Transfer Impact 2021

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
There's also a cautionary tale there about transfers. Even where we are today I'm just not going to get too excited about guys jumping here from Maryland, Norfolk State, or ODU... In spite of the hype, they haven't moved the needle outside of Cochran and maybe McGowin. Some will be good additions - not all will be...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's also a cautionary tale there about transfers. Even where we are today I'm just not going to get too excited about guys jumping here from Maryland, Norfolk State, or ODU... In spite of the hype, they haven't moved the needle outside of Cochran and maybe McGowin. Some will be good additions - not all will be...
You are correct in that Norfolk State and ODU transfers have not moved the needle. But it seems you're forgetting that it's because they've been hurt. Same goes for the transfer from Mississippi State, which makes 2 OL and 1 DL out due to injury. Add in Kenyatta Watson (Texas) who's also been hurt/recovering.

Otherwise
  • Cochran (Vanderbilt) - what we expected
  • McGowan (Northwestern) - what we expected, maybe better?
  • Cimaglia (Tennessee) - what we expected (wish he didn't have such a brutal first outing)
  • Makius Scott (SCar) - still green (frosh) who missed chunks of his lone season at the prior stop
  • Kevin Harris (Bama) hasn't done much
  • Eley (Maryland) being discussed in this thread
  • Beatty (Temple) - zero expectations

Injuries really derailed what we otherwise felt like we were getting from the portal, even with moderate expectations.

@cthenrys - not trying to pick on you with a new thread, rather I think it's an interesting discussion given the volume of transfers we took and revisiting preseason expectations. I had already mentally decided last week to create this same thread to see what people think closer to the end of the season.

omnipotech

Banned
You are correct in that Norfolk State and ODU transfers have not moved the needle. But it seems you're forgetting that it's because they've been hurt. Same goes for the transfer from Mississippi State, which makes 2 OL and 1 DL out due to injury. Add in Kenyatta Watson (Texas) who's also been hurt/recovering.

Otherwise
  • Cimaglia (Tennessee) - what we expected (wish he didn't have such a brutal first outing)
  • Makius Scott (SCar) - still green (frosh) who missed chunks of his lone season at the prior stop

Injuries really derailed what we otherwise felt like we were getting from the portal, even with moderate expectations.

@cthenrys - not trying to pick on you with a new thread, rather I think it's an interesting discussion given the volume of transfers we took and revisiting preseason expectations. I had already mentally decided last week to create this same thread to see what people think closer to the end of the season.
I think he's referring to all the transfers during Collins' tenure, which would include Clayton (underperformed/bust), Ezzard (bust), Myles Sims (meh/ok so far), Derrick Allen (meh/ok so far), Ryan Johnson (decent), Jared Southers (meh), and Tyler Davis (meh). I do think some of these guys that are still here will improve/contribute in meaningful ways for us, but perhaps an unsurprising result, the guys who weren't cutting it at their previous school aren't showing out here either.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Has Clayton played at all this year? We really swung and missed on 2 DE transfers. Keion White played his first game of the year against Miami, and was in for like half a game. Swatted the QB's helmet after a pass and got them some fresh downs. I think Eley's been a good addition at least from a leadership standpoint, but the transfers on defense have not really shown much.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Otherwise

Very fair. Can't fault the guys for being injured, but going back to the start of the season the contribution has not measured up to the (ahem) hype. Good call on Cimaglia - oversight on my part.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think he's referring to all the transfers during Collins' tenure, which would include Clayton (underperformed/bust), Ezzard (bust), Myles Sims (meh/ok so far), Derrick Allen (meh/ok so far), Ryan Johnson (decent), Jared Southers (meh), and Tyler Davis (meh). I do think some of these guys that are still here will improve/contribute in meaningful ways for us, but perhaps an unsurprising result, the guys who weren't cutting it at their previous school aren't showing out here either.
My perspective is the theme is the same. All depends on what one is expecting.

Clayton - injured; would not call someone a bust due to injury
Sims/Allen - not sure yet/unclear, I agree with meh so far.
Southers/Davis - performed according to expectations, imo. That is, they were better than what we had but far from gamebreakers before and after transfer. We basically just needed bodies on OL and TE.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Has Clayton played at all this year? We really swung and missed on 2 DE transfers. Keion White played his first game of the year against Miami, and was in for like half a game. Swatted the QB's helmet after a pass and got them some fresh downs. I think Eley's been a good addition at least from a leadership standpoint, but the transfers on defense have not really shown much.
Depends on your definition of swung and missed. Clayton and White have been injured. We certainly missed on the contribution front as a result.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hate calling players out by name so let me put it this way. Several people before the season were saying that our recruiting rankings should be ranked as much as ten points higher because of the quality of our transfers. Frankly, I am keenly disappointed in all of them given how much they were hyped before the season. All of them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hate calling players out by name so let me put it this way. Several people before the season were saying that our recruiting rankings should be ranked as much as ten points higher because of the quality of our transfers. Frankly, I am keenly disappointed in all of them given how much they were hyped before the season. All of them.
I'm happy to be called out if you think I'm a culprit, but I didn't predict any points higher. My only comment was that we took some transfers instead of true freshmen and that affected our recruiting ranking because we never reached 20+ recruits. If we would have, I think we would have been ranked higher. For better or worse.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think we should sign 25 every year and unless a transfer can start and be an all ACC caliber player, just say no. Have we ever finished a season, not counting walk ons, where we used all of our scholarships?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
What exactly is the point of this thread?

We needed (and still need) help at various positions? The staff made the obvious decision and turned to the portal.

Some worked well, some not so much and others are still TBA. Calling out players specifically is bad form.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy to be called out if you think I'm a culprit, but I didn't predict any points higher. My only comment was that we took some transfers instead of true freshmen and that affected our recruiting ranking because we never reached 20+ recruits. If we would have, I think we would have been ranked higher. For better or worse.
You were not the culprit I recall 😊

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's any different than having a recruiting bust. There's examples every year where a highly talented kid busts. Now there are some schools that are notorious for recruiting busts & then there's schools like GT, Kansas St, etc where the players always outperform their recruiting ratings. Take the idiots up the road for example & compare their 5 star recruits to Alabama's. At Alabama, these guys seem to hit the field and perform when the chips are down. Up the road, they fold like a cheap tent. It's coming, you can't coach out stupid (at least I hope you still can't). Dumb will always be dumb & they will be dumb when we need it the most. For example right up to and including the last play of a national championship game!

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we should sign 25 every year and unless a transfer can start and be an all ACC caliber player, just say no. Have we ever finished a season, not counting walk ons, where we used all of our scholarships?
Think that’s a little unrealistic bar to set there. They have to come in as All-Conference or it’s a bust? I agree we should try to all slots on new freshman but we can’t always keep all of them or they get injured or they transfer out. Incoming transfers are used to fill those gaps if the coaches don’t believe the younger guys are ready. I would argue nearly all of our transfers have had an impact. Nearly all are starting or at least rotational players. You can argue if it’s a positive or negative impact, but it still shows they beat out the younger guy. It also doesn’t mean the younger guys are bad, just they aren’t ready this year.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tyler Davis was drafted and GT’s first NFL draft pick in three years at the time. That’s pretty impactful (recruiting) despite the lack of production during the season.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Otherwise

You left out the DBs who haven't added much either. Johnson the OL hasn't been much but might be getting better-as a SR?