UGA @ GT game thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Who's making excuses? We screwed the pooch on a few key plays that was the difference. If Vad hits the wide open Godhigh before the end of the half, we win. If Butker makes the missed fg, we win. If we get that stop on 4th and four, we win.

If Vad doesn't panic throw that pick off his back foot, we have a better shot. If he could make option reads, we'd have a better shot.

Those aren't excuses. I think we should've been successful in all those plays,
I
It stinks, but did you really think that we were going to blow them out?

ToddM

Guys,

I have apparently gone to far in my thoughts of the game and the players. My language has resulted in my last post being deleted by the administrator as I have been informed I made a personal attack on the kicker. I feel that if it were allowed to stand you could determine if it required editing or not. However the rules must be respected.

If I have offended anyone during this season I am sorry for doing so. I am an avid tech fan and I expect a lot. I do not feel that our expectations are high enough when we pat them on the back and say it's ok, as long as you tried hard you are good.

John, Eric and others, this is best Tech site I have ever seen keep up the good work.

However I will tell you the other site did not survive because the guy running it edited its members thoughts and or corrected what they said on his site.

To Hell with Georgia !

Take care guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anybody is saying it's ok to do you best and play hard. This isn't little league. We lost in double overtime to a team that has 85 players on it's roster that out talents us 3 to 1 with or without the guys they were missing.

What if the roles were reversed? What if we came out of the gate sluggish and got down 20 pts? What if we came roaring back and tied the game and went to 2 overtimes and lost? It's really no different when things happen. It's just moving them around within the game time.

In the end, 2 or 3 plays separated these two teams on the field where a gulf separates them in perceived talent and expectations.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah... the offense just isn't productive... :confused:
please...

It's not a question of the offense not being productive but rather "at the expense of what is the offense productive?"

We can beat ACC teams not named Clemson,Miami or VPI as well as other middling FBS competition while running a system that does not attract even middle tier talent, a system that has to be scrapped when superior competition faces us like today. We ran very little triple option plays today and the counter option that was very effective against many teams in the past -think the Kansas blowout- seems to no longer work and was totally scrapped from today's game plan since had it been in the game dwag linebackers would've followed our guards right to the play like Clemson did 2 weeks ago.

We have success though obscurity and not much more, teams have learned how to defend this offense and it is only though the high turnover of defensive personnel, one week prep time and conference strength of our opponents that we are able to win 7 games a year without the talent level of recruits we had when CPJ first took over (07 class).

So I wonder how good is having an offense that puts up 400+ yards and 5 touchdowns a game if those numbers are driven by blowouts against lesser or/and unprepared opponents while we can't recruit the personnel that allows us to execute better on both sides of the ball (yes, other teams use the "do you want to get chop blocked all day in practice?" line when recruiting our defensive targets) and win against the better opposition (UM, VPI, Clemson and Ugag) that keeps us from contending in our conference and winning that battle in our state?

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not a question of the offense not being productive but rather "at the expense of what is the offense productive?"

We can beat ACC teams not named Clemson,Miami or VPI as well as other middling FBS competition while running a system that does not attract even middle tier talent, a system that has to be scrapped when superior competition faces us like today. We ran very little triple option plays today and the counter option that was very effective against many teams in the past -think the Kansas blowout- seems to no longer work and was totally scrapped from today's game plan since had it been in the game dwag linebackers would've followed our guards right to the play like Clemson did 2 weeks ago.

We have success though obscurity and not much more, teams have learned how to defend this offense and it is only though the high turnover of defensive personnel, one week prep time and conference strength of our opponents that we are able to win 7 games a year without the talent level of recruits we had when CPJ first took over (07 class).

So I wonder how good is having an offense that puts up 400+ yards and 5 touchdowns a game if those numbers are driven by blowouts against lesser or/and unprepared opponents while we can't recruit the personnel that allows us to execute better on both sides of the ball (yes, other teams use the "do you want to get chop blocked all day in practice?" line when recruiting our defensive targets) and win against the better opposition (UM, VPI, Clemson and Ugag) that keeps us from contending in our conference and winning that battle in our state?

