Updated playoff chances for Tech

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's not worry about our chances of beating Florida State or Georgia. Let's just look at our chances of other teams being ahead of us IF we win out.

Pac-12 champion- 100%: This is a stone cold lock now that it's assured that the conference champion will have 2 losses or less. Pac-12 is the second toughest conference in the country this year, and there won't be any head-to-head logic in our favor like there could be with the SEC.

Big XII champion- 99%: TCU has a good chance of losing to Texas and Baylor plays Kansas State, but each team will be 95%+ in their other game, and against a 2-loss Big XII champion, Georgia Tech winning a head-to-head is very unlikely.

Alabama- 96%: We can get in over Alabama one of two ways: either Auburn and Mississippi both win this week and then Bama loses in the SEC championship OR we beat Georgia and Georgia beats Bama for the SEC Title with a high enough margin of victory to convince the committee that we should get the shot over them on the head-to-head.

Mississippi State- 81%: If Mississippi State beats Mississippi, there's literally zero chance we pass them. If they lose, and we have a win over an SEC champion Georgia, our chances are likely very good, but it's not guaranteed. If someone other than Georgia wins the SEC title our chances are not good, but it's still possible, especially if we blow out Georgia and/or Mississippi blows out Mississippi State. The other 3 ACC/SEC matchups will also be key factors here.

Ohio State- 65%: We need a win by either Michigan or the Big Ten West champion to keep Ohio State out.

Big XII runner up- 43%: If Baylor and TCU both win out, they'd each be co-champs with 1 loss and would both be ahead of a 2-loss Tech. Our best chance here is Baylor losing to Kansas State, but TCU is also about 31% to lose to Texas according to the betting markets.

Florida State- 43%: If the Noles lose to Florida, we don't have to worry about them being in over us. If they beat Florida, our margin of victory will be key. This is one of those spots where it's truly impossible to predict how the committeee will react. We might need to win by 20 to get in, or a 3 point win might do it. We have no idea.

Pac-12 runner up- 15%: I don't really think we have much to worry about if Oregon wins the Pac-12, but if they lose a close game, it's definitely not out of the realm that they take a spot from us with 2 losses, especially if the loss was to UCLA who they beat on the road earlier in the season.

So yeah, with most of the favored teams winning last week, our playoff chances are pretty slim. Probably about 3% IF we win out which is already very unlikely. Teams to root for this week to help us pull out the miracle:

In order from most leverage to least
Georgia Tech over Georgia (LDO. Go Jackets!)
Mississippi over Mississippi State
Texas over TCU
Auburn over Alabama
Arkansas over Missouri
Clemson over South Carolina
Texas Tech over Baylor
Michigan over Ohio State
Louisville over Kentucky
Kansas over Kansas State
Oregon State over Oregon
Stanford over UCLA
Florida/Florida State ? (Really hard to know which side even helps the Jackets more. It all depends on the commmittee's criteria)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Teams to root for this week to help us pull out the miracle:

In order from most leverage to least
Georgia Tech over Georgia (LDO. Go Jackets!)
Mississippi over Mississippi State
Texas over TCU
Auburn over Alabama
Arkansas over Missouri
Clemson over South Carolina
Texas Tech over Baylor
Michigan over Ohio State
Louisville over Kentucky
Kansas over Kansas State
Oregon State over Oregon
Stanford over UCLA
Florida/Florida State ? (Really hard to know which side even helps the Jackets more. It all depends on the commmittee's criteria)

I like the chaos that would cause!

We want FSU to beat Florida - we need to beat an unblemished FSU to have any shot at all.

/

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
IMHO: If we run the table, the pups must win the SEC CG. That would legitimize our win and team. If not them, Missouri, but that would be a longer shot. Missouri's loss to Indiana is a big pill to swallow.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the thoughts. To me we don't have a chance since we had two low "quality" losses in Fluke and UNC, even if we beat the UGAg and FSU soundly. I could agree that we would be one of the four best at the end of the season, but not for the whole season.

I don't see how ESPN won't force going to an 8 team playoff given the exponential increase in interest from the public on going from two to four teams.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's be realistic for a moment. Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State, TCU, Baylor and maybe even FSU with a loss to us, are still ahead of us in the rankings in your scenario.

There is no way uga is going. Or Missouri. Or Ga Tech. Maybe in an 8-team playoff we would be there. You can go ahead and plan the ski trip for that week.

The only tangible outcome from us winning out is that no ACC team will be in the playoffs. What that really does is move Baylor or Miss State into the top four.

Animal02

Banned
Let's be realistic for a moment. Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State, TCU, Baylor and maybe even FSU with a loss to us, are still ahead of us in the rankings in your scenario.

There is no way uga is going. Or Missouri. Or Ga Tech. Maybe in an 8-team playoff we would be there. You can go ahead and plan the ski trip for that week.

The only tangible outcome from us winning out is that no ACC team will be in the playoffs. What that really does is move Baylor or Miss State into the top four.
Agreed - even if every team ranked ahead of us (minus the couple that play each other) lose this weekend, Tech would maybe jump into the top ten.......but all the teams losing in the top ten would only result in a shuffling of the deck among the top 8 depending on the "quality" of the loss.

Thanks for the thoughts. To me we don't have a chance since we had two low "quality" losses in Fluke and UNC, even if we beat the UGAg and FSU soundly. I could agree that we would be one of the four best at the end of the season, but not for the whole season.

I don't see how ESPN won't force going to an 8 team playoff given the exponential increase in interest from the public on going from two to four teams.
And shouldn't any playoff in any sport be among the best teams in the country at the end of the season? Why should it matter how they played early on if they are at their best at the end. I think the whole idea of rating them each week is ridiculous. Don't have any weekly poll of the committee; save it till the end when it matters.