Two More Double-Option Plays to get Justin in the open field: Speed and Load

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to @Longestday for finding Vad running some Double Option against VPI. Two more double-option plays that we might see more of to take advantage of Justin's speed are the Speed Option and the Load Option.

IIrc, we ran the speed option a good bit with Dwyer and Ant at B-Back:
speed+option.jpg

Here (ripped from footballislifeblog), the speed option is diagrammed from trips (both A-backs, A&Z, lined up on playside). However, it can be run from the base formation. Here's an example of it with the playside A-back giving a counter motion before coming up as lead blocker:

Another Double-Option which can get the QB in space is the Load Option which uses the B-Back as the lead blocker:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we run the speed option against UVA last year that went for big yardage with Lee and Laskey?

I think so. I thought I remembered us using it against them as well but thought it was Justin in the 2nd qtr. It ends up that he ran some load option but not speed. So, yeah, it could be that I misremembered who QB'd, but correctly remembered that we ran it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE the 2nd one is neither, it is a double option though. It really is a belly option.

Thanks. What keys the difference(s) between them. Their both QB-AB double options, right? Is it the BB dive path, other blocking, or what?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks. What keys the difference(s) between them. Their both QB-AB double options, right? Is it the BB dive path, other blocking, or what?
Actually looking back the 3rd one probably is also. The Term. I'm used to is that a belly option refers more so to the reverse pivot, or the spin, of the QB on those two plays. The supplement play to that would be the give to the B back on the play side. You're right that the action of the back are for the most part the same. I'm sure there are lots of other ways, terminology, you could use for the same play, that's just the way I had always heard it. I believe it comes from the belly series from the t formation which was probably taken from the spinner series from the Single wing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks @zhavenor & @nodawgs.

I found it identified simply as a load option. Since then, I've found a playbook online which I think is related to CPJ's. It has load option & belly option as two different plays, both of which use the QB & RBs same/similar. They seem to differ in playside OL.

For the belly, the OT blocks the DT & the OG pulls outside, as in reg belly, but here seals the DE. For the Load, the OG blocks the DT, the OT goes to the next level, and psab blocks DE. This may have been @Longestday midline? option? play

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
The blocking looks really good - Allen gets his man to the ground at the right time; Earls is keeping his man occupied while we run past him. I don't recallus using the b-back toss sweep with Sims or Laskey. That play with Allen looked great!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we ran it twice last year both to Laskey. In the Clemson game on a pitch that Vad made with a defender right in Laskey's face and against UVA for a big gain. Vad made a good read and pitch in the UVA game. I'm thinking we are going to see much more of that play this year.