UGA game slomo replay obesrvations

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Watched game in slomo which never do and my observations.

Offense
CPJ started game by not blocking either defensive lineman on side running ball to and GT tackle blocking cornerback. Confused UGA defensively and may have also lead to long pass to Stewart. To UGA credit, they altered defense in 2nd half from 4 down linemen and triangle linebackers in first half to more of a 5-2 look in second half.
Thomas passed the ball very accurately and was key to winning. He didn't miss many and was more accurate than UGA 5 star QB. With that said, there were several times like before next to last offensive play where he could have turned it up and made some yards.
Marshall made some great runs and some not great runs. There was a series where he was way tentative.
Oline and Abacks played very well. Oline very much held their own against UGA defensive line and our tackles blocked out on UGA corners well.
Jeune, and Searcy at Aback, made some nice blocks. And the missile shot at end by Searcy will go down in hstory.
All-in-all offense was strong but when things went bad it was primarily UGA adjustments, getting a little cute with play calling and Thomas failure to cut it up. Two examples where got cute were the counter calls and tackle eligible.
Nevertheless, coach made some great calls offensively including beginning of game strategy, calling same play twice for big Searcy pass and mixing up pulling lineman early with straight ahead power blocking late.
Defense
Consistently the defensive tackles got knocked backwards except #90 who held his own - sometimes. WE started in nickel went to 3 linebackers and that didn't work so went back to nickel.
Defensive ends played well particularly #42 and somewhat #41. #42 from backside and #41 setting the edge.
AJ Gray made some big plays. He is a star although his pass coverage on TE's needs work.

As far as who played, on offensive line it was primarily #79, #75, #58, #70, #65 but #50 got in as well.
On defense #6 played a fair amount at corner and #90 and #99 made some plays. Gamble although knocked back often just did not give up and made some plays late. Credit to him.
The bad
#54 was consistently knocked backwards, linebackers had a very so-so game although #40 and #49 made a few plays.
Defensive back play was inconsistent, pretty good coverage on long passes and did not let people beat them deep but weak against short pass. #20 on one long UGA pass made a good play to keep well thrown ball against man coverage from being a TD.

As far as UGA, their offensive line beat us bad but their wide receivers helped us some by either failing to block, dropping passes or running the wrong routes. On defense, they at times got confused as to who was to do what, particularly their safeties - on runs and passes.

Side note, I do worry you can time the snap when Aback almost crosses center but guess that is also true with spread offensive with WR in motion passing QB.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Watched game in slomo which never do and my observations.

Offense
CPJ started game by not blocking either defensive lineman on side running ball to and GT tackle blocking cornerback. Confused UGA defensively and may have also lead to long pass to Stewart. To UGA credit, they altered defense in 2nd half from 4 down linemen and triangle linebackers in first half to more of a 5-2 look in second half.
Thomas passed the ball very accurately and was key to winning. He didn't miss many and was more accurate than UGA 5 star QB. With that said, there were several times like before next to last offensive play where he could have turned it up and made some yards.
Marshall made some great runs and some not great runs. There was a series where he was way tentative.
Oline and Abacks played very well. Oline very much held their own against UGA defensive line and our tackles blocked out on UGA corners well.
Jeune, and Searcy at Aback, made some nice blocks. And the missile shot at end by Searcy will go down in hstory.
All-in-all offense was strong but when things went bad it was primarily UGA adjustments, getting a little cute with play calling and Thomas failure to cut it up. Two examples where got cute were the counter calls and tackle eligible.
Nevertheless, coach made some great calls offensively including beginning of game strategy, calling same play twice for big Searcy pass and mixing up pulling lineman early with straight ahead power blocking late.
Defense
Consistently the defensive tackles got knocked backwards except #90 who held his own - sometimes. WE started in nickel went to 3 linebackers and that didn't work so went back to nickel.
Defensive ends played well particularly #42 and somewhat #41. #42 from backside and #41 setting the edge.
AJ Gray made some big plays. He is a star although his pass coverage on TE's needs work.

As far as who played, on offensive line it was primarily #79, #75, #58, #70, #65 but #50 got in as well.
On defense #6 played a fair amount at corner and #90 and #99 made some plays. Gamble although knocked back often just did not give up and made some plays late. Credit to him.
The bad
#54 was consistently knocked backwards, linebackers had a very so-so game although #40 and #49 made a few plays.
Defensive back play was inconsistent, pretty good coverage on long passes and did not let people beat them deep but weak against short pass. #20 on one long UGA pass made a good play to keep well thrown ball against man coverage from being a TD.

As far as UGA, their offensive line beat us bad but their wide receivers helped us some by either failing to block, dropping passes or running the wrong routes. On defense, they at times got confused as to who was to do what, particularly their safeties - on runs and passes.

Side note, I do worry you can time the snap when Aback almost crosses center but guess that is also true with spread offensive with WR in motion passing QB.

#54 got destroyed the first 3 quarters. He did a slightly better job in the 4th holding the point of attack. The few times he was subbed out for #90 were the only times we held our ground. Why #90 isn't playing more is beyond me. He was able to stalemate a double team and get some penetration. He is a bright spot on our d-line going forward. #54 was consistently blown off the ball anywhere from 3 to 5 yards on almost every running play. On one play in the early third quarter he was blown off the ball 10 yards after which he was replaced for several plays. It's stuff like this along with scheme issues that frustrate the hell out of my regarding Roof.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
According to sources here, Adams isn't in good enough shape yet to play more then one series. Also, while he's an asset on run plays, he hasn't shown much in pass rush yet.