I think the offense can work if Johnson balances it out. We have largely been a one trick pony for years and have been beaten, often ugly, when we force the option when opposing defenses are beating it. But look at today. We put up 34 on Georgia with a RS Sophomore QB. Lost in double overtime. All season, many of us have been calling for more of a short passing game. And it worked, and kept us in the game, when the option was largely getting shutdown, especially on the outside. The difference in today's game was our pass defense. And that issue is largely one of recruiting.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the offense can work if Johnson balances it out. We have largely been a one trick pony for years and have been beaten, often ugly, when we force the option when opposing defenses are beating it. But look at today. We put up 34 on Georgia with a RS Sophomore QB. Lost in double overtime. All season, many of us have been calling for more of a short passing game. And it worked, and kept us in the game, when the option was largely getting shutdown, especially on the outside. The difference in today's game was our pass defense. And that issue is largely one of recruiting.

Maybe with a more balanced offense like today's we can become more attractive to recruits and make more teams pay when they sell out to stop the option. Maybe today was a turning point in a sense with Vad Lee proving he can add another dimension to the offense that Nesbitt and Tevin never could. I, like many have been hoping for a while that our offense would be more that of CPJ's Hawaii days than his Navy tenure, maybe today proves it can and should be.

As for the secondary, like another poster said maybe if we had Holton and Isiah Johnson all season our secondary collapses of Clemson and today would not have happened or at least would be minor collapses that wouldn't cost us the game.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
As for the secondary, like another poster said maybe if we had Holton and Isiah Johnson all season our secondary collapses of Clemson and today would not have happened or at least would be minor collapses that wouldn't cost us the game.

This and I think that our lack of consistent pass rush has a lot to do with it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If you can't take losing to Ga most of the time, then go to Family Dollar, buy you a ga shirt and jump on the bandwagon and say we run this state. Unless we do away with the requirements that we have this is how it's gonna be. Until winning becomes more important than tarnishing a tech degree we will have a huge disadvantage. We could get Saban and we might win 4 outta 10 against them. Prob 2-3 though.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Worst thing for me is this is the best chance we had or will have to beat UGA for awhile..backup QB, backup WRs and a ton out at DB. Just hurts to lose this one and finish with 7 wins again.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We were also out two guys destined to be our starting WRs and our starting safeties, and our starting qb has less time in our program than their backup in theirs.

The idea that their injuries hurt the team with greater recruiting depth more than our injuries hurt us, I don't get.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting.

As I noted earlier on another thread UGA recruiting has averaged finishing 10th nationally in the classes 2010 - 2013.
GT recruiting has averaged finishing 55th nationally in the classes 2010 - 2013.

It all boils down to recruiting. Coaching only goes so far. UGA coaching just took their 10th nationally recruiting classes and managed to coach them to a 8 - 4 season, 5 - 3 in the conference. That is a disgrace. But since they beat GT it is OK. Think small, finish small.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We were also out two guys destined to be our starting WRs and our starting safeties, and our starting qb has less time in our program than their backup in theirs.

The idea that their injuries hurt the team with greater recruiting depth more than our injuries hurt us, I don't get.

I didnt say it hurt us more than them...I'm saying that was the best chance we had or will have to beat them in the distant future.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I didnt say it hurt us more than them...I'm saying that was the best chance we had or will have to beat them in the distant future.

I'm not positive this is true. Seems the impact of their loses was minimized by (1) depth of talent and (2) our own loses, specifically in our secondary.

If they keep their DC, I venture to say this will be a more evenly matched game than the recruiting rankings suggest it should be for the next few years.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'm not positive this is true. Seems the impact of their loses was minimized by (1) depth of talent and (2) our own loses, specifically in our secondary.

If they keep their DC, I venture to say this will be a more evenly matched game than the recruiting rankings suggest it should be for the next few years.

UGA loses 1 guy on defense...Garrison Smith.

On offense they lose 1 starter at WR and 3 on the OL.

GT loses 6 starters on defense 2 DE, 1 DT,1 LB, 2 DB's(including our two best players in Thomas and Attaochu)

GT loses 5 starters on offense 1 A back, B Back, 3 OL (including our best playmaker in Godhigh)

I think we have a lot of question marks next year....Where is the pass rush going to come from, who's going to step up at A back, who's going to block up front, whos gonna be the CB's?

I think things lined up almost perfectly for us this year as Murray was out and we had a first time starter coming in, playing at home, etc... but we just didn't finish it off...I honestly thought we would win.

Grantham doesn't have long left.

This is just my opinion of course and I would love to be wrong but I just think this was our best shot for the next few years.