UNC Preview Thread -- Who is UNC?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Replying to just this line.

Against DJ we found that confusing him by flooding the passing lanes was effective. With a much better passer who is capable of putting the ball at exactly the right place at exactly the right time I wonder how our strategy will change. I'm not sure how Howell does against the blitz but I have to assume we are not just going to sit back and let him and his receivers find open space. I think we have to send a whole lot of different pressures from every direction in this game. This will put a lot of pressure on our defensive backfield to not get beat by UNC's talented receiver(s).

Part of the reason that our strategy worked is that Clemson didn't do a very good job of running the football down our throats. UNC has the running game to punish us if we drop 8 into coverage.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Part of the reason that our strategy worked is that Clemson didn't do a very good job of running the football down our throats. UNC has the running game to punish us if we drop 8 into coverage.
You’re not wrong. That’s what makes me nervous about a heavy blitzing scheme against UNC. That can be susceptible to the run and delayed handoffs/screens.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re not wrong. That’s what makes me nervous about a heavy blitzing scheme against UNC. That can be susceptible to the run and delayed handoffs/screens.

The best way to defend UNC is the same way VT did. Take away the run and rely on your DBs to make plays. VT has the horses in the secondary to make that work. I am not sure we do.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
The best way to defend UNC is the same way VT did. Take away the run and rely on your DBs to make plays. VT has the horses in the secondary to make that work. I am not sure we do.
Our secondary is our best part of the defense on paper (experience, depth, etc.). This will be the first game they're really tested downfield.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we can get some pressure on the QB, our secondary will shine. If we give the QB 3-5 seconds every pass play to let the routes evolve, no secondary will survive.

I've heard that before as well...

I'm honestly at the point with the defense that it's on them to prove they can consistently stop people. The Clemson game was a good start. Here's hoping we can keep UNC in check this Saturday.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Replying to just this line.

Against DJ we found that confusing him by flooding the passing lanes was effective. With a much better passer who is capable of putting the ball at exactly the right place at exactly the right time I wonder how our strategy will change. I'm not sure how Howell does against the blitz but I have to assume we are not just going to sit back and let him and his receivers find open space. I think we have to send a whole lot of different pressures from every direction in this game. This will put a lot of pressure on our defensive backfield to not get beat by UNC's talented receiver(s).
Press conference by Thacker was not encouraging for stopping Howell with the blitz. He effectively said that Howell was savvy, would see where the pressure was coming from, and would throw quick in the right place and negate the rush. I would rush some off the edge with a speedy DB or N, but I got the vibe that Thacker thinks the blitz is not the answer. In listening to Mack Brown I got the impression that the run, including Howell, was key to their O plan.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Press conference by Thacker was not encouraging for stopping Howell with the blitz. He effectively said that Howell was savvy, would see where the pressure was coming from, and would throw quick in the right place and negate the rush. I would rush some off the edge with a speedy DB or N, but I got the vibe that Thacker thinks the blitz is not the answer. In listening to Mack Brown I got the impression that the run, including Howell, was key to their O plan.
Correct on both counts. Blitzing Howell will result in multiple big plays. His ability to see the field, his savvy, and his quick release will largely negate any success we have blitzing. The key is not necessarily Howell but stopping the run and keeping Downs under control. Easy to say...hard to do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
More on Josh Downs. This week is going to need a fantastic coaching job on defense

Funny thing about him. In one game, (I can't remember if it was Virginia Tech or Virginia as I watched both) he scored a TD and well after he crossed the goal line an opposing defensive back got in his face and as these boys will do, they started pushing and yapping back and forth with the other player shoving Downs in the face. Downs simply raised his hands in the TD signal. Now that I think about it I think it was Virginia Tech as they are more prone to doing this sort of thing. As they were standing next to each other I was surprised at how small Downs appeared to be next to the opposing player. That said, he stood his ground pretty well and gave him yap for yap as it were.

slugboy

Staff member
Here's the havoc rate from the Clemson game (https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401282627)

ClemsonGeorgia Tech
Total 0.1530.108
Front Seven0.1110.108
DB 0.0420.000

It looks like one big issue was that we did OK in the front 7, but we either didn't blitz or didn't blitz effectively from the DB positions.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I mean the DBs weren’t blitzing or generating havoc numbers. I also can’t get numbers from the NIU game, but I don’t recall us getting many blitzes home from DBs in that game either.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Of course, if I was Thacker in a press conference I'd tell the press whatever I wanted the UNC coaches to believe. "Blitz? Pfft. No way we can blitz that guy. He's just too good. Nope, we are running base 4-3 all game because Howell is the next Tom Brady." Even if he doesn't plan to bring much pressure (I doubt it) I think the right response is "Nope. He's too good to blitz."

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like the biggest difference between Clemson and UNC that will give us the most trouble besides the QBs is the offensive lines, Clemson has a lot of OL problems and the OL seems to be a really strong point with the Tarheels. Hard for me to see us getting much pressure with our front 4.
Might help us if White were ready, don't have any idea about him and I'm sure they are not going to let anyone know.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If Howell scores a couple of quick touchdowns on us it may force our offense out of our game plan which could cascade into a long day of self destruction.

On the other hand, if our defense can play like it did against Clemson, our offense may get the time it needs to slice and dice UNC.

To me this is the kind of matchup where either team could win by more than two touchdowns. Our defense will be the key in my opinion.
Love the optimism. No way we win by 2 TDs as we just don’t score enough points and holding HND under 30 would be a good defensive effort. Howell won’t miss open receivers like Clemson’s QB did. He can run as well. This will be the best offense we face, a notch above Pitt.