UCF beat by Tulsa

GTFLETCH

Banned
Georgia Tech losing to UCF and UCF being beat by Tulsa shows us along with the Syracuse loss how far we have to go. When we lost we were like UCF is the Top G5 team....However there is some crazy work that still needs to be done.

CHANGE MY MIND!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't imagine I will change your mind but there was a UCF guy here or another Tech site talking about Tulsa. Said for whatever reason that school was a bad matchup and seemed to have their number. A quick glance shows that Tulsa is 9 -3 all time in the series (not very old one btw) and Tulsa has now won four in a row. Sometimes schools just have matchup problems and it defies explanation.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Georgia Tech losing to UCF and UCF being beat by Tulsa shows us along with the Syracuse loss how far we have to go. When we lost we were like UCF is the Top G5 team....However there is some crazy work that still needs to be done.

CHANGE MY MIND!
I wouldn't read too much into the UCF loss as Tulsa has been a tough out for them. Add to that the refs threw all those penalties we were looking for, ie snap ball without line being set, lining up offsides, holding, etc. I swear UCF had 20 penalties.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the Tulsa Oklahoma St game and they deserved to win that one except for the penalties (15 for 120 yds) and drops. Tulsa was getting pressure rushing 3 against the Pokes 5 all game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I watched the Tulsa Oklahoma St game and they deserved to win that one except for the penalties (15 for 120 yds) and drops. Tulsa was getting pressure rushing 3 against the Pokes 5 all game.
They did the same to UCF. The announcers kept mentioning how many retreads the Tulsa team had from large programs, pointing out they’re almost a second home for ex-Oh St U and Az St players for some reason.

LibertyTurns

Banned
got some sh*tty fans.
Just because we’re P5 does not mean the universe of P5 teams are all crappy.

You can go back 25 years & I’ll concede I was out of country for most of half that period and had to keep up via AJC clippings mailed to me from my Mother in Law, but we’ve only been aligned behind our coach for 4-5 years of those 25- the last 4-5 years of O’Leary. Gomer was tolerated, great recruiter but the early 7 win malaise was damning. He never had the entire fanbase behind him. CPJ was seen as giving up on trying to compete by a large portion of the fanbase. It’s amazing we performed like we did with such a fractured fan base, particularly all the over the top negativity. I was hoping to see that go away. Now we got his alter ego & 10+ years of built up animosity’s coming out. I would have probably taken some care to unite the fanbase if I was leading the transition, but burning the bridge behind us is the path we took and you either love it, like it, tolerate it or go away.

slugboy

Staff member
Matchups may really matter. Tulsa may not have a lot of big plays on defense, but they’re reliably efficient. They’re a decent G5 team, but not a great one.

UCF is hovering just outside the top 25. This season for them will probably look like last year did, where they lost a few games to teams like Cincinnati and Tulsa.

Despite showing up in a sportswriter’s “bottom 25” a couple of times, we’re a middle of the road team this year. We’re a lot better than last year, but we still have some holes, including some places we’ve regressed since last season. Tulsa was a bad matchup for UCF, and UCF was both a good team and a bad matchup for us.

This is one of those years where we play a lot better and improve a lot, but the record doesn’t move much.

I’d love us to add Tulsa’s defensive efficiency to the rest of our game. We’d be 3-0 right now

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
This season has had numerous odd results already. Tulsa does seem to have UCFs number, but it’s hard to make judgements after 3 games. The time for evaluating how good our opponents were is toward the end of the year.

it was nice to win our first game of the year, but I think people raised their expectations too much. Let’s see how our team responds the rest of the year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I look at Tulsa-UCF kind of like us vs Duke under CPJ especially toward the end. Outside of teams named Clemson or UGA they probably played us the best.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Also, UCF got called for 18 penalties. The calls that the officials missed in the Tech game came back to bite them in this one.

Milwaukee

Banned

CHANGE MY MIND!

Collins right now seeing this font once AGAIN on Swarm:

8A5B71C5-36FA-4745-B585-543656E20EEC.gif