Two big problems going forward

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
So not citing any particular poor fundamentals just a lack of overall success and based on this season alone. Ok (y)
Yep. Better things to do than explain why a bad coach is bad. Mike Sewak has been a problem for a while. Everyone I know who's opinion I trust on football sees it. If you don't, so be it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep. Better things to do than explain why a bad coach is bad. Mike Sewak has been a problem for a while. Everyone I know who's opinion I trust on football sees it. If you don't, so be it.

Oh so you are basing your opinion on the expertise of others. Interesting. Care to cite them so we can engage them directly and learn from them also?

Jmonty71

Banned
Here's the thing.... I can have an opinion. If you don't like it, either ignore me or shut it. However; demeaning other posters, to make yourself feel better, isn't quite the way to go. Facts are facts. The defense sucks and has for some years. If you accept it, good for you. I know there are far better DC's out there.

As for the fan base. MOST of us are frustrated. Frustrated for the kids, the school and for the program. Some of us are not ok with losing. Some of us are not ok missing bowls. Again, if you are. That's you. Its just not me.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing.... I can have an opinion. If you don't like it, either ignore me or shut it. However; demeaning other posters, to make yourself feel better, isn't quite the way to go. Facts are facts. The defense sucks and has for some years. If you accept it, good for you. I know there are far better DC's out there.

As for the fan base. MOST of us are frustrated. Frustrated for the kids, the school and for the program. Some of us are not ok with losing. Some of us are not ok missing bowls. Again, if you are. That's you. Its just not me.
Respectfully, please point out where I demeaned you. Actually, I was just going off your post where you said you could do as well as Roof, And to make your point, you referenced you manage a department for a big company. I managed a department for the largest publicly held insurance company in the world, but I don’t think I know more about coaching than our coaches do. I feel it may be time to move Roof into another roll with the team if he will accept it. However, I don’t think you should be high on the list of replacements.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'll elaborate; if you watch this OL play and believe they're well-coached, no amount of expert opinion will help...

True in 14 and 16 also? True when watching Braun or Bryan or SD demolish a DT or LB? Sure bud. Or maybe no amount of examples of great execution will convince you coaching is good just because we didn't dominate this year (for reasons I cited but you ignore) we lost...whah..fire the coach! Because someone I "trust" says "bad coaching" and we lost bad...whah..."fire the coach".

You absolutely fail to back up your assertions, period.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Then it's a good thing I absolutely could not care less what you think.

You might want to consider caring about backing up your assertions to other Swarm members that read your posts. Otherwise why post? Unless it's just to scream at the sky...that must be it...I apologize...carry on.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I don't think any of us are under the illusion that WE could coach better than ANY of the coaches, or that we have ALL the answers. However, this is a blog to spark conversations and celebrate or vent on whatever happens.
The problem is most of the members venting after Duke and UGA losses are no where to be found when time to celebrate wins.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'll elaborate; if you watch this OL play and believe they're well-coached, no amount of expert opinion will help...

Please take note to the injuries - Marshall out, Stickler and Lee missed lots of time due to injury, etc. IF(note the big "if") the starting 5 had remained fairly healthy and we'd been able to rotate players in I think the O would have been much better)

To state that because we had to play some folks at all this year (pull their red shirt) and others a lot more than they were physically ready is not Sewak's fault.

I'm going to stop instead of going through more examples.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You have your opinions and I have mine. True about the program, the fanbase, and individual members of the Swarm.

When we win a lot of members here disappear. When we lose they suddenly reemerge and claim to be football experts. Make astounding assertions that are laughable. Like "Team X played us with 9 men in the box". "PJ just keeps running play C". Neither of which were at all true in the game! I truly wonder what the hell these folks think they are seeing. I'm pretty sure it's just frustration of negative plays feeding into certain false stereotypes about our program they have bought into despite evidence to the contrary.

Then there are the folks that with certainty assert coach so and so is horrid at X,Y,Z. But they literally have never witnessed anything to give them insight into the actual coaching those guys actually do. They appear to base it off whether we won or lost in a given game or season.

Now I'm no different in my own personal knowledge of the jobs our staff does or doesn't do. I suspect Roof is a pretty decent coach since he's been doing it a while. He might be getting more from our guys than 90% of other coaches would. Maybe that number is reversed.

Point is I don't know or claim to. While many others do baselessly. I will counter those baseless assertions as same.

Could we do better with a different DC? Maybe. Can we hire a better one? Maybe so maybe not. Some of the lack of sound fundamentals I've witnessed from replays lends me to suspect we aren't doing as good as we could teaching different position groups.

And I've heard multiple times that either CPJ, or Womack, or Roof etc., haven't been able to hire the assistants they really most want to help teach and install their respective schemes. This critique appears to have the most evidence to back it. But no one outside the program has the inside knowledge to affirm or contradict this assertion with any individual coach. And I find assertions to the contrary to be banal.

Chances are some changes will be made. To what extent I do not know. Hopefully to the betterment of the program. The people making these decisions are far more able to make them than anyone on this board, now that Mbob is gone and assuming Bud isn't directly involved.

I am glad that changes will be made. The problem is that Bear Bryant in his prime would not be able to get much more out of this bunch. The problem is not in the coaches as much as it is in the players. If our recruiting does not improve markedly, we are headed for mediocrity or worse regardless of who the coaches are. It is just that simple.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not that there aren't more.

1) Lack of a pass rush. For the umpteenth year in a row, we have way below the norm of sack and hurries. I believe our inability to stop teams from scoring with little time left is a symptom, not the disease. I think if a team decided mid game to start throwing on every down, they would still move the ball down the field on us. Since that only happens at the end of the halves, it appears to be a separate problem. Most teams can get pressure when they know other teams will pass, but not us.

2) Inability to focus when we play unranked teams on the road. We'll show up against Miami and VT, but not the rest of our league. I believe if we had played Pitt and UNC on the road and Virginia and Duke at home, the results would have been reversed. Someone has to convince our players that if we are not in high gear, we're just middle of the pack teams ourselves.

Have to disagree with #2. If my recollection is correct, be it home or away, we only played one good half in virtually every game. Regardless of opponent. And that speaks to multiple problems with the recruiting, coaching, and motivation.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought the line looked respectable (and at times dominant) in 14 & 16. Compare that to 15 & 17 when the line was decimated my injuries and attrition.

I was firmly on the fire mike sewak train for a few years, but things seem to be much better in the last few years than the few before those. Maybe it's gold tint from the wins.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A little Bear Bryant history. He recruited only white players and took running backs and made linemen out of them. They were small (really small by today' standards). USC came down to alabama and beat them with black players that were bigger and faster. It was a total beat down. I think McKay was coaching them. Like 50 to 0 (too lazy to look it up). Bryant switched to the wishbone and began recruiting minority players. He realized that bigger faster players would dominate his smaller fast players. He changed his offense and recruiting to be competitive. It can be done

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A little Bear Bryant history. He recruited only white players and took running backs and made linemen out of them. They were small (really small by today' standards). USC came down to alabama and beat them with black players that were bigger and faster. It was a total beat down. I think McKay was coaching them. Like 50 to 0 (too lazy to look it up). Bryant switched to the wishbone and began recruiting minority players. He realized that bigger faster players would dominate his smaller fast players. He changed his offense and recruiting to be competitive. It can be done

Sam "Bam" Cunningham