US News Top University Rankings

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Debate the merits of the US News methodology if you wish. In any case, Georgia Tech is up to #29 overall and is now the #5 public school on the list.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

In an email from the GT Alumni Association:
Georgia Tech just became the 5th ranked public school in the Nation! U.S. News and World Report measures many variables in the ranking methodology, 35% of which is directly impacted by Roll Call, Georgia Tech’s Fund for Excellence.

Alumni donors provide the Institute with the ability to recruit the best faculty and provide financial resources for students in the form of merit and need based scholarships. You can help keep Georgia Tech's world-class reputation as one of the best in the county and provide excellence for current and future yellow jackets.

Deleted member 2897

"Debate the merits of the US News methodology if you wish."

Exactly. The first question people should ask is how we could be top 5 in every single engineering program yet be #29. The answer is some of the metrics are a little unusual (my terms). For example, we got basically a low F on "Social Mobility:" Basically, how many poor people do we admit and graduate. That's a tremendously difficult metric for an elite STEM school. Amazing to get such a high rating when you get close to a 0 on part of the metrics (we ranked well over #200 on that one).

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
"Debate the merits of the US News methodology if you wish."

Exactly. The first question people should ask is how we could be top 5 in every single engineering program yet be #29. The answer is some of the metrics are a little unusual (my terms). For example, we got basically a low F on "Social Mobility:" Basically, how many poor people do we admit and graduate. That's a tremendously difficult metric for an elite STEM school. Amazing to get such a high rating when you get close to a 0 on part of the metrics (we ranked well over #200 on that one).
The 2nd question is how/why they keep uncheats so high even when uncheats almost lost their accreditation.
They had uncheats high even during that time period,

Deleted member 2897

The 2nd question is how/why they keep uncheats so high even when uncheats almost lost their accreditation.
They had uncheats high even during that time period,

Their accreditation was put on probation for 5 years IIRC. They shouldn’t have even been on the list at least then.

slugboy

Staff member
Thank you. Imagine if the BOR ever let GT start a law school.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Someone tried—I believe in the 70s. I was told Petit said “no”, and all we needed was a small law library. I only got some of the story, but I was told the law school ended up at Ga State.
I’d have to look to see if the dates line up. Not sure if everything does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
What I hate is how these ranking publications end up driving academic direction. Someone decided grad rates was " important" so Tech loses its sink or swim model and has to conform to get the ranks..... academic innovation goes out the window and everyone ends up looking the same........not much different than the football team ;)

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone tried—I believe in the 70s. I was told Petit said “no”, and all we needed was a small law library. I only got some of the story, but I was told the law school ended up at Ga State.

Missed our chance when UGA started an engineering school a few years back

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow

Dunno about back in the 70s, but I'm under the impression that the law field in general has been oversaturated for the past decade? Although a specialization in patent law might be worth a look.