Tusculum

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Fun game. Good for subs.- Q really is a streaker shooter ,1-6 on 3s.
Can Ogbonda give us minutes behind Ben? It will be a long season if he can't.Rebounding /def will really start to hurt.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We still seem to have weird turnovers that shouldn't happen against a team like Tusculum, but it was nice to see the backups get a lot of minutes. Let's rest up and get ready for BC. We have to win that one.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
We need Heath healthy again and quick because Saturday's home game against BC is a must-win. It was a wise decision to schedule a game against Tuskegee in the middle of the ACC slate because it allowed the bench players more PT. Hopefully coach will play McCormick a bit more the rest of the year because he adds that 3 point shooting element to our to team.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
McCormick is too slow on his release from what I saw in person at Duke. He couldn't get any shots off even when it looked like he was open. Unless he has made some changes in his game he won't help against ACC level defenses. But you are right that if we could get him some shots it might help.

slugboy

Staff member
I didn't watch, but I'm glad to hear that Rand Rowland, Shaheed Medlock, and Norman Harris all scored. Life as a walk on ain't easy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good to see this easy win given how they started the season with arguably similar competition. They dominated last night as they should.

Now someone has to come up with a magic cure for turned ankles as we head to BC.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there - first 6-7 players looked good, other than Q could not hit anything (saving them for BC I hope).
Good energy and put it away early - real early. End of the bench really struggled - but we knew that.
Tusculum had decent size (6' 10" center, as tall as us on wings), but other than one guard they could not match our athleticism - GT speed/quickness advantage was clear in first 5 minutes.
CJP did play Tadric several minutes at the point with first group - not sure how much of that we'll see but it does put more offense on the court.

Ogbonda, Matthews, and McCormick got good number of minutes.

My impressions of them given more minutes and a longer leash than usual
- Matthews - was already a threat on offense, never met a shot he won't take, defensive liability is limiting minutes, needs to get his shot 'higher' or will have trouble when tightly guarded
------ Got beat bad once, reached and committed a foul - Pastner pulled him over and let him have it ... he tends to stay 'too high' and as result lateral quickness (you play defense with your feet not your hands) was a problem more than once

- McCormick - comments about slow release are dead on - but if time can really shoot it. Below average handling the ball and below average quickness ... defensive liability and not that good a rebounder ....will see minutes as backup for Q going forward (since Gueye is out) - will struggle to score against good man defense, could play big role against teams playing zone or be used as threat to keep other team from collapsing too much

- Ogbonda - No dumb fouls, played hard, nowhere near as effective as Lammers running the offense from high post (one nice pass to cutting CMatt for a layup), did hit a foul line jumper - very clear he's still raw with limited offensive moves at this point but plays, bangs and rebounds hard ... I think he'll do fine if all he is asked is to spell Lammers for a couple minutes here or there - but if he has to play over 10 minutes it hurts our chances in ACC play -that is complement to how good Lammers has been, I do think Ogbonda will play hard with energy when he gets in.

Heath played well - looked recovered from the flu or whatever he had. He did tweak an ankle late - looked to be walking ok on it, but with ankles it is often the next day before you know if it's serious or not.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I was there - first 6-7 players looked good, other than Q could not hit anything (saving them for BC I hope).
Good energy and put it away early - real early. End of the bench really struggled - but we knew that.
Tusculum had decent size (6' 10" center, as tall as us on wings), but other than one guard they could not match our athleticism - GT speed/quickness advantage was clear in first 5 minutes.
CJP did play Tadric several minutes at the point with first group - not sure how much of that we'll see but it does put more offense on the court.

Ogbonda, Matthews, and McCormick got good number of minutes.

My impressions of them given more minutes and a longer leash than usual
- Matthews - was already a threat on offense, never met a shot he won't take, defensive liability is limiting minutes, needs to get his shot 'higher' or will have trouble when tightly guarded
------ Got beat bad once, reached and committed a foul - Pastner pulled him over and let him have it ... he tends to stay 'too high' and as result lateral quickness (you play defense with your feet not your hands) was a problem more than once

- McCormick - comments about slow release are dead on - but if time can really shoot it. Below average handling the ball and below average quickness ... defensive liability and not that good a rebounder ....will see minutes as backup for Q going forward (since Gueye is out) - will struggle to score against good man defense, could play big role against teams playing zone or be used as threat to keep other team from collapsing too much

- Ogbonda - No dumb fouls, played hard, nowhere near as effective as Lammers running the offense from high post (one nice pass to cutting CMatt for a layup), did hit a foul line jumper - very clear he's still raw with limited offensive moves at this point but plays, bangs and rebounds hard ... I think he'll do fine if all he is asked is to spell Lammers for a couple minutes here or there - but if he has to play over 10 minutes it hurts our chances in ACC play -that is complement to how good Lammers has been, I do think Ogbonda will play hard with energy when he gets in.

Heath played well - looked recovered from the flu or whatever he had. He did tweak an ankle late - looked to be walking ok on it, but with ankles it is often the next day before you know if it's serious or not.
Do you think we will see Tadric run some point if Heath can't go? If he can run the team effectively and not turn the ball over too much I don't know why we wouldn't want him running the point all the time. He's a much better scorer than Heath.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
- McCormick - comments about slow release are dead on - but if time can really shoot it. Below average handling the ball and below average quickness ... defensive liability and not that good a rebounder ....will see minutes as backup for Q going forward (since Gueye is out) - will struggle to score against good man defense, could play big role against teams playing zone or be used as threat to keep other team from collapsing too much.

We did play Syracuse twice in the next couple of weeks, who with good ball movement tends to give up a lot open threes, so he could be handy there.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
What is the problem with Moore? he seems to have fallen off the longer the season goes, he looked bad in Notre Dame game as I recall
Moore has an abdominal injury that may keep him out the rest of the season. Yesterday or today he was scheduled to get a shot, injection for the pain. CJP said if that doesn't take he will be out for the season because the next step is to have a procedure done. I guess this means he has some degree of a muscle tear.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Moore has an abdominal injury that may keep him out the rest of the season. Yesterday or today he was scheduled to get a shot, injection for the pain. CJP said if that doesn't take he will be out for the season because the next step is to have a procedure done. I guess this means he has some degree of a muscle tear.

CPJ seemed to suggest that Moore would be available in this AJC article about the game and Heath's injury,

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/u...tech-guard-josh-heath/rpX8b3QdWvaEK9dxYGHhZK/