Undrafted Player Deals

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I was surprised that Mason didn't get drafted in one of the lower rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Howard stuck with somebody. They are the kind of players the pros are looking for at RB: big, hard to bring down on the first lick, decent speed, can catch, and can block. But … a lot of this is a matter of numbers and luck.

Running backs are really Derick Henry level or plug and play unless there is a generational talent you are better off targetign needs with UDFA and giving them all a shot.

Line play is so much more important in the NFL any half decent back should slot right in and can.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I was surprised that Mason didn't get drafted in one of the lower rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Howard stuck with somebody. They are the kind of players the pros are looking for at RB: big, hard to bring down on the first lick, decent speed, can catch, and can block. But … a lot of this is a matter of numbers and luck.
Speaking of Mason...a pure CGC interview with the 49ers..

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Did Quez Jackson not even get a rookie mini camp invite? That’s pretty crazy, even to me, who went back and forth with @Techster on Quez’ impact on our defense.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Did Quez Jackson not even get a rookie mini camp invite? That’s pretty crazy, even to me, who went back and forth with @Techster on Quez’ impact on our defense.
Not too surprising if he didn't, he is undersized for an NFL LB and ran slow AF at the pro day, over 5 seconds. Good college stats, but not what the NFL is looking for I'd guess

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Not too surprising if he didn't, he is undersized for an NFL LB and ran slow AF at the pro day, over 5 seconds. Good college stats, but not what the NFL is looking for I'd guess
He also only got 8 reps of 225....which as a senior is horrendous

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Even David Curry got a mini camp tryout. Makes you wonder if he had some medical flags that he tested that poorly. Tough to see someone that put up those kinds of numbers and was All ACC but didn't even get a camp invite.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DC was strong as an Ox

DC was also our best tackler for 2+ seasons...he just wasn't built for the modern game where you had to cover a lot of ground. Quez covered more ground, but he did have some recognition issues and was caught out of position at times. He just had good athleticism, and his speed was a lot faster than 5.0 on the field, which makes me think he had some kind of medical issue that wasn't publicly known. Second team All ACC guys usually at least get a camp invite. Must have been similar to Omoregie Uzzie...dang good player that was a multi year All ACC guy but failed physicals because of his knees and was put on every board's "medically disqualified" list. I don't think Uzzi ever got a camp invite either.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I actually agree with this. I don't like CGC but stronger arguments have to be made to trash him because the team supposedly underperformed because we had one drafted player and 6 udfa deals. One drafted player and several undrafted free agents is not a good showing at all with respect to the draft. The only reason why we think otherwise, is because we have been about the same if not worse than that over the last 5 years. I thing Cuse hits the nail on the head that a 3 win season against our schedule is better than what most of the G-5 schools in that list have. Our schedule year-in and year-out is brutal. Also, we were fairly competitive in many of our games with the exception of the last 2. Put us in the Pac-12 and we may be a 5-7 team, in the G-5, an 8-4 team (I would hope)

The only reason why we can even compare # of NFL deals with record is because we are now running a more "main-line" offensive and defensive scheme. I think it goes without saying that many teams and systems throughout the years of college football do great without superb NFL talent. Snyder's great Kansas State team comes to mind along with some of our teams with Paul Johnson.
"...stronger arguments"? Three consecutive three win seasons with humiliating losses to FCS schools and historic blowouts to rivals is about all the argument that needs to be made concerning whether or not TStan was suckered into making a bad bet. Coach Collins needs to perform the coaching job of his career to salvage his self respect and show the ACC that Georgia Tech will not be replacing Duke as everyone's favorite homecoming opponent. Personally, I would like to see him take over that defense and get those guys to play like their hair is on fire. He did that at Mississippi State and he is certainly capable of doing it here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
"...stronger arguments"? Three consecutive three win seasons with humiliating losses to FCS schools and historic blowouts to rivals is about all the argument that needs to be made concerning whether or not TStan was suckered into making a bad bet. Coach Collins needs to perform the coaching job of his career to salvage his self respect and show the ACC that Georgia Tech will not be replacing Duke as everyone's favorite homecoming opponent. Personally, I would like to see him take over that defense and get those guys to play like their hair is on fire. He did that at Mississippi State and he is certainly capable of doing it here.
1 loss to an FCS school, but don't let that slow you down.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Where was the belittling?

All the greatest rebuilding history stuff was very much minimizing successes under the immediate regime. It was PR speak that backfired. Acting like we were MUCH better pre option than we were (which was ironic because its not like the fridge didn't run alot of it.) And then overtly stating that they were going to prepare any different or even run the formations that week just "run our offense and focus on fundamentals". It was definitely belittling the offense and the opponent.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't say that there was not justification for his firing. I wish the guy would already be out of here. All I said is that 6 undrafted free agent deals does not mean we should have had a sure-fire winning season last year. There are plenty of reasons to fire CGC. Perceived underperformance because a couple of dudes got a shot at the NFL is not one of them. Have we underperformed? Yes. Should he be gone? Yes. Does having 6 udfa deals in the NFL mean we should have had a 9-3 record last year? Absolutely not. Our NFL showing this draft season was pathetic. We are borderline non-existant in the NFL with the exception of 3 really good players and a couple of contributors.