UMass Lowell

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Based on what I have seen so far, we better hope CDS can recruit. I feel like I am watching pick up basketball. On defense do we play anything but man to man? We are getting killed inside. On offense it literally looks like street ball. I hope I'm wrong but not overly impressed so far.
My sentiments are the same. It’s hard to even watch. And during his press conference he seems like everything is great and he’s completely lost. Really discouraging to see this was our hire after so many bad years of basketball. I didn’t understand the hire and still don’t. Hope he proves otherwise.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m assuming you meant above any other big man on offense?

Gapare needs to go on the Moses Wright/Evan Cole in-season development plan. I mean he’s played 40 minutes this season and has 2 points, 6 rebounds, and 8 fouls. Not sure why he’s starting. He needs a reset for his own sake.

I’d like to see more of Dowuona, but that’s probably not happening with Ndongo getting healthy and crowding front court.

Sacko played his best game today. I was extremely impressed with him running a 3 on 1 break and completing an assist on a smooth dish.

I still think Wacie Reeves is the X-factor. If he plays/shoots well, it takes a ton of pressure off Miles Kelly (who’s obviously been pressing all season).

To me, the main issue is this. Our two best offensive players, Kelly and Deebo (who has gotten so much better in all areas), aren’t quick enough creators off the dribble to give this offense enough space to be successful. Sturdivant can’t get downhill quickly either. Abram is more of a perimeter scorer it seems. Deivon Smith gave us that last year and we didn’t replace him with an athletic ball handler who can break a guy down off the dribble (I do think Terry gives us some us that but not enough).
Yep - I was saying of the big men on offense. I love Dowuaona's energy on the roll as he commands help with how hard he rolls - but if he gets the ball more than 3 feet from the basket it is an automatic turnover. I think he has the potential to be more of an interior defender but he can't stay on the floor. Claude can get the ball at the foul line off a quick pass out of the pick/roll and has the skills to drive or kick to a wing. And he is legit on the block. But his interior D - especially help off a drive - is not ACC level.

I will pick up your thought that we don't really have the personnel to run an NBA style space and isolate type of offense even with the high pick and roll. We need to run more structured sets to create advantages for players. We have some of those in our kit - Deebo got an open 3 off a nice 1-4 set with a flex cut. And against GSU we ran a set with multiple down screens that worked well. But the base space and drive offense isn't the best for us.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Last year we finished the year winning 6 of the last 9 against ACC opponents. Yes, there was some weaker teams in there but we had some momentum and we were set to return everyone except Franklin. Now I'm sure some would have transferred out anyways, but likely not nearly as much as did, and IMO the expectations for Pastner would have been to make the NCAAT. There were enough pieces there to do so, and what the team did 5+ years ago doesn't affect the performance this year.

I don't see why that expectation should be lowered because we chose to fire Pastner and bring in a new coach? Yes, we've had transfers but you're naïve if you don't think multiple of them were told to find a new home and of the players we had last year 4 of the top 5 returned so it wasn't like we had our best players poached. The roster overhaul is a choice the new staff made and if that overhaul causes us to take a step back then was it a good decision?
Pastner made 2 NCAAT as a 9 seed in 7 years. How you translate that to expecting this year’s team to make the NCAAT is beyond crazy. The team had zero interior players capable of playing Division 1 BB much less against top half ACC Teams.

He had no recruits of note coming in and his Portal success was meh at best over his tenure.

With 20 ACC Games it would require GT winning 14 minimum with a decent ACCT to sniff the NCAAT. GT’s roster was no where close to that level.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not crazy about the statement, "I know what I signed up for and I'm still committed." That sounds ominous to me. A few explanatory words might be helpful. Is it roster imbalance? Talent level? Patchwork transfer lineup? Bad fundamentals? Poor S&C? All of the above? If so, what is the plan to address it?
Stick to the process of getting the players to play to their ability and play as hard as possible. Did you think this team was going to waltz thru the season? If so based on what?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Not crazy about the statement, "I know what I signed up for and I'm still committed." That sounds ominous to me. A few explanatory words might be helpful. Is it roster imbalance? Talent level? Patchwork transfer lineup? Bad fundamentals? Poor S&C? All of the above? If so, what is the plan to address it?
Think all he’s saying is he’s not going to throw the baby out with the bath water.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to repeat this from the AJC
The Yellow Jackets (2-1) gave up 44 points in the paint, missed 10 free throws and allowed 29 defensive rebounds. They dug themselves a double-digit hole in the second half that proved too much to overcome.
If that doesn't tell you where the problem is, nothing will. 44 Points in the paint!!! gave up 29 defensive ( their offense) rebounds. That's NOT a roster problem, or starting lineup problem. But it is fixable.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Here's the statement:

"We have 28 more of these and it will be continued growth. I knew what I signed up for,”

If you listened to the full post game press conference, he provided all the context. He talked about the shortcomings, but said he was proud of the guys for fighting.

