Trying not to be tacky

I may be mistaken, but I thought it was illegal to grab a player by the neck of the jersey. I have finished watching the first half of my recording, and they definitely grabbed Justin by the neck of his jersey, pulling him to the ground. Justin got up looking towards the ref (I thought) for a call, but none came.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was illegal to grab a player by the neck of the jersey. I have finished watching the first half of my recording, and they definitely grabbed Justin by the neck of his jersey, pulling him to the ground. Justin got up looking towards the ref (I thought) for a call, but none came.
I think it must be an immediate tackle - basically a grab and slam. So, someone could grab the jersey by the collar but take a few seconds to drag ball carrier down and not be called. Also, an exception if inside the tackle box.

I think it must be an immediate tackle - basically a grab and slam. So, someone could grab the jersey by the collar but take a few seconds to drag ball carrier down and not be called. Also, an exception if inside the tackle box.
Why would it matter if inside the tackle box? Strange rule. Pretty sure it was an immediate tackle. That was the only way he could bring Justin down. Don't see why that would be different from horse-collar, which is illegal.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck

No it's not. You need to grab the pads themselves for a horse-collar. Grabbing the jersey is allowed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was one other thing I saw that I have not mentioned before because I see this all the time. Where do refs draw the line on shots to the neck, under the chin and face mask of a defensive lineman by an offensive lineman? Notre Dame did something that I have seen other teams do to Tech and I just assumed it was either a gray area or an allowable technique. Basically what happens is that the offensive player stiff arms a rushing lineman in the chest area but then allow his hand, as the lineman keeps coming, to jam up either into the neck or under the face mask. It looks very painful but I never see that called as a penalty. The defensive lineman's head usually gets bent backwards as he is charging. Happened lots with Notre Dame.

You guys who have played ball in the 21st century tell me about that technique and what the rules are.

Declinometer

Banned
There was one other thing I saw that I have not mentioned before because I see this all the time. Where do refs draw the line on shots to the neck, under the chin and face mask of a defensive lineman by an offensive lineman? Notre Dame did something that I have seen other teams do to Tech and I just assumed it was either a gray area or an allowable technique. Basically what happens is that the offensive player stiff arms a rushing lineman in the chest area but then allow his hand, as the lineman keeps coming, to jam up either into the neck or under the face mask. It looks very painful but I never see that called as a penalty. The defensive lineman's head usually gets bent backwards as he is charging. Happened lots with Notre Dame.

You guys who have played ball in the 21st century tell me about that technique and what the rules are.
I offer this short tutorial