Schwartz, unless they have a history together. Do they?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I can’t imagine Bennett would have any use for Schwartz, unless they have a history together. Do they?
Meant he was just asking about roles in general, not that JS would end up in Cville. I’m sure the Bennett family has a lot of connections in the D1 world who JS would be interested in.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This team is mentally weak as hell. Our guys were playing tough scrappy basketball toe to toe with UVA in a two-point game at 27-25, then a couple of bad breaks and bad plays and they completed imploded and gave the game away in a matter of just a few minutes. GT teams seem to do this over and over. Couldn’t even shake it off and get right over half time. We gave up a 23-0 run between the last couple of minutes of the 1st half and the first few minutes of the 2nd half.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Meant he was just asking about roles in general, not that JS would end up in Cville. I’m sure the Bennett family has a lot of connections in the D1 world who JS would be interested in.

Played for Bennett's father at Wisconsin. Tony Bennett was an assistant on that team.
Thanks for the info. I figured there must be some sort of connection if Schwartz was indeed cozying up to Bennett post game.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Turnovers were the story of this game. Both teams shot similarly well from the field and beyond the arc. Neither team shot particularly well from the free throw line, but the net difference was only 1 point from the stripe. The difference was turnovers. It was 23-11 on turnovers. Eleven more turnovers gave them 12 more shots and 7 more makes than us.

Also, note their assist to turnover ratio and their assist to made fg ratio. They were nearly 2:1 assists:turnovers where as we were about 0.5:1. They assisted on over 75% of their fg. They are at 67% on the season, which I think is one of the best in the country, and today they exceeded that mark substantially.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s a good question. When I asked him about that in the summer, his response was along the lines of that is what the guys know.

I took that to mean that while we’re relatively young, the ones that have been here have been taught Princeton, so going away from it and going back to square one almost seemed more daunting. I compare it to Paul Johnson deciding to move from the triple option to a pro-style offense.

He mentioned to the media today that they were adding some wrinkles to it, but most of the elements will remain the same.
Anyone else have an issue with this statement that we have to stick with our scheme because it's all the players know? I find young men adaptable to something new if what you are doing hasn't worked effectively in the last two seasons. Is this lack of flexibility on CJP? Seems like we play well for a bit, the other team adjusts, and we can't or won't adjust and then we get got. Anyone even care anymore? This forum appears to have dropped off significantly.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Turnovers were the story of this game. Both teams shot similarly well from the field and beyond the arc. Neither team shot particularly well from the free throw line, but the net difference was only 1 point from the stripe. The difference was turnovers. It was 23-11 on turnovers. Eleven more turnovers gave them 12 more shots and 7 more makes than us.

Also, note their assist to turnover ratio and their assist to made fg ratio. They were nearly 2:1 assists:turnovers where as we were about 0.5:1. They assisted on over 75% of their fg. They are at 67% on the season, which I think is one of the best in the country, and today they exceeded that mark substantially.
Hard to be competitive when 1/3rd of your possessions you don’t get a shot off.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I received my alumni magazine in today’s mail. There’s an article about Jose and the 20-21 season. Josh talks about retooling the offense after a couple of early season losses, so obviously it’s possible.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I received my alumni magazine in today’s mail. There’s an article about Jose and the 20-21 season. Josh talks about retooling the offense after a couple of early season losses, so obviously it’s possible.
Helped to have real talent like Jose, Moses and Mike. No one on this year’s team is in their league