UNC, Baseball

How any games will GT win over UNC this week? (Assume 3 played)

Votes: 5 14.7%

Votes: 14 41.2%

Votes: 14 41.2%

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another possibility is that Dawson is pitching better than anyone else at this point. His start against Clemson was exceptional. But he was not good until the Clemson start, when he stopped after 4.0 with a tightness. Maybe he has continued that.

If he doesn't have it tonight and gives up his average of 5 ER from his first 5 appearances, then it's on Slow Hook for not getting him out sooner.

View attachment 14259
It could be as simple as the weather in terms of his worse outings. I could be wrong but I believe all the bad ones (and certainly the Miami one) were in freezing temps. He may have a hard time gripping the ball or perhaps the movement is subdued the colder it gets.
He pitched better as the year went on last year too IIRC.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Bad day to pick to be in Atlanta. 1st game in a while and our Team looked done.

Atrocious baserunning got us a very dissatisfying 3rd. Min 2 runs should have scored there.

Whole universe KNEW Brown was going to get shelled after the 4 pitch walk and wild throw to 1st in the 4th. Well, except Hall and Borrell. If you didn’t realize it then, well NO REASON FOR NOT KNOWING AFTER HIT BATTER.

Team gave up after that. Sorry but we even dropped a K throw around we were so disinterested.

I’ve not been on the Hall/Borrell posse, but unless we pull off a miracle DH sweep tomorrow count me in.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
My view on Dawson Brown is that he is a reliever or perhaps an opener, but he is limited to that. If you lift him after 2 innings he has a 3.21 ERA, with 4 of those 5 runs coming in the UGa game. Trying to get 3 out of him is a 50/50 proposition. I don't know who is the #3 starter, but it isn't Dawson Brown. But given the right role I think he can be very valuable.

I noticed that Dalton Smith pitched well today. Maybe we can get him going, that would be nice.

Last edited:

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
We are way behind where I hoped/thought we would be pitching wise, better offensively and a touch worse defensively. Pitching is what matters most in conference and tournament play.

While I thought we'd be about 500 in ACC now, I didn't expect the total blowouts. Most importantly, I thought we'd be in the mid-40s right now in RPI and not 61 or so. We have recruited way too much talent to be there. And we better be 3 over 500 ACC going into the UVa series since they'll be playing for a super regional host spot. But we may since we have Pitt coming up. Another 1 win week to 50% of the season gone and it's going to get very hard to move the RPI needle.
View attachment 14252

There are always guys getting hurt for every team. Worse than usual, probably. Chandler's injury last year probably cost us a regional host.

Whether we are close to getting over the hump or circling the drain while getting flushed will only be known in time.
Interesting graph for sure so thanks for sharing. To your point on the importance of pitching in conference and tourney play. It would be interesting to look specifically at pitching recruits only for PG ratings. I mention this as my hypothesis would be our pitching recruiting has not been as strong as our position player recruiting (which would explain a lot) but I haven't really looked at that data.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting graph for sure so thanks for sharing. To your point re the importance of pitching in conference and tourney play - it would be interesting to look specifically at pitching recruits only for PG ratings. I mention this as my hypothesis would be our pitching recruiting has not been as strong as our position player recruiting (which would explain a lot) but I haven't really looked at that data.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My view on Dawson Brown is that he is a reliever or perhaps an opener, but he is limited to that. If you lift him after 2 innings he has a 3.21 ERA, with 4 of those 5 runs coming in the UGa game. Trying to get 3 out of him is a 50/50 proposition. I don't know who is the #3 starter, but it isn't Dawson Brown. But given the right role I think he can be very valuable.

I noticed that Dalton Smith pitched well today. Maybe we can get him going, that would be nice.
That's my opinion of Brown too. It seems like the second time through the order teams tee off on him. But he has been excellent the first time through the order. If McGuire can get extended, I'd put him as the third starter and move Brown to the pen as a high leverage reliever.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting graph for sure so thanks for sharing. To your point on the importance of pitching in conference and tourney play. It would be interesting to look specifically at pitching recruits only for PG ratings. I mention this as my hypothesis would be our pitching recruiting has not been as strong as our position player recruiting (which would explain a lot) but I haven't really looked at that data.

Good suggestion. I can't relate our pitching Perfect Game classes to other teams (way too much work since I don't have the entire database), but I can look at average pitching national ratings within the GT classes.

Next time I'm motivated, I'll do that. I think we have recruited better non-pitcher recruits on average than pitchers over the last 15 years. But looking at the 2022 and 2021 classes, we got a lot of highly ranked pitchers. Each with their own story of course. Most of our pitchers don't contribute statistically significantly, but again I can't relate that to other teams. This link has the PG rankings and you can select different years: https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?college=1628&grad=2022

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone have stats on how often we give up walks? They are game killers. Pitching is the most important aspect of baseball.
I only keep track of ACC games and the UGa series, but Ramblinwreck.com has the full stats here:

Comparing this season to last in ACC games and the UGa series, and focusing on just the top 11 pitchers, (aka toss out the mop-up guys in for the blow-outs) last season we allowed 6.9 BB+HBP/9 innings. This season that has "improved" to 6.1 BB+HBP/9 innings. I would argue that 6.1 is still too high, but it is a good bit better than last season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have stats on how often we give up walks? They are game killers. Pitching is the most important aspect of baseball.
This is a continuing theme since the beginning of time. We are terrible in this pitching category. Here are some relevant stats:

5.31 Walks Allowed per 9IP (215th of 295 nationally)
1.76 WHIP (225th of 295 nationally)

So frustrating. Leadoff walks. Sets up pressure on everybody (pitcher and defense). By far the most frustrating part (for me) to endure.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I only keep track of ACC games and the UGa series, but Ramblinwreck.com has the full stats here:

Comparing this season to last in ACC games and the UGa series, and focusing on just the top 11 pitchers, (aka toss out the mop-up guys in for the blow-outs) last season we allowed 6.9 BB+HBP/9 innings. This season that has "improved" to 6.1 BB+HBP/9 innings. I would argue that 6.1 is still too high, but it is a good bit better than last season.
Thanks. It sure seems high.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a continuing theme since the beginning of time. We are terrible in this pitching category. Here are some relevant stats:

5.31 Walks Allowed per 9IP (215th of 295 nationally)
1.76 WHIP (225th of 295 nationally)

So frustrating. Leadoff walks. Sets up pressure on everybody (pitcher and defense). By far the most frustrating part (for me) to endure.
My HS coach told me if I walked a man with bases empty he would pull me immediately.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Stick a fork in this team, the season is done, but I’m sure Hall and Borrell will return next year, so we got that going for us, which is nice. Gungalagoonga