UGA update

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
MSU was coming off more or less a rival game for them against LSU. The DWAGS had basically 2 weeks to prepare for them. MSU is not as bad as they looked, and the DWAGS are DEFINITELY NOT as good as they looked. Circumstances just played in their favor. That night, their D played fast and emotionally. Next week, who knows? About time for Smart to start showing something......

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mod needs to move this to proper forum.

As for the mutt D...let's see if they can contain Kelly.....I think they will not. Having said that, they need to actually give him touches more than they did vs UF. That cost then that game.

northgajacket

Banned
Yeah I think Eason will be playing for Mark Richt in Miami in 2019.

I think Eason is in the process of being forced out.

But as for uga, they really haven't played anybody. Notre Dame looked impotent. Miss. State was more overhyped than Al Capone's Vault, Samford, and the bootleg Mountaineers of App. State.

On the flip side, Tech really hasn't played anyone either TBH

Should've beat Tenn. ( but didn't and that is all that matters), Jax State, and a Pitt team that has to entice students to stay at the game with free beverages.

IMO this season is really Alabama and Clemson, then everyone else.

northgajacket

Banned
In 2013 after 5 games, UGA was ranked 6th in the country and had beaten two highly ranked SEC teams. They ended up 8-5 and unranked. They may end up being good, they may not. They are kings at generating hype though.

Remember its only September. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season (injuries,arrests, suspensions).

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind UGA being undefeated going into the game against us. Can you imagine what would happen to that fan base if we came out and beat them?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
One UGA fan asked me preseason about his team. I told him they would be good but the QB was slow and like Tech the season could turn on the QB play. His response was Eason didn't want to get hurt for his #1 draft pick. I bit my tongue so hard it bled. What a typical over evaluation.

UGA is good. Very good defense and hoard of running backs. Receivers appear improved. QB is still young despite early success and Eason may be transferring to playing with Dedrick Mills at the Gateway school.

Must admit their defense is scary good but our offense may be just the type to frustrate them. On offense you have to stop their run. If both teams can keep it up, may be a big game.

They are very talented, as always, and have a as you put it, a scary good defense. Maybe the best UGA team since Aaron Murray's senior year. 2013? 2012? The year they won their division and played Alabama for the conference championship and came within a whisker of winning. Not saying this edition is as good as that team but they are going to be a handful and like always their schedule is shall we say suddenly less than challenging.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah I think Eason will be playing for Mark Richt in Miami in 2019.

Either that or retreat back to the Pacific NW where, per many dawg fans, he'll be more comfortable competition-wise.

Oh and don't get too attached to Fromme. Apparently the dawgs got the next sCam Newton all set to come in next year in the Fields kid. Shhhh, nobody tell him they're prolly gonna move him to TE.

Where's Ramsey while all this is going down? I were sure he were the next Peyton Brady. :rolleyes:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Either that or retreat back to the Pacific NW where, per many dawg fans, he'll be more comfortable competition-wise.

Oh and don't get too attached to Fromme. Apparently the dawgs got the next sCam Newton all set to come in next year in the Fields kid. Shhhh, nobody tell him they're prolly gonna move him to TE.

Where's Ramsey while all this is going down? I were sure he were the next Peyton Brady. :rolleyes:
Fromm will probably wind up transferring also when he disappoints and the UGAG staff tries out Fields.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Mod needs to move this to proper forum.

As for the mutt D...let's see if they can contain Kelly.....I think they will not. Having said that, they need to actually give him touches more than they did vs UF. That cost then that game.

This is a good forum to put this thread in because it's not a discussion about UGA per se, but what Tech can expect to see from them come November. If Tech had beaten UGA in Atlanta as often as they have in Athens over the years, then it might be a little premature for the discussion. However, Tech hasn't beaten a UGA team at Grant Field in almost 20 years; prior to that, you have to go back another 10 years to the 1989 season. Taking the Jasper Sanks fumble into consideration, the 1989 home win was the last decisive win the Jackets have gotten over the Bulldogs in Atlanta. Think about it: just two wins over the in-state rival in nearly thirty years at Grant Field. In the 1970s, half the spectators at a Tech-UGA game at Sanford Stadium would be wearing gold. These days, not only is their stadium almost entirely Bulldog red, but so is BDS. Grant Field is almost like a home-game environment for the Bulldogs. High ticket prices keep a lot of Tech fans away, but I suspect a lot of season-ticket holders sell their tickets, similar to what we saw at Notre Dame a couple weeks ago.

There will be a lot of pressure on them up in Knoxville, coming off a big win on national TV and having to do it again in front of a large, hostile crowd. And Tennessee will be fired up. But the Dogs may eke out a win there, might actually win against Florida (considering how Florida played against Kentucky), and they'll probably beat South Carolina. Auburn's having a down year, so that may be a UGA win as well. Unless Fromm regresses considerably this season or some of their key players get injured, they're probably not going to lose the boneheaded games they often lose from year to year against the Vandys and Kentuckys of the league. So, they could conceivably be a 1- /2-loss team by the time they come to Atlanta in November. People around the UGA program sense something different about this season; the fans sense it, the players sense it... even veterans from the 1980 team have said they sense it. People are already talking "2012", if not "1980".

The Jackets generated a lot of offense against Pitt, but there were too many turnovers. Turnovers and poor special teams play were the difference in the game against Tennessee. If Tech turns the ball over like that against UGA, then the Jackets don't have a chance. UGA always seems to take advantage of opportunities against Tech. If the offense is relatively turnover-free, then I think they will do reasonably well against Georgia's defense. Maybe really well. Tech's defense may actually be pretty effective against the UGA offense if they pressure Fromm and get him off balance enough, make them a one-dimensional offense and rely on the run. Special teams has to do its job, too. I think the home atmosphere will be really good for Tech. Statistically speaking, a Tech win in Atlanta has been long overdue. So, the Jackets may be due this year. It will be a big game.

It would probably be good for Jacob Eason if he transferred down to Miami. Always thought he'd have been a better QB with Coach Richt taking him under his wing.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think Eason is in the process of being forced out.

But as for uga, they really haven't played anybody. Notre Dame looked impotent. Miss. State was more overhyped than Al Capone's Vault, Samford, and the bootleg Mountaineers of App. State.

notre dame, though, has looked pretty good, other than the Georgia game. Granted, they weren't playing murderers' row, but they have looked very good offensively against lesser competition.
The SEC East remains really weak. South Carolina isn't very good. Kentucky is still Kentucky. And Vanderbilt really thought they were on the way until Alabama kicked them back down the hill. Florida could start putting it all together. They've got the talent.
Auburn also may have started hitting its stride. Perhaps having White and Cowart pack their bags was addition by subtraction. Don't know. But Georgia goes to the loveliest village on the plains this year and that could be a L for UGa.
I think the Dogs know this is their year to win the East. If they don't, they may never break Florida's grip on it.