UNC just hired Former D coordinator Gene Chizik

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Somewhat related to the subject, if Bammer beats UGAG, it will be that their O is spectacular, not so much their D. Will their D need to get some stops? Sure, but they will live or die with the O. Today’s game is just different in that regard. To Saban’s credit, he came to this realization years back.

Chizik doesn’t have to be great at UNC - he just needs to get some stops.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Somewhat related to the subject, if Bammer beats UGAG, it will be that their O is spectacular, not so much their D. Will their D need to get some stops? Sure, but they will live or die with the O. Today’s game is just different in that regard. To Saban’s credit, he came to this realization years back.

Chizik doesn’t have to be great at UNC - he just needs to get some stops.

Chizik wasn’t hired to do that. Bateman got some stops as well. Chizik needs to be good there

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Chizik wasn’t hired to do that. Bateman got some stops as well. Chizik needs to be good there
Well, I guess you missed my point. My point is a D coordinator who gives up 28 or less on avg. and gets off the field 50-60% of the time in today’s offense-based game is considered pretty successful. (For most teams). Their D this year was awful.

Guess I should have said “a few more stops”. That is “good”, but not “great”.

If you disagree, fine.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
So, Chizik gets no credit for winning the MNC as a head coach of that team? Interesting.

And you’re basically glossing over the fact that Thacker has been retained as our DC, when you start talking about Collins past results as a DC. Who’s in charge? There’s been no announcement.

Y’all are hilarious if you would choose Thacker over Chizik.
Here are a few hilarious thoughts.
That any power 5 DC would come to Tech for what Thacker was paid.
That we couldn’t find a better DC than Chizik for the 750k UNC is dishing out.
And throw in that most people think that the Auburn bag men had more to do with the NC than the head coach!

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
If you guys read the most recent transfer-commit’s post carefully, he mentioned he was ‘excited to have a Defensive minded HC calling the plays.’

Sounds like Geoff is telling recruits he’s calling the plays on defense. Half of you are probably pissed off about that, but what that means is Geoff is fighting for his life; what DC is gonna come into that environment? Geoff likes Thacker, who is young and showed some promise at the start of the season before the entire secondary seemingly disappeared after the UNC game. We retained Thacker as a figurehead. If Geoff succeeds, Thacker will learn underneath him and continue to improve. He isn’t even 40 yet iirc.

If Geoff fails, we’ll have a new staff, HC and DC in 2023. But if you’re gonna complain that we didn’t hire anyone, please rationalize that 1) we were never going to and 2) no one you would have been happy with would have taken the job

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
So, Chizik gets no credit for winning the MNC as a head coach of that team? Interesting.

And you’re basically glossing over the fact that Thacker has been retained as our DC, when you start talking about Collins past results as a DC. Who’s in charge? There’s been no announcement.

Y’all are hilarious if you would choose Thacker over Chizik.

Chizik had a generational QB and an inventive offensive coordinator that overcame a bad defense to win the national championship. Malzan and Cam left and Chizik had a losing record. Gus came back and had them back in the national title game.

I don’t think everyone saying “eh” is necessarily saying they’d take Thacker over Chizik. It’s more of a “eh, that’s not much of an improvement, not really anything to get upset about.”

I’m not happy about Thacker still being the DC, but this is just not something I care about. Chizik is not a great hire that would change anything drastically, so “eh”.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Chizik had a generational QB and an inventive offensive coordinator that overcame a bad defense to win the national championship. Malzan and Cam left and Chizik had a losing record. Gus came back and had them back in the national title game.

I don’t think everyone saying “eh” is necessarily saying they’d take Thacker over Chizik. It’s more of a “eh, that’s not much of an improvement, not really anything to get upset about.”

I’m not happy about Thacker still being the DC, but this is just not something I care about. Chizik is not a great hire that would change anything drastically, so “eh”.
In his book about what a great system he had , hectalked about getting the team going. Yea, basically in mid season they let Cam just do what it takes. Genius.

He could be a good dc , but he has no standing as a hc

Jmonty71

Banned
Smart move. He will take a less that defensive team and make them good. He is smart enough to hire a fire cracker of an OC.. So, we'll see what comes of it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you guys read the most recent transfer-commit’s post carefully, he mentioned he was ‘excited to have a Defensive minded HC calling the plays.’

Sounds like Geoff is telling recruits he’s calling the plays on defense. Half of you are probably pissed off about that, but what that means is Geoff is fighting for his life; what DC is gonna come into that environment? Geoff likes Thacker, who is young and showed some promise at the start of the season before the entire secondary seemingly disappeared after the UNC game. We retained Thacker as a figurehead. If Geoff succeeds, Thacker will learn underneath him and continue to improve. He isn’t even 40 yet iirc.

If Geoff fails, we’ll have a new staff, HC and DC in 2023. But if you’re gonna complain that we didn’t hire anyone, please rationalize that 1) we were never going to and 2) no one you would have been happy with would have taken the job
Just to clarify, you say we are paying Thacker just to be a figurehead!?

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Just to clarify, you say we are paying Thacker just to be a figurehead!?
Think of him as a Defensive Analyst. We were going to have to pay him for 2022 anyway (You can thank Pepper Rodgers for that one - look it up) so this gets him off the field/out of the pressbox, etc., and allows for an amicable departure within his profession.

As for the "DC" title, see if he comes out of the next few days (post-Coaches Convention) with a new job at another program.