trick plays

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, a play that ends in a game winning touchdown is an odd definition of failure. Multiple reports, if I recall correctly, indicated that keeping the ball and running it was part of the play-call if JT was covered as a receiver.
UNC's Williams told the story of his 1st NC at Chapel Hill. Somebody said the team had really not played all that well, and he responded they had just won the title. To which the guy said, "Yeah, but what do you think old Dean would have done with that team?"

And frankly somehow I doubt the story of the HS coach tipping off Georgia. The throwback is as old as the single wing and a DC seeing the play ahead of it would have alerted his players to be alert, just in case. (Sometimes even Georgia players and coaches are pretty good.)

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed - don't forget the laughably-bad fake-punt attempt in that same Music City Bowl. The FacePlant Fake Punt that was a good 12 yds short of the 1st down.

lolpunter-2.gif
Yep- might I add the throwback pass to Trey Klock last year against Ugag, and the same pass to Ray Beno in 2012. I think we threw it to Austin Barrick in the 2008 game as well. Please, CPJ, I don't want any passes to Jake Stickler this Saturday.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have wondered that too. The D reacted perfectly to a play they had never seen before. They had to have been tipped off.
We are paranoid about Georgia. There is nothing new in the throwback, and as AE87 notes, the option to the pitchback was keep it and run, and if it ends in a score it is a successful play.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, a play that ends in a game winning touchdown is an odd definition of failure. Multiple reports, if I recall correctly, indicated that keeping the ball and running it was part of the play-call if JT was covered as a receiver.
One of the greatest plays I can remember...but it was so unnecessary and almost disastrous. We had 1st and goal at the 4 yard line. Could have run Dedrick three times...four, if necessary...and scored. Instead we pitch the ball back to the 15 and run the slowest developing play we could have possibly come up with.

But whatever, it worked, so he was a genius at the time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep- might I add the throwback pass to Trey Klock last year against Ugag, and the same pass to Ray Beno in 2012. I think we threw it to Austin Barrick in the 2008 game as well. Please, CPJ, I don't want any passes to Jake Stickler this Saturday.
Now, since it is in the rear view mirror, I remember the throwback to Barrick with fondness. Not until I saw Venables on the Clemson sideline have I thought a coach as near a stroke as Johnson when Barrick for some reason went twinkle toes instead of playing his old position of tight end mean and just barreling ahead for the first down. He dance and we didn't get it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One of the greatest plays I can remember...but it was so unnecessary and almost disastrous. We had 1st and goal at the 4 yard line. Could have run Dedrick three times...four, if necessary...and scored. Instead we pitch the ball back to the 15 and run the slowest developing play we could have possibly come up with.

But whatever, it worked, so he was a genius at the time.
such is the nature of every call. If it works ..

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We don't need trick plays to beat these guys. On defense we need to load the box and force them to throw into tight coverage. On offense we need to control the ball, limit our big play shots to when we can actually afford to take them.

If they come out on top with that strategy then it is what it is...personally I think we can beat those guys with that strategy. They've rarely been able to stop us from moving the ball. 30 points is probably the magic number. I think if we can get there we can win.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
such is the nature of every call. If it works ..
Yep. I just have a feeling the other strategy I outlined works 9 out of 10 times, while the one he chose works 1 or 2 out of 10 times...good thing 1 was all that was needed.

It was still a trick play that would have been better not to have been called. As I said, Qua bailed us out by doing what Johnson said he should have done. It worked; Qua scored; Tech won; I am happy; enuf said.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Was re-watching and caught this. I assume this was the drawn up play that Qua won the game with last year:

Edit: Can't seem to get it right, the play starts at 2:18:40.
Interesting that the first and second plays of OT were trick plays; first didn't work, second did.

Was re-watching and caught this. I assume this was the drawn up play that Qua won the game with last year:

Edit: Can't seem to get it right, the play starts at 2:18:40.
Interesting that the first and second plays of OT were trick plays; first didn't work, second did.

Better executed in that one than last year, but still it looked like the mutts were ready for it.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly, I would love to see us run the reverse early on in the game Saturday. If we do, I think it helps keep the secondary honest throughout the game.