UGA DC Todd Grantham to Louisville

LOL, they aren't getting Kirby Smart. He's making a lot of money at Bama and will only leave for a HC job. He'd be stupid to go to GA as a DC. Lateral move at best.
Isn't Grantham going from a coordinator at Georgia to a coordinator at Louisville less than a lateral move? You tell me how Louisville will fare recruiting in Atlanta, South Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee compared to Georgia. Even Paul Johnson might win over moms and dads if the alternative was Bobby Petrino.

Without going back and relistening to the interview, I don't think that is what Bobinski said. I think he just said that CPJ has made statements about being frustrated with the way the season worked out. I don't think he has ever said anything about being done or not wanting to be here.

At least not out loud!!!!

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Wommack wasnt a bad coach but when you lose a D-line that has Michael Johnson, Darryl Richard, and Vance Walker on it your definetly gonna struggle. Derrick Morgan was a beast but losing those other 3 cost Wommack his job.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Al Groh with SEC talent might surprise you.

I liked Wommack, I thought he was unfortunate that he was learning how to be a DC while losing a lot of extremely good players. I never liked Groh, the 3-4 defense, or his methodology. I doubt he would be more successful with the talent pool at UGA. I do not think we had a talent issue on D compared to most of the offenses we faced. His schemes are very complex, and there is limited time to practice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just can't see a guy leaving FSU, after winning it all in year 1, to go to Athens. There's nothing UGA can offer that FSU can't match in spades whether it's money, progress towards being a HC, etc. That sounds like typical dawg arrogance to me. I'm sure they'll target him but I'd be shocked if he wouldn't just use them to get a bump from the Noles.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Al Groh: Al Groh might do well at a school that gets the cream of the crop of the defensive linement (Georgia, LSU, Alabama, etal). The factories can recruit the nose guards and tackles required for this system. Tech was not a good fit for Groh.

Yes, FSU can match any offer from UGA for Pruitt, but the intangible is that Richt coached in the area and may have some friendships with Pruitt. However, the other intangible, negative, is the length of Richt's remaining tenure at UGA. At some point, I suspect Richt might hang it up and spend the rest of his time with a Christian organization and his grandchildren.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Those happy that TG left, still happy?

IMO, Pruitt still has a lot to prove. Considering what he inherited at FSU as DC (a stacked defense laden with high-ranked recruits and an offense led by a Heisman winner), I think you would have had to really suck to not get the job done there. I'm not taking anything away from him, I'm just saying I think it is a classic UGA move to overhype the crap out of something and commit to it prematurely. As a Tech fan, Grantham will certainly be missed, but I'm not particularly concerned about Pruitt.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Grantham's defense in 2011 was 3rd nationally in total defense. One season isn't enough to evaluate a coordinator, especially when he's walking into a situation that's loaded with talent.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, Pruitt still has a lot to prove. Considering what he inherited at FSU as DC (a stacked defense laden with high-ranked recruits and an offense led by a Heisman winner), I think you would have had to really suck to not get the job done there. I'm not taking anything away from him, I'm just saying I think it is a classic UGA move to overhype the crap out of something and commit to it prematurely. As a Tech fan, Grantham will certainly be missed, but I'm not particularly concerned about Pruitt.
Doesn't every fan base do at? (cough cough Vad Lee cough)