Upcoming schedule changes - 5 games in 11 days

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The Yellow Jackets’ game at Clemson, originally scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 13, has been moved up one day to Friday, Feb. 12. The contest will tip off at 8 p.m. and be televised nationally on the ACC Network.

Tech’s home contest versus Pitt, which was originally scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 13 but postponed due to Covid-19 safety protocols, will be played on Sunday, Feb. 14. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. at McCamish Pavilion and the game will also be televised nationally on the ACC Network.

Georgia Tech opens a stretch of five games in 11 days on Saturday when it hosts Notre Dame at McCamish Pavilion. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. on the ACC Network.

I see where Louisville is playing tonight after only 2 days. So I guess this is hitting everybody. I hope they play as poorly tonight as we did against them. I hope we are rested for Clemson and beat them up again. But Pitt, like Louisville, is going to be tough with only 2 days rest.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I see where Louisville is playing tonight after only 2 days. So I guess this is hitting everybody. I hope they play as poorly tonight as we did against them. I hope we are rested for Clemson and beat them up again. But Pitt, like Louisville, is going to be tough with only 2 days rest.
No. Louisville’s game has already been cancelled due to UL contact tracing issues. Kinda sux that we bothered to play them on Monday.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As @GTpdm stated, Louisville's game tonight was cancelled. So was their game scheduled for this past Saturday, which would have meant they'd have had the same rest as us on Monday. There will be a competitive imbalance in a lot of games, whether it's due to postponements or teams coming out of weeks-long Covid protocols.

No. Louisville’s game has already been cancelled due to UL contact tracing issues. Kinda sux that we bothered to play them on Monday.
I based what I said on the TV schedule posted in today's Augusta newspaper. Obviously that paper is not worth the paper it's printed on. They haven't covered a single Tech game in the past month, but they have at least 2 articles everyday on the mutts, whether it be basketball or football.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Nightmare scenario. 3 straight games on 2 days rest.

Just checked and all 3 teams will be more rested than us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nightmare scenario. 3 straight games on 2 days rest.

Just checked and all 3 teams will be more rested than us.
Should improve our conditioning.

Some people see obstacles, others see opportunities.

No more excuses. No one is going to look back and care why we lost a bunch of games and didn’t make the tourney if it plays out that way. They’ll just see that we lost.

Players think we have the best team in the conference? Go win some games and make a statement

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Should improve our conditioning.

Some people see obstacles, others see opportunities.

No more excuses. No one is going to look back and care why we lost a bunch of games and didn’t make the tourney if it plays out that way. They’ll just see that we lost.

Players think we have the best team in the conference? Go win some games and make a statement
Well said. Kyle, Khalid, and Rodney need to step up now more than ever. And I think Josh needs to take a realistic look at sitting our big 3 8-10 minutes a game during this stretch. If he tries to play them for 40 minutes a game for 4 straight games, this stretch is going to be a disaster. As much as I love Jose/Mike/Moses and know how hard they play every time they step out on the court, the human body has its limitations. UVA 4 days after the ND game has turned now into a must-win.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Well said. Kyle, Khalid, and Rodney need to step up now more than ever. And I think Josh needs to take a realistic look at sitting our big 3 8-10 minutes a game during this stretch. If he tries to play them for 40 minutes a game for 4 straight games, this stretch is going to be a disaster. As much as I love Jose/Mike/Moses and know how hard they play every time they step out on the court, the human body has its limitations. UVA 4 days after the ND game has turned now into a must-win.
Yep. Josh has to manage it like we have games back to back to back. That means giving Rodney extra minutes he ordinarily would not. Or same with Kyle.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If the NCAA ever brings up the safety and health of SAs, and how the most important thing for SAs is their education...let's point back to this time and laugh in their faces.

Has any team in the NBA ever played 5 games in 11 days?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
And you see a tremendous opportunity to complain
Am I complaining? I said everyone needs to stop making excuses. You think the team is making excuses or do you think it’s just you?

I deal with people every day that spend their time harping on every reason why something won’t work or can’t be done and I’ve found that if you focus on how it can be done you tend to be more successful. And as I said, if we aren’t successful this year then when everyone looks back there won’t be an asterisk.

We’ve got to find a way to get it done

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This sucks. I just don't see how we are going to have the legs especially for the last 2. Pastner is going to have to get creative with the substitutions. We are going to need the bench players to step up. Hopefully they have it in them.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
At least we don't have to travel for any of these outside of clemson (which is a really short drive).

We'll be stretched thin, but hopefully CJP can learn from the short UL turnaround and figure out some better ways to keep guys fresh.

I checked everyone else's schedules and everyone's coming off of 4 days of rest with the exception of Clemson (6 days) and BC (3 days).

Even with the shortened rest I think 3/5 is my expectation, with Pitt and UVA (we'll be on the same rest as them) being winnable too.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone tell me what I am overlooking, but instead of crowding all of these postponed/rescheduled games into an impossibly short period of time, why can't we just expand the season into mid to late March. Instead of March Madness we would have April Madness. The situation that the Jackets had to deal with last weekend ---two games in less than 48 hours while the other team is totally rested ---is totally unfair. Our kids had no legs after halftime. And we are obviously not the only ones 'suffering' as it were, it's a lot of teams in this year of Covid-19. So why doesn't NCAA think of the health of the players ---and the collegiate game ---for once and do the right thing?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Someone tell me what I am overlooking, but instead of crowding all of these postponed/rescheduled games into an impossibly short period of time, why can't we just expand the season into mid to late March. Instead of March Madness we would have April Madness. The situation that the Jackets had to deal with last weekend ---two games in less than 48 hours while the other team is totally rested ---is totally unfair. Our kids had no legs after halftime. And we are obviously not the only ones 'suffering' as it were, it's a lot of teams in this year of Covid-19. So why doesn't NCAA think of the health of the players ---and the collegiate game ---for once and do the right thing?
MONEY!