UNC DC Geoff Collins

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I assumed the “he had talent” and “they were good already” would come out. Whatever makes you happy.

As for what he’ll do at UNC I have no idea. I hope he fails miserably and wouldn’t be surprised if he did but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did well. I’m not going to throw out some things he did that were positive because I can’t stand him and think he was one of the worst head coaches I’ve ever seen at any level.
It certainly doesn’t make me happy…but I pulled together some info a while back, and the idea that he coasted on momentum that was already there in previous stops (including by as an HC) is fairly well supported.

That being said, I think it’s very possible that he does well as DC. As has been stated, being an HC is drastically different than being a DC. Perhaps the focus is what will work best for him.

I could see it happening. But IMO, it’s slightly more likely that his biggest strength is still as a recruiter, and his coaching abilities don’t live up to it. Guess we’ll see soon enough.

EDIT: But I still cringe to see his cheesy antics going down at UNC. I have no use for that team, but can’t stand to see this BS.

On a plus side, maybe we’ll see them lifting weights on the sideline at their stadium this fall. So I guess there’s that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Who is their projected QB?
Max Johnson - was at A&M the last two years, at LSU the two years before that. Pretty good stats in 2021 at LSU, but that's the only season he has played all the way through. Looks like he was not the starter coming out of camp last year, starter got hurt so he stepped in, then was benched the final 3 games of the season for someone else.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I want him to fail, but mainly because he is in our conference. It is self-destructive to hold bitterness inside. It is like a strong acid that eats away at whatever holds it. My insides don’t need that. Ha!
He was off my radar until he went to a conference foe. Now that he is coaching in conference, I wish for a painful and humiliating failure.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Max Johnson - was at A&M the last two years, at LSU the two years before that. Pretty good stats in 2021 at LSU, but that's the only season he has played all the way through. Looks like he was not the starter coming out of camp last year, starter got hurt so he stepped in, then was benched the final 3 games of the season for someone else.
In 2022, Haynes King was named the starter over Max Johnson for week 1. A&M lost to App State week 2 and Johnson took over, but after another couple of games Jimbo changed his mind, and the rest of the season the QB game was a three-headed mess between King, Johnson, and 5-star freshman Connor Weigman. Weigman eventually won out and is now the presumed starter for Elko after a season-ending injury last year. Johnson didn't play much the rest of the season and ended up at UNC. King played well against #1 Alabama but apparently not well enough to keep the job. Thank goodness, since I'm happy he's with us.

I suppose in this era of the transfer portal it's inevitable stories will be this intertwined. King was #13 and Johnson was #14.

1715192698038.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Who is their projected QB?
Doesn't matter. The only QBs that idiot could shutdown was his own. I'm sure he hasn't learned anything since leaving GT. They won't get the defensive signals in on time, he'll have the wrong guys on the field, they will get dumb penalities and his players will miss assignments. Outside of that he'll probably do great explaining all the great plays while he gets his butt pounded.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most of the defenses he coordinated "at a pretty high level" were already at that level before he showed up, and he was only there a year or two. While our defenses were generally not good under CPJ, Collins came in and as self-appointed defensive guru, made them worse. We were notoriously bad at giving up a 1st on "Money Down".

UNC's defense was actually worse than Tech's last year, so it shouldn't take much to improve them, but they also aren't going to be nearly as good on offense with Maye and Walker gone, so the defense could be on the field even more. And I don't see where Collins has ever taken a bad defense and made it elite.

Also the last DC at UNC, Chizik, was also known as a strong defensive guy and had even been DC at UNC before improving an atrocious defense, but unlike Collins, he had actually WON a Broyles Award, won a natty as a DC, and won a natty as a HC, and helped Auburn go undefeated in 2004.

Now, perhaps Collins is better than Chizik these days and can help improve UNC. But I wouldn't count on it.
Like you, I also can’t remember Collins taking a bad defense and making it good.

Perhaps someone on here has an example and can set us straight. But I am just so so glad he’s not our problem anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The issue of holding bitterness inside is valid. It’s only a game after all.

Wonder how much bitterness Collins holds toward Tech? From his perspective we were unappreciative of his immense coaching skills, mistreated him, did not acknowledge the elite level of talent he was accumulating, and never understood that he was here to clean up a huge mess.

I have NO Doubt that Collins would like nothing better than to crush Tech. Key may want to do some special prepping of King because Collins will be putting a bounty on his head.

The only think that would shock me would be if Tech vs UNC was just a normal game this year without a lot of emotion / revenge motivation mixed in on both sides.

slugboy

Staff member
I have hope that our defensive coaches are better. Some coaches want to teach the fun stuff, some spend more time on basics. We didn’t have enough basics.

UNC has a cakewalk schedule next year. They have FSU, but no Clemson, no Miami.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I have hope that our defensive coaches are better. Some coaches want to teach the fun stuff, some spend more time on basics. We didn’t have enough basics.

UNC has a cakewalk schedule next year. They have FSU, but no Clemson, no Miami.

But they're notorious for blowing 1-2 that they're favored in.

slugboy

Staff member
Fortunately for Carolina, they do not have to play elite teams like Citadel, Temple, UCF, or Northern Illinois.
I’m not sure what you mean by “like”, but they face a James Madison that was gutted by a coaching exit and the portal. They also face Charlotte and NC Central.
Their conference schedule is Duke, Pitt, GT, UVA, FSU, Wake, BC, and NCST. I’m only surprised they didn’t get Syracuse instead of FSU.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure what you mean by “like”, but they face a James Madison that was gutted by a coaching exit and the portal. They also face Charlotte and NC Central.
Their conference schedule is Duke, Pitt, GT, UVA, FSU, Wake, BC, and NCST. I’m only surprised they didn’t get Syracuse instead of FSU.
(psst...he's just pointing to "elite" G5 schools that beat a certain coach when he was at a certain trade school)