This was a learning experience and about continued growth. He knew what he signed up, meaning there is a lot of work to do to be at the level he expects.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Last year we finished the year winning 6 of the last 9 against ACC opponents. Yes, there was some weaker teams in there but we had some momentum and we were set to return everyone except Franklin. Now I'm sure some would have transferred out anyways, but likely not nearly as much as did, and IMO the expectations for Pastner would have been to make the NCAAT. There were enough pieces there to do so, and what the team did 5+ years ago doesn't affect the performance this year.

I don't see why that expectation should be lowered because we chose to fire Pastner and bring in a new coach? Yes, we've had transfers but you're naïve if you don't think multiple of them were told to find a new home and of the players we had last year 4 of the top 5 returned so it wasn't like we had our best players poached. The roster overhaul is a choice the new staff made and if that overhaul causes us to take a step back then was it a good decision?

As many excuses as you threw out for years for Pastner, surely you're not questioning the new guy after 3 games? Let's be equitable here.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven’t figured out the streaming thing either, so haven’t seen the games, but listened on the radio from Tampa.
I knew this game, as they all, would be tough.
My thoughts once we have the other guys return:
Coleman will start. Ndongo likely will start. Not sure about Abrams and Sturdivant.
Terry will be an offensive spark off the bench, as Claude will likely be.
Sacko and Gapare should get some minutes.
Go Jackets!

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think any of our players are quick enough to stay in front of their man. They consistently get beat and the inside help just fouls and creates an and 1 situation. Same thing happened last year on the few times we played man.
Pastner played primarily zone for a reason. I don't know how quickness can be improved much.
Bob
THWg

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t figured out the streaming thing either, so haven’t seen the games, but listened on the radio from Tampa.
I knew this game, as they all, would be tough.
My thoughts once we have the other guys return:
Coleman will start. Ndongo likely will start. Not sure about Abrams and Sturdivant.
Terry will be an offensive spark off the bench, as Claude will likely be.
Sacko and Gapare should get some minutes.
Go Jackets!

I'm not overly convinced Gapare should get any time right now.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not overly convinced Gapare should get any time right now.
In one sense, Stoudamire has to do two things—he has to coach for the game and he has to coach for the season. There are players who aren’t the best option to win a game today that need game experience with their teammates to be able to contribute in January and February. Balancing how many minutes to give them is tough, but if they don’t play they won’t get better. End of game mop up duty doesn’t help.

Not that I have a stomach for watching a 7 point lead turn into an equal deficit.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do we rebound yet?
I haven’t had a chance to see us play yet. I’m going to have to get in on this streaming business apparently (can’t believe there is no TV for Cincy either)!

Back to the original question… do we protect the glass? Is Umass Lowell scoring in the paint as a product of their offense or are they cleaning up on second chances?
Got my answer. Thanks.
:oops:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
In one sense, Stoudamire has to do two things—he has to coach for the game and he has to coach for the season. There are players who aren’t the best option to win a game today that need game experience with their teammates to be able to contribute in January and February. Balancing how many minutes to give them is tough, but if they don’t play they won’t get better. End of game mop up duty doesn’t help.

Not that I have a stomach for watching a 7 point lead turn into an equal deficit.
Agree with this. Now is the best time for growing pains. Hopefully it will pay dividends sooner rather than later.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pastner made 2 NCAAT as a 9 seed in 7 years. How you translate that to expecting this year’s team to make the NCAAT is beyond crazy. The team had zero interior players capable of playing Division 1 BB much less against top half ACC Teams.

Because basketball isn't a sequence to extrapolate out. What Pastner did in 2018 has no impact on what he was returning in 2023. We were returning a back court in an extremely good condition. A 5th year PG (Sturdivant) who finished last year strong (12.5 points and a near 3 to 1` A/T ratio) a 5th year wing (Terry) who averaged double digits last year and shot 39% from 3, a junior wing (Kelly) who averaged 14.4 and shot 38% from 3, another junior wing (Coleman) who averaged 9.5 and struggled a bit shooting last year but shot over 40% as a freshman on 100+ attempts. We were also scheduled to return a junior PG who averaged 8 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 3.7 assists (to 1.3 TOs).

We also had a 4star shooting guard signed in Blue Cain. Not committed. Signed So you're wrong about no recruits of note coming in.

That back court situation alone warranted belief that we should be competitive in conference and compete for an NCAAT spot. You aren't going to have that level of experience and proveness in today's game that often.

