UMass Lowell

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
thomas haden church nbc GIF by HULU

I remember Lowell from Wings. Had no idea he had a plan to beat our team.
That's him. Lowell knew how to get it done.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Still committed after 3 games? I would certainly hope so...
Having watched a few of CDS's press conferences, I always end up with the feeling that he is just kind of winging it out there. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree, watching his press conferences doesn’t inspire me at all.
Good lord, did y’all ever watch a Pastner press conference? It was like they plucked the man out of an insane asylum. His answers were mostly rambling nonsense completely unrelated to the questions he was asked or even to basketball.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Good lord, did y’all ever watch a Pastner press conference? It was like they plucked the man out of an insane asylum. His answers were mostly rambling nonsense completely unrelated to the questions he was asked or even to basketball.

Yup. Just got out brains beat in and he’s talking about lute Olson or not drinking soda.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
One hopes they would not.

I think the reason why past NBA coaches have come to college and failed is the arrogance of thinking they didn't have to adapt to college. Thinking 'if it worked in the nba, surely it'll work on these lowly college teams'.

The ones that do well seem to have learned from that recent past. I don't have much fear, especially considering he's done well(ish) in his prior collegiate stint, that Stoudamire isn't aware of the need to be a college coach as opposed to 'an NBA coach doing college'.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason why past NBA coaches have come to college and failed is the arrogance of thinking they didn't have to adapt to college. Thinking 'if it worked in the nba, surely it'll work on these lowly college teams'.

The ones that do well seem to have learned from that recent past. I don't have much fear, especially considering he's done well(ish) in his prior collegiate stint, that Stoudamire isn't aware of the need to be a college coach as opposed to 'an NBA coach doing college'.
Agree… I have seen some coaches do some strange things in their “wooing” of recruits too. I’m all for targeting the guy who can take over a game but the really successful programs get that guy (or guys) and play within a team framework.
We talk a lot about winning one on ones and that’s certainly important, but I don’t see sustained success at the college level with that alone. The college game is not geared toward that style of play… yet.

ETA - I THINK I agree with you regarding CDS’s last college stop at Pacific but it’s a very small sample size. I think we’re going to have to accept some on the job learning (similar to our FB program). I don’t expect NCAA tournament teams right out of the gate, but I’m hoping he’s a quick study and has us trending upward very quickly

Last edited:

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to repeat this from the AJC
The Yellow Jackets (2-1) gave up 44 points in the paint, missed 10 free throws and allowed 29 defensive rebounds. They dug themselves a double-digit hole in the second half that proved too much to overcome.
If that doesn't tell you where the problem is, nothing will. 44 Points in the paint!!! gave up 29 defensive ( their offense) rebounds. That's NOT a roster problem, or starting lineup problem. But it is fixable.

Just so we're clear on this as it could be confusing or maybe it was just me...

REB GT UML
TTL 44 42
OFF 18 13
DEF 26 29

I'm not saying this is good or acceptable, but the thought of giving up 29 offensive rebounds to any team made me cringe. That equates to a lot of second chance points. Them having 29 defensive rebounds confirms what I saw watching the game. We had a poor shooting night. And way too many of those rebounds were only contested amongst the multiple blue shirts beneath the goal.

That being said, I'm willing to accept that we're three games into a significant shift in the program. New coaches, new system, new players few of which have played together for longer than a couple months. While I'm definitely disappointed in this result and the effort I saw in certain areas (how can we not hit a FT?, why are we not contesting RBs, pretty sure I can hit 1-21 3pt attempts), I'm willing to accept a shift of this size is going to take longer than 3 games to navigate. I still saw fight as UML had their largest lead of 11 with under 5 and a half minutes left. It was tied with a minute and a half left. Yes, we choked it away at the end which was disappointing.

Too early to start giving up yet. Give it time to see if the team can gel.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

REB GT UML
TTL 44 42
OFF 18 13
DEF 26 29

I'm not saying this is good or acceptable, but the thought of giving up 29 offensive rebounds to any team made me cringe. That equates to a lot of second chance points. Them having 29 defensive rebounds confirms what I saw watching the game. We had a poor shooting night. And way too many of those rebounds were only contested amongst the multiple blue shirts beneath the goal.

That being said, I'm willing to accept that we're three games into a significant shift in the program. New coaches, new system, new players few of which have played together for longer than a couple months. While I'm definitely disappointed in this result and the effort I saw in certain areas (how can we not hit a FT?, why are we not contesting RBs, pretty sure I can hit 1-21 3pt attempts), I'm willing to accept a shift of this size is going to take longer than 3 games to navigate. I still saw fight as UML had their largest lead of 11 with under 5 and a half minutes left. It was tied with a minute and a half left. Yes, we choked it away at the end which was disappointing.

That will be an interesting team to watch. #2, 10 and 12 are 5th year dudes. You can tell they've played a lot of ball together.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

REB GT UML
TTL 44 42
OFF 18 13
DEF 26 29

I first read 29 OFFENSIVE rebounds too…. Which was truly offensive. :D
Thanks for clarifying. Odd terminology saying that we “gave up” 29 defensive boards. That’s much more an indicator of poor shooting (and poor shot selection) than anything else. But I would rather be missing shots than committing turnovers.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I first read 29 OFFENSIVE rebounds too…. Which was truly offensive. :D
Thanks for clarifying. Odd terminology saying that we “gave up” 29 defensive boards. That’s much more an indicator of poor shooting (and poor shot selection) than anything else. But I would rather be missing shots than committing turnovers.
Points in the paint is worst statistic to me, since it has occured in all the games,

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still committed after 3 games? I would certainly hope so...
Having watched a few of CDS's press conferences, I always end up with the feeling that he is just kind of winging it out there. I hope I'm wrong.

Hahaha...the guy comes from the NBA where every aspect of the game is dissected and analyzed.

Watch CDS during every timeout. He has GA's and other assistants tracking and charting every shot that goes up (from us and the other squad).

I can assure you that he ain't winging it. He knows exactly what he wants to do, and he has emphasized attention to detail from day 1.

One thing that GT fans have never understood, regardless of who the coach is, is that its a process. It's not like flipping a switch.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
To me one of the biggest things Tech needs to improve is their out of conference record. Cremins led GT to many post seasons with around a .500 conference record. Of course ACC was a real gauntlet in those days.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
To me one of the biggest things Tech needs to improve is their out of conference record. Cremins led GT to many post seasons with around a .500 conference record. Of course ACC was a real gauntlet in those days.
The gap between the power conferences and the mid and low majors was much greater then. The best players used to play 3 or 4 years in college, mostly in power conferences.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

As a sometimes-wise man once said, “Have to agree with @kg01 on this one …”

slugboy

Staff member
Ok,
  1. That loss sucked
  2. It’s not a great sign for us to become a top four seed in the tournament
  3. Had we kept the interior players from last year, we wouldn’t have an imposing presence in the paint. We don’t have that paint presence now, but we were already missing it. We lost a couple of players I’d have liked to keep, but we have a deeper roster this year than we would have otherwise.
  4. We’re still missing a monster in the center
  5. Our players play hard, but they aren’t getting some things done that they need to
  6. Outside the top 150 or not, UMass Lowell had two or three players that I would like to have on our team.
  7. Hat tip: UMass Lowell played solid defense. If they weren’t playing us, I’d have enjoyed watching them play defense
  8. One drawback to being a P6 team: you can feel entitled to a win over a mid-major. The mid-major players know they have to fight for every win.