Tulane adds Auburn and Missouri State to 2019 football schedule Canx Georgia Tech Game

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looks like moving up the Ole Miss series will not be an option as they just signed up 11 teams to play on their future schedules!

Georgia Tech looks to be ok with signing a FCS to complete the schedule in 2018 with 2 G5 teams and our UGA game already on tap.
  • 09/08 - at South Florida
  • 09/29 - Bowling Green
  • 11/24 - atUGA
The concern comes in 2019 (Tulane pulled out) we already have a FCS game on tap, we do not need two...
  • 09/07 - South Florida
  • 09/14 - The Citadel
  • 11/30 - UGA
Also our 2020 Schedule is set wit ND, UGA and UCF, we just need a FCS game... So what do we do for 2019??? I say sign a G5 team... New Mexico State, Liberty, UAB...

I wonder if the GTAA has thought about the Liberty Situation, they are going FBS, G5 in 2019, we have 3 OOC home games and could hit the road in 2019. Liberty may be willing to come to Bobby Dodd in 2018 and 2020 for the cheap if we agree to take the Ramblin Wreck to Williams Stadium in 2019...

Link
http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/04/ole-miss-adds-11-opponents-future-football-schedules/

Last edited:

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I would want a 3- or 4-for-1 to go to Liberty. No reason to do them that kind of favor for 2 games.

Best bet at this point would be to work out a deal to get in to one of the neutral-site games for a 1-off intersectional matchup. For example, Stanford also has an opening for 2019, but the next mutual open year is like 2026.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I would want a 3- or 4-for-1 to go to Liberty. No reason to do them that kind of favor for 2 games.

Best bet at this point would be to work out a deal to get in to one of the neutral-site games for a 1-off intersectional matchup. For example, Stanford also has an opening for 2019, but the next mutual open year is like 2026.
A 2 games at Bobby Dodd Stadium and 1 road game deal with Southern Mississippi wouldn't be too bad.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Good grief.

If you want to fill Bobby Dodd, you have to appeal to the fans most likely to come ... and that ... whether we like it or not ... means an SEC school. Atlanta is the highest concentration alumni town for Alabama, Auburn, and maybe LSU.

In fact, I'd love to play LSU. What a hoot that would be.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Good grief.

If you want to fill Bobby Dodd, you have to appeal to the fans most likely to come ... and that ... whether we like it or not ... means an SEC school. Atlanta is the highest concentration alumni town for Alabama, Auburn, and maybe LSU.

LSU would be great! Not sure if they would want to play us outside of a bowl!! (Same reason why auburn does not want to face us, and Bama cancelled our series. (They are afraid of our the offense)

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LSU would be great! Not sure if they would want to play us outside of a bowl!! (Same reason why auburn does not want to face us, and Bama cancelled our series. (They are afraid of our the offense)

Not sure about that. We last played Bama in 1984; Auburn in 2005. Both were years before Paul Johnson.

With Bama, it's always about the money. Auburn has played Tech more than any other school except Georgie.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt that, some teams just don't want to spend practice time getting ready for the TO. I believe this will always be a problem when trying to schedule attractive opponents.

Animal02

Banned
Good grief.

I do not think we should be scheduling games to appeal to visiting opponents. It is bad enough the stadium turns red every other year after Thanksgiving.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I do not think we should be scheduling games to appeal to visiting opponents. It is bad enough the stadium turns red every other year after Thanksgiving.

Totally disagree. Players want to play against quality opponents. I would rather play LSU than Nicholls State.

If you want to be perceived as a major program ... schedule against better schools with a draw.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I think we should try for some B1g teams like Penn St, Minnesota, or Illinois
I know Penn State and Notre Dame are some of the biggest brand names up there but I find it pretty interesting that we've rarely scheduled a majority of the midwest. Most of our games are from when PSU and ND were independents and we pretty much only play B1G teams in bowl games. If you take out the Maryland and PSU games (ACC and Ind when they were played) we've only played 8 games against the Big 10

edit: actually 6 because one was an ancient history game against Rutgers too and one against Nebraska pre big 10
http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia-tech

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Non sequitur. Playing quality opponents has nothing to do with appealing to opponents fans.

I don't necessarily disagree. We could schedule Michigan, which probably meets the standard of a quality opponent, but the travel distance is too far. Basically, if the goal is to fill the stadium, you have to provide a product that is accessible to your market. Hence, you're better off to schedule mostly Southeastern teams.

I read a piece yesterday that Auburn is considered more of a Georgia school than Alabama as its' number 1 lifetime opponent is UGA; number 2 is Tech. Ironically, driving down to Coweta this past weekend, I was shocked at the number of Auburn tags, hats, and bling.