Unsung heroics Saturday

Mack

Helluva Engineer
In the interest of not derailing the thread......I will withhold my response to this, lol.
I was serious............in my day if you touched the rock and dropped it you better fall on it and quickly....if it hit you and went into endzone well again you better fall on it.......we didnt have the muff rule.....we were better off since a fumble was a fumble.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I was serious............in my day if you touched the rock and dropped it you better fall on it and quickly....if it hit you and went into endzone well again you better fall on it.......we didnt have the muff rule.....we were better off since a fumble was a fumble.
Mack, don't worry about Jacket1515 he was just slyly referring to the term muff being used in some r-rated ways in slang. He was making a joke on that word and not about anything you wrote. He didn't want to derail the thread with a vulgar joke but still couldn't resist it.

I too thought possession was the key. I will give Snoddy credit for this, however, even if he was wrong about whether he could have still downed it for a touchback then at least he fully comprehended the fix he was in and what had to be done next. He may run better on a football field when he is in desperation mode. He was making cuts and moves there that I haven't really seen him make when trying to take the edge before.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It would have been a touchback. If the impetus of the kick (regardless if it is muffed) results in the ball going into the end zone and is recovered by the receiving team it is a touchback.

Play 2: R1, on his five yardline, touches (muffs) a kickoff as it bounds past him. The ball bounces into team R’s end zone, where (c) prone R2 recovers after the ball hits the ground in the end zone or before it can hit the ground in the end zone. Ruling 2:'For NCAA, it’s a touchback when prone R2 recovers.
Maybe im wrong, but it looked as if Snoddy was out of the endzone when the ball touched him. He then had to retreat into the endzone to pick it up and make the incredible runback. But if it touches him while hes in the endzone, then ofcourse its a touchback. I couldnt rmemeber the play completely or where SNoddy was at the point of contact.