All of this is because he's a true frosh, imho. A year's worth of conditioning and work on techniques and he'll be a real factor for us. There's no question at all about his talent.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Put here because I can't figure anyplace else. But has anybody ever, in the history of college football, ever seen a worse Hail Mary pass? That thing went straight up and straight down like a mortar being fired at a position 10 yards down the field, and Georgia's bunched receivers were left standing on the goal line wondering what the heck? I briefly thought it had slipped out of his hand, but it went to high for that. The QB needs some work.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Put here because I can't figure anyplace else. But has anybody ever, in the history of college football, ever seen a worse Hail Mary pass? That thing went straight up and straight down like a mortar being fired at a position 10 yards down the field, and Georgia's bunched receivers were left standing on the goal line wondering what the heck? I briefly thought it had slipped out of his hand, but it went to high for that. The QB needs some work.

It wasn't a great attempt by any means, but I'm sure there have been worse. Eason was scrambling before the he threw it and I wonder if he threw before he was set.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't a great attempt by any means, but I'm sure there have been worse. Eason was scrambling before the he threw it and I wonder if he threw before he was set.
There was a GT rusher bearing down on him fast which caused him to throw it before he was set and was the likely cause of the poor pass. In fact I was at the game and originally thought the ball was tipped as the rusher was that close.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There was a GT rusher bearing down on him fast which caused him to throw it before he was set and was the likely cause of the poor pass. In fact I was at the game and originally thought the ball was tipped as the rusher was that close.
I just went back and looked. He did scramble, but actually got turned and squared up downfield with a defender crashing from his left. I think he had time to throw it to the end zone. Not a pretty throw, but nonetheless. And has anybody remembered that the last two GT wins over Georgia were ended with pass interceptions? If only we did that the first 11 games.

Kalvin Jonson

Georgia Tech Fan
If he had just rolled out right, he would have had a throw to the end zone. Instead, he rolled right, then turned back fearing pressure, and came back towards the rusher. He has the arm I'm sure, but not the pocket presence.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2014 and 2016, I think we had better players than uga. 2015 was such an injury year, it was hard to tell. But for '14 and '16, we seemed better at almost all position groups. Their DL is, doubtless, better than ours, but their DL doesn't play our DL. It plays against our OL, and I think we won that battle both years in athens. For us to be even, much less slightly ahead on the players we put on the field, with uga speaks well of our recruiting, development, and coaching. I believe (hope) this is now a trend. The longer the trend lasts, the stronger it will get as we win more recruiting battles with them.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
In 2014 and 2016, I think we had better players than uga. 2015 was such an injury year, it was hard to tell. But for '14 and '16, we seemed better at almost all position groups. Their DL is, doubtless, better than ours, but their DL doesn't play our DL. It plays against our OL, and I think we won that battle both years in athens. For us to be even, much less slightly ahead on the players we put on the field, with uga speaks well of our recruiting, development, and coaching. I believe (hope) this is now a trend. The longer the trend lasts, the stronger it will get as we win more recruiting battles with them.

Yeah. Last 4 games were a double OT loss, a OT win, a 13 - 7 loss and a one point win. For 4 years we have played them even. Either we are up or they are down.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Last 4 games were a double OT loss, a OT win, a 13 - 7 loss and a one point win. For 4 years we have played them even. Either we are up or they are down.
One thing to keep in mind is that Johnson has snarled on a couple of occasions that I can recall, when the powerful SEC and Georgia loomed, "I ain't afraid of 'em if that's what you mean." That probably is reflected between the white lines.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

When watching the live footage and then the replays, it looked like his throwing elbow/forearm got brushed by our pass rusher as he was letting go of the ball. Wasn't able to follow through with the throw and released it too soon. Eason can heave the ball practically 60 yards, if you saw that throw he made against Tennessee at the end of the UT game. A desperation game scenario with only about 20 seconds left, but not a desperation throw. It was a well-called play, and he hit Nauta (?) near the goal line in stride from midfield, placing the ball where only the receiver could get it.

As a UGA guy recently wrote in defense of Eason, his stats in virtually every individual category are considerably better than Matthew Stafford's were in his freshman season. Also many good throws that were dropped. Much of the UGA fan base is down on Eason because UGA fans seem to always dwell on the negative about everything (many are hoping Fromm, who is more of an Aaron Murray-type QB, will end up starting next year). The only thing Eason won't ever do well is improvise (escape tacklers) on busted plays or when the pocket collapses. He doesn't have the mobility or speed, but he has a good arm and decent accuracy. Thankfully, they don't seem to have a coach in Athens good at developing QBs at the moment. If Coach Richt were still in Athens, Eason would be almost scary good about now.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The way their line was blocking, if they has a QB who could run outside on a read option, then we would have been in trouble. We didn't have to worry about that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nah, that was world class, Olympic standard, record shattering.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It really was my fault. I was so worried about a jump ball in the end zone that I kept yelling at the screen "bad throw" and I think it had the desired effect.