Tulane and a Little Perspective

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Was it just me, or did Tulane's coach make a couple of crazy calls at key moments. Even the announcers were baffled that they were not content to sit on 21-21 until halftime. Anyway, perhaps he knew he would need lots of points. He probably knows his personnel better than anyone.
You never know about a sport but the fourth and three with 45 seconds left in half sure gave us the mo since we scored and took the lead.Well if he had made the first down who knows ? could have been a hero.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we are more like the 08-09 team this year. Im not saying we are as good, but when we had 2 blows against tulane yesterday it didn't phase our guys. We went out and pretty much dominated from the 2nd quarter on. I honestly think we may have lost that game last year and the year before. These guys have played well so far. I'm happy with both wins and I hope we improve every week.
You can't take the '08/'09 teams in a vacuum w/o considering where the rest of the league was/is on defending what we do. They were totally clueless in the beginning. Not so now, not so by a long shot.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You can't take the '08/'09 teams in a vacuum w/o considering where the rest of the league was/is on defending what we do. They were totally clueless in the beginning. Not so now, not so by a long shot.
Agree this is the sixth time folks have seen the flex and by now DL are probably tired of cut blocks so they may define another technique..aint surprising folks so much anymore.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree this is the sixth time folks have seen the flex and by now DL are probably tired of cut blocks so they may define another technique..aint surprising folks so much anymore.
I think the experience factor is two fold. First, the DC's that have been around a while have not only seen us for 6 years, but have had that trial and error experience of scheming against us. Secondly, and more importantly, there are veteran players on most of the teams we play who have faced us and our techniques multiple times. They not only know what to do to defeat what we do, but are fine tuning at this point.

Tulane is a perfect example of a bunch of option noobs on defense trying to stop what we do. It reminded me a lot of '08 and '09.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think people lump 08 and 09 together too casually when it comes to our O. Imo, our 08 offense was good by Gailey standards but not at the level of 11,12, maybe even 13, let alone 09. We won some games in 08 because of our D. That has not really happened since, imo. I'm starting to think that our O this year might be like our 08 offense but we won't have the 08 D to support them.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think the experience factor is two fold. First, the DC's that have been around a while have not only seen us for 6 years, but have had that trial and error experience of scheming against us. Secondly, and more importantly, there are veteran players on most of the teams we play who have faced us and our techniques multiple times. They not only know what to do to defeat what we do, but are fine tuning at this point.

Tulane is a perfect example of a bunch of option noobs on defense trying to stop what we do. It reminded me a lot of '08 and '09.
Tulane just didnt get the email on defending the flex.....they stayed in one defense all day long it seemed and hardly ever fixed the pitch.Yes after sore knees my bet is the DE from All schools have learned proper technique to combat our chop blocks but yeah most guys have been playing against us for at least two years and are getting better at stopping the flex.......when you give coaches time to read films time and time again some changes will be made.We run the flex well but do not have the big break away guy like a JD or Petterson etc. so many folks now clog the middle and play the pitch.Tulane was never in danger of stopping us but the teams down the road will be ready to play us........we taint the new kid on the block anymore.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Tulane just didnt get the email on defending the flex.....they stayed in one defense all day long it seemed and hardly ever fixed the pitch.Yes after sore knees my bet is the DE from All schools have learned proper technique to combat our chop blocks but yeah most guys have been playing against us for at least two years and are getting better at stopping the flex.......when you give coaches time to read films time and time again some changes will be made.We run the flex well but do not have the big break away guy like a JD or Petterson etc. so many folks now clog the middle and play the pitch.Tulane was never in danger of stopping us but the teams down the road will be ready to play us........we taint the new kid on the block anymore.

jesus_facepalm.jpg

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tulane had a good defense setup and actually executed it a few times.
  • A major key is getting that middle linebacker down hill.
  • The MLB needs to be 7 to 8 yards back to keep from getting taken out by a OL.
  • The MLB needs to identify the direction and get to the LOS and behind the LOS quickly to the play side
  • They did this a few times, but most the time they ran across not forward.
  • Clemson/FSU runs down hill to get to the outside LOS and this gives them an extra defender on the edge. The deep depth makes it very hard for the OL to get to him.
  • The counter should stop this, but Clemson/FSU was reading something beside the QB/AB and the MLB was able to choose correctly despite the counter.
  • You can see many times this distance and run angle made it very hard for the OL to pick him up.

The other LB and DE take the BB and QB and the MLB gets to the AB/QB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tulane had a good defense setup and actually executed it a few times.
  • A major key is getting that middle linebacker down hill.
  • The MLB needs to be 7 to 8 yards back to keep from getting taken out by a OL.
  • The MLB needs to identify the direction and get to the LOS and behind the LOS quickly to the play side
  • They did this a few times, but most the time they ran across not forward.
  • Clemson/FSU runs down hill to get to the outside LOS and this gives them an extra defender on the edge. The deep depth makes it very hard for the OL to get to him.
  • The counter should stop this, but Clemson/FSU was reading something beside the QB/AB and the MLB was able to choose correctly despite the counter.
  • You can see many times this distance and run angle made it very hard for the OL to pick him up.

The other LB and DE take the BB and QB and the MLB gets to the AB/QB.
And the fact that our OT is so darn slow off the snap.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Oh thanks my friend............do we get five rather than 15 if we change the terminology ?

We get 0. Do you really not know the difference between a cut block and a chop block? It is a fanatical obsession of Tech fans, especially on message boards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

jesus_facepalm.jpg

Almost every team in the ACC has used the same defensive scheme against us for the last few years, and we've run up big points on most of them, most seasons. Suggesting that our offense can be stopped if you just get the right email or "blueprint" seems unworthy of any fan but especially someone who's coached the game. Bud Foster could not have stopped our O with Tulane's D. Imo, they were scheming to compensate for their personnel. Very few teams have the talent combined with coaching that VPI has on D, imo.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
jesus_facepalm.jpg

Almost every team in the ACC has used the same defensive scheme against us for the last few years, and we've run up big points on most of them, most seasons. Suggesting that our offense can be stopped if you just get the right email or "blueprint" seems unworthy of any fan but especially someone who's coached the game. Bud Foster could not have stopped our O with Tulane's D. Imo, they were scheming to compensate for their personnel. Very few teams have the talent combined with coaching that VPI has on D, imo.
Let me tell you something young lad do not think that coaches do not exchange schemes that work on our offense.Second agree Tulane with Bud couldnt stop our offense but VT with Bud....can.Third yes most of the teams that do not have hosses have been running similar defenses vs us and we do well until we play the big uns.Third I was probably making cut blocks before many of this board was born....I assure you I do know the difference.Looks like a attempt to liven up the chop blocking problems we have fell on deaf ears............bet you a mint that every coach in the ACC has a game film of our games with VT and LSU and Miami and BYU...you take what works and improvise..Tulane didnt do that.VT and others will due to abundance of good players and of course speed,

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We get 0. Do you really not know the difference between a cut block and a chop block? It is a fanatical obsession of Tech fans, especially on message boards.
An attempt to liven up the board fell flat........hell I was using the cut block in the early sixties probably before many here were born.Also during my time on the sidelines hardly ever did a ref throw a flag calling a block a chop block.In fact when we doubled teamed one guy went low and the other guy stood the dl up and it was legal..........no more attempts to liven up .