Unintended Consequences: Good News v Bad News

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Please indulge me on this. ..and for some reason I feel the need to state for the oversensitive types out there... I'm not upset; just having some fun.. while making a very small point. I'm not a regularly poster across many forums such as this... so, perhaps (and very likely) "its not you... its me". However, just in case I am approaching normal in this respect... I want to throw out a thought.

There seems to be a squeaky wheel reaction over on the football forum (perhaps others)... where simply titling a post with a players name infers "BAD NEWS". I'll cut to the chase... that's crazytalk. Here's an idea... react AFTER you read the post... in the words of A.Rodgers R-E-L-A-X.

My theory (based on solid science) is there are only a few (~20% max)... who assume terrible-ness when simply reading a dude's name in the title of a post. A portion of that 20% has spoken up to ask that titles be changed to address this psychosis. Now.. I'm in the 80% who would wait the 5 seconds or so to READ the post before panicking.

The unintended consequence? Now that we are beginning to set an expectation that the level of good news/bad news may need to be included in titles... you are making the crazies crazier by reinforcing this clearly goofy behavior. ...and frankly, I'm worried the stink will be getting on me or already has. Now its in my head... I will be paying way too much attention to the inferred meaning in a title and my heart rate will increase, BP elevate until I find out a post simply titled "George P Burdell" ... only means ol' George has done something good for society instead of being run over by a train.

This is 98.6% TIC. Cheers!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Please indulge me on this. ..and for some reason I feel the need to state for the oversensitive types out there... I'm not upset; just having some fun.. while making a very small point. I'm not a regularly poster across many forums such as this... so, perhaps (and very likely) "its not you... its me". However, just in case I am approaching normal in this respect... I want to throw out a thought.

There seems to be a squeaky wheel reaction over on the football forum (perhaps others)... where simply titling a post with a players name infers "BAD NEWS". I'll cut to the chase... that's crazytalk. Here's an idea... react AFTER you read the post... in the words of A.Rodgers R-E-L-A-X.

My theory (based on solid science) is there are only a few (~20% max)... who assume terrible-ness when simply reading a dude's name in the title of a post. A portion of that 20% has spoken up to ask that titles be changed to address this psychosis. Now.. I'm in the 80% who would wait the 5 seconds or so to READ the post before panicking.

The unintended consequence? Now that we are beginning to set an expectation that the level of good news/bad news may need to be included in titles... you are making the crazies crazier by reinforcing this clearly goofy behavior. ...and frankly, I'm worried the stink will be getting on me or already has. Now its in my head... I will be paying way too much attention to the inferred meaning in a title and my heart rate will increase, BP elevate until I find out a post simply titled "George P Burdell" ... only means ol' George has done something good for society instead of being run over by a train.

This is 98.6% TIC. Cheers!

I agree with the sentiment but also think thread titles should be informative. Just a name (or + good or + bad) is not helpful one way or the other.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be much more concerned if there were a trend towards thread titles like: "Player Name (BAD NEWS)"

It's bad optics for the program -- oh look, it's jackets fans keeping up to date on the bad news about their 19 year old running back -- and second it might encourage sink-hole threads. I understand if some folks want that, and I'll exercise my freedom to unfollow, but I don't think we should promote "brown tagged" or bad news threads per se.