UGA games decided by the refs (before instant replay)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, there are 2 entire games that georgia acts like didn't even happen and doesn't count them as losses in the series record. With over 30 arrests in the last several years and a 41% graduation rate, nobody really cares much about what they think. They live and die based on football and have sold their university off to win games.

I would gladly cede those two games if Georgia would fork over all the games Vince Dooley won with players who didn't even go to class (proven in a court of law by the Jan Kemp case).

Deleted member 2897

I would gladly cede those two games if Georgia would fork over all the games Vince Dooley won with players who didn't even go to class (proven in a court of law by the Jan Kemp case).

I am pretty sure the UNC Flagler School of Business did a case study on that that resulted in the migration to a Fake University.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if you all remember, but on big plays, usually long running plays, Dooley could usually be seen running down the sideline cheering his team, 2-3 yards out onto the field of play. Half the team would be out across the sideline with him. I always wondered why they were never flagged for that. I admired his enthusiasm, but it was illegal for a coach to be out on the playing field while play was ensuing, much less for all the players. I've never seen a team routinely commit sideline violations like that and never get penalized for it.

This is probably a topic for another thread... But why is it so hard for the Jackets to beat UGA at Grant Field? It can't be because of all the UGA fans in the stands. There have been too many wins in Athens for that to be the issue. Statistically speaking, it defies chance to have lost so many at home!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

I don't know if you all remember, but on big plays, usually long running plays, Dooley could usually be seen running down the sideline cheering his team, 2-3 yards out onto the field of play. Half the team would be out across the sideline with him. I always wondered why they were never flagged for that. I admired his enthusiasm, but it was illegal for a coach to be out on the playing field while play was ensuing, much less for all the players. I've never seen a team routinely commit sideline violations like that and never get penalized for it.

This is probably a topic for another thread... But why is it so hard for the Jackets to beat UGA at Grant Field? It can't be because of all the UGA fans in the stands. There have been too many wins in Athens for that to be the issue. Statistically speaking, it defies chance to have lost so many at home!

That could start a 30 page thread all by itself on the usual topics. :D

giphy.gif

In my 48 years of watching this game,
Tech has won 13 times
9 times in Athens
4 in Atlanta.
In most of the Athens wins, we were just the better team coming in. 1974 we were about the same but it was a very wet cold day and UGA was not ready for our wishbone attack, a lot like 2008.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the one that pi**ed me off the most of them all. It was a late flag, as if the SEC official realized it was the last chance to save the game after the interception (?) so he threw the flag.
And, they changed the call after the game to holding, which also could not have been called in that circumstance. Also, 1991, the bogus roughing the kicker call after "Big Play Clay's" punt return with about 1 minute left.

Animal02

Banned

Pretty depressing for the team to walk on the field and see more than half the stands red.