Unbeatens through 5 Weeks

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Through the first 5 weeks of the 2014 college football season, there remain 17 unbeaten teams. Two are 5-0 (Nebraska and Texas A&M), one is 3-0 (TCU), while the remaining 14 are 4-0.

Conference breakdown:
SEC = 5
Pac12 = 3
Big12 = 3
ACC = 2
Independents = 2
B1G = 1
Group of 5 = 1

Only 3 of the 17 unbeatens are not ranked in the top 25, Arizona (29), Marshall (30), and Ga Tech (31).

At least 4 unbeaten teams will take their first loss this weekend as we have 4 battles of unbeatens starting tonight:
Arizona (29) @ Oregon (2)
Alabama (3) @ Ole Miss (11)
Oklahoma (4) @ TCU (25)
Texas A&M (6) @ Miss St (12)

I am ok with being the lowest ranked unbeaten at this point in the year. The only way we make it to the 4 team playoff this year is to go undefeated, and if we do that we'll be in. I don't expect much respect through the first 10 games but to finish with wins over Clemson, UGA, & FSU will secure our spot. Alternately, lose a game or two but take the Coastal and we will be in a good bowl game.

Marshall's schedule is really bad. Even if they finish undefeated they won't be considered seriously for a playoff spot.

BYU on the other hand, could be interesting. They don't have a super tough schedule, but they did whip Texas in week 2 and finish the season @ Cal. They also have Boise St and UCF on the schedule but both are down compared to years past. We know first hand how tough BYU can be, but I'm not sure that the selection committee will give them enough credit.

The only way an unbeaten from one of the Power 5 (or Notre Dame) doesn't make it in is if there are more than 4 unbeatens at the end of the year. I just don't see that happening any time soon. Therefore, we just need to continue to "survive and advance". Just win baby. I am cautiously optimistic about this week vs Miami.

Disclaimer: I am only interested in this subject because Tech is unbeaten. Once Tech loses, I will have no interest in the subject of unbeatens whatsoever.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
From here on out, there will be 4-6, top 25 teams lose each week due to everyone getting into the meat of their schedule. I have my fingers crossed that we will keep getting better each week. My long range forecast for the end of the season: ACC - FSU undefeated or lose to ND, SEC champ with at least one loss. Oregon - one loss, Baylor/ OU undefeated, Michigan St - one loss, ND - one loss, and BYU - undefeated. If all conference champs have one loss and "IF" East Carolina, BYU, and ND do not lose again, it could get very interesting.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
From here on out, there will be 4-6, top 25 teams lose each week due to everyone getting into the meat of their schedule. I have my fingers crossed that we will keep getting better each week. My long range forecast for the end of the season: ACC - FSU undefeated or lose to ND, SEC champ with at least one loss. Oregon - one loss, Baylor/ OU undefeated, Michigan St - one loss, ND - one loss, and BYU - undefeated. If all conference champs have one loss and "IF" East Carolina, BYU, and ND do not lose again, it could get very interesting.
You got a head start