Two deep

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
What's it lookin like?

After some thoughts about our DL, and the fact IF whitehead and freeman are both as advertised, gotsis is obviously a lock, and IF we can get green healthy, we may actually bring something good to the table. The issue as always is....what's behind that?

Will they release a two deep soon?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I know there was a preseason two-deep that was released that was in the media guide, but it was from right after spring practice, so all non-early-enrollee freshmen were not included. A more up-to-date two-deep probably won't be released until closer to the beginning of the season.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DL

DT: Gotsis and Green will hold the starter spots backed up by Gamble and then Kallon. If Green stays healthy, we have two good starters. There is not a lot live game history to judge the backups. An injury here could change the outcome of the season and is only second to BB in terms of proven depth. Keep in mind that in the event of an injury, Gamble or Kallon could rise up and fill the gap beyond all expectations and make a name for themselves.

WDE: Freeman (EE freshman) and Whitehead(transfer) are possible starters and backup. Simmons could also possibly get into the mix. Freeman really showed a lot of promise and play ability in spring practice. Whitehead is a proven commodity that was originally at NCS, got homesick, and transferred to GMC. He has proved his worth on the field and the hope is it translates. Check out his GMC film here and it will make you smile.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2791705/highlights/68833375

SDE: Stargel is 1st followed by Chungong as of now. Merriweather is a freshmen that could get into the mix. Stargel was backup to Attaochu on WDE in 2013, but how much time would you take away from Attaochu for anyone else? I would say GT stays at equilibrium with 2013 at SDE.

The question is will we be as good here as last year? Depth was an DL issue in 2013 with the starters playing most of the games. GT lost a star of a player in Attaochu and will not be able to immediately replaced in kind. But, Freeman has a motor and Whitehead has shown good ability in his previous schools. These two give GT a chance to keep the DL productive even if they are not Attaochu at season start.

The DL coach is Pelton and I have a lot of faith in his ability to get the starters better and get the next in line ready for their time at bat. Pelton will teach and work our guys into an effective unit. Roof's defense is more down hill and will allow younger players to contribute faster.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That video is impressive! Wasn't initially impressed with his athleticism (running style) but by the end I was. He makes plays!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is a pretty talented young man right there. I hate to use a Groh-ism but the kid has violent hands. Good lateral quickness. Gets leverage seemingly with ease. He will be hard to stop. Running right at him will be his weakness (probably). He will be good coming off the edge. As always, you have to prove it at the next level. I say the chances are very strong he makes an impact.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
After some thoughts about our DL, and the fact IF whitehead and freeman are both as advertised

We won't know about Whitehead until the next few weeks, but Freeman has impressed so far. Tre Jackson is the son of a high school classmate of mine. He reported in January and went through spring practice with KeShun. Says he's an absolute beast on the field. Of course that's a biased opinion, but the whole team feels like Freeman has locked down playing time this fall. Another one to remember is Antonio simmons. He was starting to generate interest as a possible "flip" just prior to NSD. We have some very solid WDE's in the pipeline right now...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is a pretty talented young man right there. I hate to use a Groh-ism but the kid has violent hands. Good lateral quickness. Gets leverage seemingly with ease. He will be hard to stop. Running right at him will be his weakness (probably). He will be good coming off the edge. As always, you have to prove it at the next level. I say the chances are very strong he makes an impact.
Need to see some Oklahomas!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm impressed. He does get off the edge quickly and makes the OTs he's up against look pretty bad. He also has decent speed, always a help. Hope this shows up against the new competition he'll face.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If they perform up to our expectations I would hope so, on obvious passing downs. Why not?
And put Gotsis on the nose, take out the NT and put in another beast LB and rush 3 or 4 or 5 and mix it up. Put some life into our third down defense! How is what we were doing working out? Not so good!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Now with Whitehead out IMO Roof has to get Davis and Harrell on the field as much as possible, along with the D1 LBs. Both are playmakers and are too good to just spot play to rest the D1s. I like Stargel/Chungong at SDE and Freeman/Harrell at WDE with Davis in and NT out on obvious passing downs. Might have to use both Simmons and Merriweather as well.