UMass Lowell

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok,
  1. That loss sucked
  2. It’s not a great sign for us to become a top four seed in the tournament
  3. Had we kept the interior players from last year, we wouldn’t have an imposing presence in the paint. We don’t have that paint presence now, but we were already missing it. We lost a couple of players I’d have liked to keep, but we have a deeper roster this year than we would have otherwise.
  4. We’re still missing a monster in the center
  5. Our players play hard, but they aren’t getting some things done that they need to
  6. Outside the top 150 or not, UMass Lowell had two or three players that I would like to have on our team.
  7. Hat tip: UMass Lowell played solid defense. If they weren’t playing us, I’d have enjoyed watching them play defense
  8. One drawback to being a P6 team: you can feel entitled to a win over a mid-major. The mid-major players know they have to fight for every win.
To me that's the #1 priority for us in the portal this year. We shouldn't be forced to play 6'6" Sacko at the 5 in this game. We'll also be losing Claude next year. Ndongo may yet be great for us in this role, but ideally he probably should play the 4. We need to add bulk and height that can defend the basket badly.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I just keep hoping that Terry and Ndongo are that much of a difference makers that we forget about this game as the season progresses.
I think Terry and Ndongo will make a difference. And, the team learning to play together and learn the system of the new coach.
So, I think by the middle of the season there will be noticeable improvements.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Ok,
  1. That loss sucked
  2. It’s not a great sign for us to become a top four seed in the tournament
  3. Had we kept the interior players from last year, we wouldn’t have an imposing presence in the paint. We don’t have that paint presence now, but we were already missing it. We lost a couple of players I’d have liked to keep, but we have a deeper roster this year than we would have otherwise.
  4. We’re still missing a monster in the center
  5. Our players play hard, but they aren’t getting some things done that they need to
  6. Outside the top 150 or not, UMass Lowell had two or three players that I would like to have on our team.
  7. Hat tip: UMass Lowell played solid defense. If they weren’t playing us, I’d have enjoyed watching them play defense
  8. One drawback to being a P6 team: you can feel entitled to a win over a mid-major. The mid-major players know they have to fight for every win.

The center was a grown man. #2 Hakim could get to the paint at will. Fletch with the afro could hoop. I was impressed with them as a whole.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
GSU thread (win) gets 6 pages.

Howard thread (win) gets 7 pages.

UM-Lowell (loss) gets 9 pages...and counting.

If it bleeds, it leads...
Lol it doesn’t help that there were 3 games and now there’s this long break. We’d be past this game and on to what would be tonight’s game normally.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To me that's the #1 priority for us in the portal this year. We shouldn't be forced to play 6'6" Sacko at the 5 in this game. We'll also be losing Claude next year. Ndongo may yet be great for us in this role, but ideally he probably should play the 4. We need to add bulk and height that can defend the basket badly.
yep--You could see this coming a mile away.Our 1st? transfer was a 6-11 guy from NCS that averaged 2 pts a game? hmm.The nest guys are smaller by a bunch (or are inexperienced).So far teams have scoreda lot near the basket. hmmm If I hear again how we are "long",I laugh.If you are long you should play good DEF and/or Rebound well..Neither is the case so far.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GSU thread (win) gets 6 pages.

Howard thread (win) gets 7 pages.

UM-Lowell (loss) gets 9 pages...and counting.

If it bleeds, it leads...

But aren't you contributing to the problem?

Sipping Gwen Stefani GIF by MOODMAN

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think this loss is as bad as everyone thinks it is. Umass Lowell is a pretty good team. Not great, but pretty good, and better than our team from last year. Obviously we play better competition than they do, but they were 24-8 last year and we were 13-18. They finished with a net ranking of 118 and we finished with a net ranking of 177. They had a 5-0 record in quad 3 games and a 24-5 record in quad 3&4 games. We had a 2-3 record in quad 3 games and a 10-4 record in quad 3&4 games. They would have been a tourney team last year but they lost to Vermont in their conference tournament. They went to the nit and we didn’t. #12 is clearly better than Rodney Howard and #2 is like the version of Deivon Smith that everyone wanted Deivon Smith to be, because he has the quickness of Deivon Smith but with way better skills and he can actually shoot and score. The guy with the fro can pretty much match any of our perimeter players, and he can drive to the basket better than all of our players.

We have improved our roster from last year, and I think we could have and should have beat this team, but UMass Lowell is pretty good and probably would have beat our team from last year going away. The only thing that might have changed the outcome in a hypothetical match up last year would have been whether Pastner’s zone defense would have made a difference.