As far as the inside goes it was where we had, and still have a weakness. But the claim we had no D1 players is either an extreme exaggeration or shows you don't understand what D1 actually is. Regardless Howard was an okay piece although a weakness teams could target, but Moore had tremendous potential and rebounded at a good rate. It would be reasonable to assume he would improve into a quality piece as a junior the same way we saw several players under Pastner do just that. It's also reasonable that Pastner would find a serviceable big in the portal. You say his portal success was meh, but Banks, Usher, Parham, Sturdivant, Terry, and Franklin were all good pieces for us. Not world beaters but good. The back court we had scheduled to return, with Moore taking a step forward and one good inside transfer piece should have been enough to contend for the dance. Now would we have? No way of knowing, but the expectation would have been NCAAT regardless.

As many excuses as you threw out for years for Pastner, surely you're not questioning the new guy after 3 games? Let's be equitable here.

I've already said one game isn't the end of the world the same as when we had some early season losses under Pastner, and I pointed to the injuries as possible issues just like when we had Jose injured and Ush sitting out.

But just like I called out Pastner for his over reliance on tiny ball line ups and neglecting getting his bigs the game experience they need, I'm going to do the same for Staudamire when he's having players come off the bench who are clearly outplaying starters and we're lamenting slow starts.

I'm also not going to pretend the year 1s are the same or even similar situations. Pastner inherited a team that lost it's top 5 players. Staudamire inherited a team returning 4 of it's top 5 players and is working with the portal system that allows for easier quick fixes. I'm not expecting a miracle, but there is enough there for Staudamire to work with to be respectable. And we very well could end up being that.

And even if Staudamire fails this year, it isn't guaranteed that he will always do so. It's possible he's a tremendous recruiter who will be able to recruit his way to success or he could learn how to deal with new pieces better since he likely didn't have to deal with that too much at pacific. He'll have his opportunity regardless.

But questioning the decision to start Abram and Gapare is a very reasonable criticism even three games in.

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
Not crazy about the statement, "I know what I signed up for and I'm still committed." That sounds ominous to me.
Still committed after 3 games? I would certainly hope so...
Having watched a few of CDS's press conferences, I always end up with the feeling that he is just kind of winging it out there. I hope I'm wrong.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Because basketball isn't a sequence to extrapolate out. What Pastner did in 2018 has no impact on what he was returning in 2023. We were returning a back court in an extremely good condition. A 5th year PG (Sturdivant) who finished last year strong (12.5 points and a near 3 to 1` A/T ratio) a 5th year wing (Terry) who averaged double digits last year and shot 39% from 3, a junior wing (Kelly) who averaged 14.4 and shot 38% from 3, another junior wing (Coleman) who averaged 9.5 and struggled a bit shooting last year but shot over 40% as a freshman on 100+ attempts. We were also scheduled to return a junior PG who averaged 8 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 3.7 assists (to 1.3 TOs).

We also had a 4star shooting guard signed in Blue Cain. Not committed. Signed So you're wrong about no recruits of note coming in.

That back court situation alone warranted belief that we should be competitive in conference and compete for an NCAAT spot. You aren't going to have that level of experience and proveness in today's game that often.

As far as the inside goes it was where we had, and still have a weakness. But the claim we had no D1 players is either an extreme exaggeration or shows you don't understand what D1 actually is. Regardless Howard was an okay piece although a weakness teams could target, but Moore had tremendous potential and rebounded at a good rate. It would be reasonable to assume he would improve into a quality piece as a junior the same way we saw several players under Pastner do just that. It's also reasonable that Pastner would find a serviceable big in the portal. You say his portal success was meh, but Banks, Usher, Parham, Sturdivant, Terry, and Franklin were all good pieces for us. Not world beaters but good. The back court we had scheduled to return, with Moore taking a step forward and one good inside transfer piece should have been enough to contend for the dance. Now would we have? No way of knowing, but the expectation would have been NCAAT regardless.

I've already said one game isn't the end of the world the same as when we had some early season losses under Pastner, and I pointed to the injuries as possible issues just like when we had Jose injured and Ush sitting out.

But just like I called out Pastner for his over reliance on tiny ball line ups and neglecting getting his bigs the game experience they need, I'm going to do the same for Staudamire when he's having players come off the bench who are clearly outplaying starters and we're lamenting slow starts.

I'm also not going to pretend the year 1s are the same or even similar situations. Pastner inherited a team that lost it's top 5 players. Staudamire inherited a team returning 4 of it's top 5 players and is working with the portal system that allows for easier quick fixes. I'm not expecting a miracle, but there is enough there for Staudamire to work with to be respectable. And we very well could end up being that.

And even if Staudamire fails this year, it isn't guaranteed that he will always do so. It's possible he's a tremendous recruiter who will be able to recruit his way to success or he could learn how to deal with new pieces better since he likely didn't have to deal with that too much at pacific. He'll have his opportunity regardless.

But questioning the decision to start Abram and Gapare is a very reasonable criticism even three games in.
CDS may be using these games to see what he's got in game situations. Perhaps his plan is to use this season as a "slingshot" to next season with recruiting and transfers. He has to see what we really have and what we really need to make those positive steps. Maybe....

ETA: Yes, CDS is very chill... almost too much so.