Trying to stay positive for FSU

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After the Pitt game I shuddered at the thought of playing FSU. Pictured last year when Winston could read War and Peace waiting for someone to get open, but with a better running game. I still don't feel good about it, but in trying to see any possibilities...

1) We should be a dangerous team for the Seminoles this week. A team with a rotten record has two chances for major satisfaction. One is to beat their rival and the other is to beat a top ten team. I wanting it could get you a win, we'd be home free. FSU has a tendency to play below their talent level sometimes, particularly in road games. Our record this year is even more reason to think they might sleep walk Saturday, at least in the early part. And Bobby Dodd should be seriously loud and into it, especially if we get off to a good start. Athletes are like actors or musicians or any kind of performers; they are juiced by the cheers of the crowd.

For the sake of honesty, I have to add that I thought Clemson would be flat the week after Notre Dame.

2) The offense looked much improved last week. If we can take another step up, maybe we can match scores with them. In particular, we are not getting as much out of our passing game as we are capable of. Jeune is becoming JTs go to guy. Summers has some speed and ability. We have a pretty good receiving corps in our As, and because of our scheme, defenses sometimes lose track of them as receivers. If we can shore up the protection this week...

3) Maybe with much film study, Ted and Paul can come up with something which will get some pressure on their quarterback. Maybe FSU doesn't go to full protection mode as did Pitt and blitzes will be effective this week. As Boomer and a number of us said this week, there is nothing to be lost by trying something radical.

4) If we can keep it close, maybe it's our turn to pull one out late in the game. Last week we had a makeable field goal blocked and lost it on a kick which should have been out of the kicker's range. Maybe something like that in reverse will happen Saturday.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU’s Terrance Smith ruled out vs. Georgia Tech

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...sus-terrance-smith-will-play-vs-georgia-tech/

With the ground-and-pound of Georgia Tech on deck, Florida State will again be without one of its top run stoppers.

Terrance Smith sustained a high-ankle sprain in the Oct. 3 win over Wake Forest and hasn’t played in the two games since, wins over Miami and Louisville. The redshirt senior also hasn’t practiced sustaining the injury.

Nor surprisingly, Jimbo Fisher said on his radio show Wednesday night that he doesn’t “know if he’ll get ready to make it this week” against Georgia Tech. A day later, the injury report confirmed it as Smith has been ruled out of the rematch of last year’s ACC championship game.

The Tallahassee Democrat writes that “FSU will rely on leading tackler Reggie Northrup and emerging redshirt sophomore Ro’Derrick Hoskins at the linebacker positions.”

Despite missing two complete games and part of a third, Smith is still 10th in tackles (16) and third in tackles for loss (3.5).

Smith had started the first four games of the season. He’s started 24 games since the start of the 2013 season.