UCF 18 point favorites

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is a little misleading because of the COVID year. We count the guys from the 2020 class as Sophomores even if they are in their third year because the Covid year is a free year. Jordan Williams for example would be a Junior by experience and Vaipulu would be a R-So.
I believe the same true for the other team - they get a free year as well . Reading at comparable depth charts we are much younger.

We have plenty of young guys that will mature. Painful process that it is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You hope they will mature. Sometimes a guy gets a year older and simply just gets a year older, not a year better.
At gt we have recruits w plenty of advance placement class credits. Add in being smart, good tutors, classes in summer (?), a redshirt year and 2.5 years = near graduate. Talked to 2 player parents pre ole miss who said kids ready to contribute next year but will graduate soon.
Still have 3 years eligiblity.

Gt guys get $$ jobs so we need ways for them to enjoy and prosper while they mature andctrsin to Play.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the same true for the other team - they get a free year as well . Reading at comparable depth charts we are much younger.

We have plenty of young guys that will mature. Painful process that it is.
They do get the free year but UCF lists third year players as Jr for example instead of Sophomore like we do. They use a “5th year” designation to list the seniors who are using their extra year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They do get the free year but UCF lists third year players as Jr for example instead of Sophomore like we do. They use a “5th year” designation to list the seniors who are using their extra year.
sorry for delay - old people have things to do.

To try to convince you we are very young compared to ucf i checked the bio of starting 5 ol guys on each team

I looked up the freshman year and then counted years played counting this year.
The number that follows is what year they are playing this year?
UCF LT 5, LG 6, C 4, RG 4 , RT 6 AVERAGE OL is playing in their 5 TH YEAR OF FOOTBALL
Gt LT 2, LG 3, C 2, RG 2, RT 3 AVERAGE OL is playing in their 2.4 TH YEAR OF FOOTBALL

IN 2018 WE DID NOT TAKE OL RECRUITS and did not excessvily process out for 2019 class.

WE HAVE BEEN GETTING RECRUITS IN OL - THEY ARE JUST YOUNG.

IF THEY STAY TILL THIER ELEGIBILITY EXPIERES , WE WILL BE LOADED. most will just leave as they get their degree.

Still no excuse for look terrible.

Go Jackets

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
At gt we have recruits w plenty of advance placement class credits. Add in being smart, good tutors, classes in summer (?), a redshirt year and 2.5 years = near graduate. Talked to 2 player parents pre ole miss who said kids ready to contribute next year but will graduate soon.
Still have 3 years eligiblity.

Gt guys get $$ jobs so we need ways for them to enjoy and prosper while they mature andctrsin to Play.
there's being mature off the field and on the field. My point was just because they are a year older doesn't mean they know what to do on the field. Sometimes, they just get a year older.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
UCF isn’t going to take it easy on us like Ole Miss did. They want that P5 scalp and we are the perfect hostage. I expect us to play tough for a quarter as athletes always have some fire after getting smoked. But that’s all we have is a short burst. Once it gets down to work UCF will do what they want like every team does against a C****** prepared team.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This week's Analysis:

Offense: same as last week. The bottom line is that the OL is young (see iceeater's post), and we have no play makers at the skill positions. Smith getting healthy and getting 20-25 carries would help since he is the only guy who seems to get yards after contact. If he only has one series by the end of the first quarter, it will be a long day.

Defense: a lot of people blamed the defense for last week, but when Ole Miss runs 24 more plays than Tech by the end of the Third Quarter, it says that the offense is putting the D on the field. We knew Ole Miss would score points; the O had to keep up. They failed miserably and put the D in a bad position. UCF has a 4th and 5th year dominated OL and runs hurry up. This week is likely to be no different than last week, although I don't expect the score to be so lopsided. That is, unless we have more ST gaffes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
OL
Another way to think of it: your percent improvement is greater from soph to junior. Yea that last junior to senior year u become seasoned, but by mid year we should have drives where we look good.

Big question
Will we bring the defense up closer to the LOS? Lining up in standard defense has not worked because there are clear mismatches in talent. The d coaches telling the dl ( one player over 300#) to get pressure against senior dl is nit coaching.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
UCF will be VERY telling for the rest of the season. I said many times that Ole Miss would be a tough game because Lane Kiffin is an offensive savant. Ole Miss is a really good team, and I would not be surprised if they won the SEC West or came in second. Outside of Bama, I don't see anyone beating Ole Miss in the SEC West. Kiffin is finally maturing, and the guy has a LOT of support through the NIL collective Ole Miss put together...we know this because Jared Ivey was on the other sideline Saturday. IMO, Ole Miss is probably the 2nd or 3rd best team overall in the SEC and will probably end up in the top 10 at season's end. I thought we'd put up a better fight, but I was confident Ole Miss would put up points...I just never envisioned our offense would lay an egg along with a stinker from our defense.

UCF is many times more winnable than Ole Miss. The problem is, will our players have PTSD from the Ole Miss loss and a week's worth of hearing that their coach will be fired? If our players come out in a shell and get run off the field, I'm not sure Geoff will survive the following 48 hours regardless of the money issue. Will the players even listen to the staff anymore, or will they all be on the field trying to put together a good tape for the portal? If this team does not respond to coaching during UCF, and if the fire in this team is dead, then it's as good as over for this team.

This may be the longest season in my 30+ years as a GT fan. I saw the year of the Bill Lewis debacle, and I remember the year CPJ went 3-9....but none of those years has the heavy and ominous feeling I get with this team. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think this team is very fragile at the moment, and if UCF runs us off the field, I'm not sure this team has the ability to come back from it.
This could be the first game in CFB history where a player(s) actually transfers and leaves at halftime

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Be wary. Teams like UCF absolutely love to beat up on teams like GT who are in a higher rated conference and have previously achieved things they are striving for. They will be motivated. Not sure what we are playing for now.
If we've got any pride, we're playing for that. Money line pays +800. I would honestly give us a better than 1/8 chance of winning the game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If we've got any pride, we're playing for that. Money line pays +800. I would honestly give us a better than 1/8 chance of winning the game.
I agree with you, but it seems most computers disagree right now.

I've said it a lot, but if Sims has a breakout game, our offense will be night and day different. Guessing when that game will be is the hard part.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
sorry for delay - old people have things to do.

To try to convince you we are very young compared to ucf i checked the bio of starting 5 ol guys on each team

I looked up the freshman year and then counted years played counting this year.
The number that follows is what year they are playing this year?
UCF LT 5, LG 6, C 4, RG 4 , RT 6 AVERAGE OL is playing in their 5 TH YEAR OF FOOTBALL
Gt LT 2, LG 3, C 2, RG 2, RT 3 AVERAGE OL is playing in their 2.4 TH YEAR OF FOOTBALL

IN 2018 WE DID NOT TAKE OL RECRUITS and did not excessvily process out for 2019 class.

WE HAVE BEEN GETTING RECRUITS IN OL - THEY ARE JUST YOUNG.

IF THEY STAY TILL THIER ELEGIBILITY EXPIERES , WE WILL BE LOADED. most will just leave as they get their degree.

Still no excuse for look terrible.

Go Jackets
Still no excuse for look terrible. Yes, CGC has run out of excuses, IMO.