Two bigger worries than Cottrell or Lands-Davis from this morning's AJC

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1) No one has laid claim to right tackle. The hope from me and 'bout everyone was that a better conditioned Shamire would step up and establish himself. Hasn't happened.

2) Jabari is practicing with the second team. He has not been able to displace Gamble at tackle. IIRC, Gamble had a hard time staying low enough to be effective. Much talk of moving him to end where playing low isn't a concern. Jabari brings a different skill set, but is apparently a work in progress.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
1) No one has laid claim to right tackle. The hope from me and 'bout everyone was that a better conditioned Shamire would step up and establish himself. Hasn't happened.

2) Jabari is practicing with the second team. He has not been able to displace Gamble at tackle. IIRC, Gamble had a hard time staying low enough to be effective. Much talk of moving him to end where playing low isn't a concern. Jabari brings a different skill set, but is apparently a work in progress.

I think both of these may be more about statements from CPJ instead of people issues.

Item 1 - From a previous AJC article, Shamire said he was close to his weight goal. My guess is that he isn't listed at the starter until he makes it.

Item 2 - I think this may be CPJ showing Jabari he has to earn all of it back, not just get academically eligible and you get to start.

It may be worth waiting for the first official game depth chart before worrying.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Gamble plays DE some because he's good, not because he's not good at DT.

The starting DL from CPJ was from post Spring depth chart. There's been no injury requiring a change.

Shamire probably wasn't as close as suggested and didn't lock down the job. They'll find someone.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

Jabari is going to get a bunch of snaps, he's going to play a lot. Gamble proved himself last year, and he will slide outside on occasion. Seriously - having a hungry, quality third DT is a luxury we havent had in years.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
I think both of these may be more about statements from CPJ instead of people issues.

Item 1 - From a previous AJC article, Shamire said he was close to his weight goal. My guess is that he isn't listed at the starter until he makes it.

Item 2 - I think this may be CPJ showing Jabari he has to earn all of it back, not just get academically eligible and you get to start.

It may be worth waiting for the first official game depth chart before worrying.

one would think the GTAA would have some type of dietary trainer that prepares meals for Shamire or tells the cooks what to prepare, if not they should

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I talked with some people close to the team at fan day. The concerns about Shamire are legit. Does not seem to have the want to to seize the job. He looks like a career back up at this point. Regarding Jabari, no real concerns other than still learning some techniques associated with D Tackle. He only played scout team last year at that position and this spring. Still learning some things but no problem with want to or effort.

Go Jackets!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Shamire might not be hungry because he's hungry! Get him some glasses that make DL look like cream puffs or pizzas and see how he plays then.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish I had the sunshine blowing to convince me RG isn't a huge issue for us this season. The only thing that would get shamire in shape is being forced to play every down of every practice and game, but we would lose some games for it. Crying shame.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
one would think the GTAA would have some type of dietary trainer that prepares meals for Shamire or tells the cooks what to prepare, if not they should

They do provide support, but you cannot control what someone eats when they go home. In the interview, Shamire mentioned that he had to change some of his personal habits. I think he will make it because it seems like he wants to make it. Article attached.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-techs-shamire-devine-close-ish-on-weight-g/nnBDd/

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was scared to death when I saw the title of this thread. I was sure we had more season ending injuries. Once I saw what it was about I smiled. I am not worried one bit about this.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I am not mistaken, Jabari Hunt did not start the spring game either. However, who was the guy making plays out there, getting into the backfield, and disrupting things? JH was. That's who. Count me as one who is not worried about JH. The abilities are obvious after a very short viewing. It is only a matter of time. Gamble has improved and he has gained experience. However, he doesn't have the feet, quickness, hand fighting skills, and pad level that JH has. IMHO, it is already known who will be the difference maker at DT. Just saying.

I am less confident about the RG situation, in terms of "who", but not so much, "how good". Pretty much anybody who goes there will have a tough time replicating the run blocking success of SM. SD is the obvious choice in terms of potential alone. However, the streets of the homeless are lined with people who had potential. I have never been as blown away by the immense ability and talent level of any individual on the OL as I have been with SD. The ball is entirely in his court. There is not a single player in the conference who would start ahead of him if............

With all that said, even if SD doesn't rise to the level we would all like, there is talent and there are options. It will be a solid line.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
If I am not mistaken, Jabari Hunt did not start the spring game either. However, who was the guy making plays out there, getting into the backfield, and disrupting things? JH was. That's who. Count me as one who is not worried about JH. The abilities are obvious after a very short viewing. It is only a matter of time. Gamble has improved and he has gained experience. However, he doesn't have the feet, quickness, hand fighting skills, and pad level that JH has. IMHO, it is already known who will be the difference maker at DT. Just saying.

I am less confident about the RG situation, in terms of "who", but not so much, "how good". Pretty much anybody who goes there will have a tough time replicating the run blocking success of SM. SD is the obvious choice in terms of potential alone. However, the streets of the homeless are lined with people who had potential. I have never been as blown away by the immense ability and talent level of any individual on the OL as I have been with SD. The ball is entirely in his court. There is not a single player in the conference who would start ahead of him if............

With all that said, even if SD doesn't rise to the level we would all like, there is talent and there are options. It will be a solid line.
I concur, but I think that SD has already played at a high level, but has had trouble sustaining that level because of conditioning. Even if he only gets to 345, but can sustain the level of play which he is capable of for 13 play drives, he will start and should start.