Update on GT and Points/Dr

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so just to review: Points/Drive is a calculated, raw (not adjusted for opposition) stat. It functions as an alternative to the pts/game stat which is sometimes labeled scoring offense.

I see two main advantages for it over the more traditional scoring offense stat. First, it does not count return scores (kickoffs, turnovers, punts) as offensive scores, which most calculations of points/game do. Second, it offers a better comparison between more deliberative offenses that run more (and so have fewer drives in a game) and more high-paced offenses that pass more (and so have more drives in a game).

It shares the same drawback of other raw stats in not being adjusted for the quality of opposition. It has a further drawback that it counts all turnovers as ends of drives when calculating the number of drives, meaning, for example, that Nealy's lost fumble in returning the interception counted as an offensive drive.

So, where do we stand after week 12?
Offense: Over the first 12 weeks, our offense has averaged 3.52 points/drive. By this measure, we have the #5 offense in country. If you're wondering, it would be 3.55 ppd and #4 if we remove Nealy's drive, so it's not that big of a deal. After week 8, UNC, we were also #5 averaging 3.4 ppd.

Defense: Over the first 12 weeks, our defense has allowed on average 2.32 ppd, for a #98 ranking in scoring defense. This is a significant improvement over where we were after the UNC game, Week 8: 2.88 ppd allowed, #115. To put some numbers on this improvement, over the last 4 weeks, we've allowed on average 1.48 ppd, a 95% improvement (I know that technically we should look at opposition strength, but we're just looking at the raw data). To put this improvement in perspective, that 1.48 ppd allowed would be good enough for #19 in scoring D, tied with TCU, if extended across the whole season.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Defense: Over the first 12 weeks, our defense has allowed on average 2.32 ppd, for a #98 ranking in scoring defense. This is a significant improvement over where we were after the UNC game, Week 8: 2.88 ppd allowed, #115. To put some numbers on this improvement, over the last 4 weeks, we've allowed on average 1.48 ppd, a 95% improvement (I know that technically we should look at opposition strength, but we're just looking at the raw data). To put this improvement in perspective, that 1.48 ppd allowed would be good enough for #19 in scoring D, tied with TCU, if extended across the whole season.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

same players. liking what we are finally doing!!!! I can get behind ted if he keeps this scheme up.

ITJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you pull drives ending with the half or the game? Also, where do you get your raw data if you don't mind me asking.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Do you pull drives ending with the half or the game? Also, where do you get your raw data if you don't mind me asking.
I get data from cfbstats.com. I do not count drives ending halves. I calculate drives by summing rushing tds, passing tds, fga, punts, failed 4th and turnovers

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Again @AE 87, really like you're statistical data.

Thanks for sharing the information.
your.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good stuff. As far as the last 4 weeks, the teams have been better Strength of Schedule than the first 7 overall.

Looking at J Howell power rankings, the average power ranking for the first 7 teams was about 55%* and the last 4 teams was 60%.

We've known this; the team is getting better. BTW, UGAg is 83% and Clemson was 74% ........ beating UGAg away would be huge statistically.

*55% means 55% likely to beat the average CFB team on a neutral field.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Should I overlook the sentence fragments and comma splices in your correction or should I take the intent of your post and overlook the grammatical errors? Yes, this is a trick question.
  1. "Your is possessive." --> This is not a fragment. In this case, your is not being used as a pronoun. This is read as "[The use of this symbol] is possessive."
  2. "In other words, you own something." --> This is not a comma splice. It is a prepositional phrase.
  3. "Your new baby alien loves to cuddle, but he keeps crapping in your refrigerator at night." --> This is not a comma splice. It is a coordinating conjunction.
If you disagree, please take it up with the author of The Oatmeal.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't know how anyone gets out of school without knowing the difference between:

Your and You're
There, They're and Their
Lose and Loose
To, Too, and Two

How hard is this, people? I can understand those who mess up "effect" and "affect", because you do have to remember something....but the others?!?! They are BASIC grammar...I mean basic.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Message boards are an oral medium, people post phonetically more than in more formal writing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Message boards are an oral medium, people post phonetically more than in more formal writing.

I understand that, but if you understand these basic tenets, then using them correctly takes NO more time.... The truth is, and this is sad, that many escaped school without ever learning these basic items. Having to use grammar check or spell check to prevent these mistakes is very SAD, in my opinion. But, it is a sign of the times.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I understand that, but if you understand these basic tenets, then using them correctly takes NO more time.... The truth is, and this is sad, that many escaped school without ever learning these basic items. Having to use grammar check or spell check to prevent these mistakes is very SAD, in my opinion. But, it is a sign of the times.

I'm not sure whether my point was really understood. I'm saying that there's something weird about message boards that sometimes people aren't typing from their knowledge of spelling and grammar but simply how words sound. So, it doesn't say anything about what they learned or didn't learn.

I think that's why people might post "could of" instead of "could've." It also explains why sometimes a southerner might post "are team" instead of "our team."

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure whether my point was really understood. I'm saying that there's something weird about message boards that sometimes people aren't typing from their knowledge of spelling and grammar but simply how words sound. So, it doesn't say anything about what they learned or didn't learn.

I think that's why people might post "could of" instead of "could've." It also explains why sometimes a southerner might post "are team" instead of "our team."

I think I understood you, but I am a southerner, and since I learned "our" and "are" in school, I don't think of "are" when I am say "our", although I probably pronounce it that way. I guess it is just how some minds are wired differently.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I really wouldn't worry about it. It's to hard for too people two be to correct all the time when going back and forth on the internets, especially sense its an oral medium. I've been on this bored for awhile, and their have been many times I couldn't tell what there saying when their going on about what's on the field, right they're. Its tough though especially when we loose as folks on here get upset and they're grammar fails them.