TV coverage GT/VA

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I know we all miss Wes, and it was great to have him calling this game on TV. I was at the game and recorded it. I went home and watched it after the live game, and I was so happy in addition to the wins for a few reasons:
1. No one talked trash about GT or only talked about the other team being so great - the coverage was relatively even and talked positive about both teams - the announcers really liked this game.
2. The announcers acknowledged that this was just two TEAMS playing good football, and they didn't have to spend their time only talking about the 1-2 stars that might play on Sundays in the future (YAY)
3. There was equal coverage before/after commercial breaks that showed different things for both teams
4. I COULD HEAR THE GT CROWD ON TV (this rarely happens!)
5. They showed a good deal of "traditions" and/or fan coverage at the game
6. The announcers didn't spend half their time talking about other teams not currently on the field
7. After game coverage included a couple of interviews
Why is it SOOOOOO hard for ESPN and others to just give the team on the field a fair shake at coverage? I hate watching a game and only hearing about the 1-2 stars on some team for 4 hours and the terrible bias that is usually always against GT for some reason. And, I especially dislike that when the game is a runaway and 3rd and 4th string players that practice every day and just don't have the skill or talent finally get to play on TV and the announcers have moved on and can't just call out their name once in a while so they can share in a moment with their friends and family for one stinking play in a game!

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. TV announcers get very annoying with their one sidedness.

I'm glad Wes called this one fairly.

Now if we can get the refs to do the same. We've played more against the refs the last 2 years (lots of obvious no-calls more so than bad ticky-tack penalties on us) than I can ever remember seeing in a consistent stretch.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I'd like us to get better exposure on ESPN/ABC, I really like the Wes/Bates team. Wes is so engrained in the ACC. Bates is a bit of a goofball, but knows his football.

I'm hoping they get transitioned to the ACC network and don't get lost in the shuffle next year.

Although I would be interested in a Wes/Roddy team. Roddy does a really good job of breaking down what's happening on a play to the layman level. He's more a part of every broadcast team as a sideline reporter than pretty much anyone out there.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I too enjoyed hearing Wes again. And, while he was very evenhanded, it was obvious that he was better acquainted with Tech then with UVA. I didn't mind that one bit and it was only noticeable to a Tech fan (he refers to Andre St. Amour and "St. Amour" regularly, for instance). Seemed like old times.

And, yes, if Wes isn't picked up by the ACC Network I will be very, very leaked at them.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in Gainesville when Bates was playing for UF and he became a bit of a local celebrity after his playing days were over. I was really excited when I first learned he would be teaming with Wes; perfect combo. Bates has one of the those magnetic "life of the party" type personalities. He has true enthusiasm for college football and I have enjoyed his commentary which doesn't center of cliches or practiced one line sound bites.

Only thing better would be adding Roddy as the sideline reporter to go with Wes and Bates.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The announcing was great. Camera work? Not so much. There were a ton of times the guy with the ball was off screen. On option plays I can attribute it to lack of experience, but on kickoffs it's a lack of effort