UMass Lowell

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Last season they didn’t hit a ton of triples but they were top 20 in 3ptFg%. They haven’t shot it as well to start this season.

They are also a fairly small team with their biggest regulars being 6’8 and 6’7.

I think TC5 has a big day.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vegas line is GT -4.5, but I saw Greg Peterson had UMASS Lowell as a short favorite.

They're the more connected, savvy team as they have played together for a while, whereas we are still in the process of gelling.

They're going to play well like older teams generally do, but we have a good bit of experience as well. Another good early season test.

Found these nuggets on their website that I believe are very pertinent to our game:

INSIDE JOB
The River Hawks' have relied on their scoring from down low early this season, with an average of 54 points coming from inside the paint.

PERIMETER POWER
Heading into this season, Coach Duquette said one of the most important keys to success for his team this year would becoming an elite perimeter defense team. So far, so good, as the River Hawks are ranked second in the nation in three-point percentage defense.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I worry about them being an inside scoring team as we are not really a rim protecting team. We will need some improved inside help.

For a game like this we have to hope our athleticism/skill trumps their experience/cohesion. Long as we improve on defensive fundamentals (help - stay in front of your man - etc.) I think we will be fine.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do we rebound yet?
I haven’t had a chance to see us play yet. I’m going to have to get in on this streaming business apparently (can’t believe there is no TV for Cincy either)!

Back to the original question… do we protect the glass? Is Umass Lowell scoring in the paint as a product of their offense or are they cleaning up on second chances?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
In watching most of the first two games, I would say that Gapare and Reeves are both pretty good at timing a block, and Claude and Dowuona are both sufficient interior defenders. None of them are elite interior defenders, but I think Claude is an excellent rebounder.

It would be great to see some progress in our overall defensive effort. We have the athleticism and length to smother teams, but we haven't seen the effort and coordination for extended periods of time yet. I am hoping we can turn a corner with our defense soon--before we hit the harder portion of the schedule. Win or lose, I am still excited about the potential of this team!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I worry about them being an inside scoring team as we are not really a rim protecting team. We will need some improved inside help.

For a game like this we have to hope our athleticism/skill trumps their experience/cohesion. Long as we improve on defensive fundamentals (help - stay in front of your man - etc.) I think we will be fine.
I don't think I have seen anyone on our team step up and take a charge in two games. If we continue to let them drive to the rim without anyone stepping in to block their path then we will continue to have issues on the inside.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
CDS said they disrespected Howard. I expect a good effort tonight on the grounds alone that they are going to take the River Hawks seriously. This is their Super Bowl and they will nab you if you are just looking forward to the Cincinnati game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I have seen anyone on our team step up and take a charge in two games. If we continue to let them drive to the rim without anyone stepping in to block their path then we will continue to have issues on the inside.
Charge/block rule has changed this year. I suspect you will see less of that as apparently most of the time it will be a block.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
CDS said they disrespected Howard. I expect a good effort tonight on the grounds alone that they are going to take the River Hawks seriously. This is their Super Bowl and they will nab you if you are just looking forward to the Cincinnati game.

Really? Where did he say that? Not doubting you. I'm just curious to hear those comments.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I don't remember CDS saying that the team disrespected Howard. Only that he told them mid-majors could be very dangerous. Maybe the same

Anyway, another preview:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Really? Where did he say that? Not doubting you. I'm just curious to hear those comments.
Thought it was a presser or something. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ets-to-be-tougher/UL3CN565B5EMFFNPNROFL7575Q/ the phrasing is a little different here (might be what I’m remembering) but he implies they didn’t respect the ability of Howard.

“At the end day, Howard, those guys put on their shorts the same way, they put on their jerseys the same way,” Stoudamire said. “You gotta respect them. And just because we’re here at Tech and they’re there doesn’t mean they can’t play. So that’s what I mean. We gotta respect the game.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thought it was a presser or something. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ets-to-be-tougher/UL3CN565B5EMFFNPNROFL7575Q/ the phrasing is a little different here (might be what I’m remembering) but he implies they didn’t respect the ability of Howard.

“At the end day, Howard, those guys put on their shorts the same way, they put on their jerseys the same way,” Stoudamire said. “You gotta respect them. And just because we’re here at Tech and they’re there doesn’t mean they can’t play. So that’s what I mean. We gotta respect the game.”

Yeah, that's the gist of what he was saying. Thanks.