Top three GT games you have been to?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Silas--I am in awe.You were at '61 Bama game.Your picks were great-I might put the 09 VT game at GField-the loudest I've ever heard it in 60 yrs.

Thanks very much, but my original post was in error.

I meant to type the 1962 bama game, where we beat #1 bama. Fantastic game.

The 61 game, of course, was when the scum bucket darwin holt injured Chick Graning on purpose.

I just thank The Lord for every Saturday I get to spend on the Flats. I just pray we find some leaders that will embrace what GT should & can be.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

The 61 game, of course, was when the scum bucket darwin holt injured Chick Graning on purpose.

I just thank The Lord for every Saturday I get to spend on the Flats. I just pray we find some leaders that will embrace what GT should & can be.

I meant 62 also--duh!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yes we were.......I had little interest in following Tech football for a couple of years after escaping ('83)
I had not attended a tech vs ga game in about ten years and the Sheriff got tickets and all the fans we had in Jefferson County (all ten of us) went to Grant Field.......now I was still expecting to see TECH VS GA..a knock down drag out football game but seats were empty all over the stadium....we got seats behind the tech bench and we say our players just hamming it up on the sidelines with no interest in the game at all......Mike Kelly played well but we got whipped and nobody seemed to care..............I lost a lot of support for our program after that game.......I did know thought Tech fans wouldnt take this and they didnt as we got better but man.........getting beat by Furman etc was just tough to take.

Now the feeling in my youth as teenager on or around Wednesday we knew we were going to the game.........going to ride the Nancy Hanks to Atlanta,take cab to Varsity and eat greesy burgers and go to a packed house ..........exciting football with wonderful unis.....now its just hard to get excited but by Saturday morning I am ready to hit somebody on the other side of the ball.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
......I did know thought Tech fans wouldnt take this and they didnt as we got better but man.........getting beat by Furman etc was just tough to take.
I don't like to think about those days except in the context you stated, Mack. I'm proud to have been one of the Tech fans who refused to take it, and fought the only way I could at the time...with my wallet. I joined what was called the "Diamond T" group of contributors (I still have my Diamond T) and continued to pitch in the thousands until DRad came in and unceremoniously eliminated us. At least we got another football national championship and a final four appearance to show for it all. Money well spent, IMHO.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't like to think about those days except in the context you stated, Mack. I'm proud to have been one of the Tech fans who refused to take it, and fought the only way I could at the time...with my wallet. I joined what was called the "Diamond T" group of contributors (I still have my Diamond T) and continued to pitch in the thousands until DRad came in and unceremoniously eliminated us. At least we got another football national championship and a final four appearance to show for it all. Money well spent, IMHO.
Agree with you my friend....when folks remember the bad years and as we both know they were bad,it was only matter of time before the alums and fans flat out demanded a better product and we got one..I remember the weight room improvement and the new athletic building and the infusion of good players certainly lit a fire in my belly.I was shocked in 57 that we even lost to GA and the first few years of Curry were so tough to take...Yes Diamond T was a way to get things done but now it seems our alums and fans have little say so about winning and losing.I agree we dont run the football team since PJ does that but if folks want us to attend and get excited we need to get better players and do something about recruits.Good to see you from the old boards....wondered where you where.

Animal02

Banned
Agree with you my friend....when folks remember the bad years and as we both know they were bad,it was only matter of time before the alums and fans flat out demanded a better product and we got one..I remember the weight room improvement and the new athletic building and the infusion of good players certainly lit a fire in my belly.I was shocked in 57 that we even lost to GA and the first few years of Curry were so tough to take...Yes Diamond T was a way to get things done but now it seems our alums and fans have little say so about winning and losing.I agree we dont run the football team since PJ does that but if folks want us to attend and get excited we need to get better players and do something about recruits.Good to see you from the old boards....wondered where you where.

The facilities were pretty bad.......I remember the duct tape holding down part of the astro turf on the field, the crap wood bleachers by the track for the freshmen, and the north stands (just large bleachers as well) and the crumbling south horseshoe that put you a mile away from the endzone. It really was sort of pieced together. It really had reached bottom.
Also remember watching them demo the naval armory over the summer to clear the way for the athletic building. (Spent the summers painting dorms and we were working in Glenn at the time) That old armory did not come down easy. I don't think they planned well long term......that building really limited what they could do WRT stadium enlargement.....same thing with the south end.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The facilities were pretty bad.......I remember the duct tape holding down part of the astro turf on the field, the crap wood bleachers by the track for the freshmen, and the north stands (just large bleachers as well) and the crumbling south horseshoe that put you a mile away from the endzone. It really was sort of pieced together. It really had reached bottom.
Also remember watching them demo the naval armory over the summer to clear the way for the athletic building. (Spent the summers painting dorms and we were working in Glenn at the time) That old armory did not come down easy. I don't think they planned well long term......that building really limited what they could do WRT stadium enlargement.....same thing with the south end.
Yep you sort of had the idea that if the wind blew hard..........the whole stadium would fall........no doubt by your time the stadium was outdated .We were lucky to survive bad weather.......yet all in all I still remember when a ticket to a game was a treasure even if you were in the endzone....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That was a funny issue, however I believe that it was the April Fools issue in 1985:

View attachment 158

View attachment 157

View attachment 156

The April Fools issue of the "soused & libelous college newspaper" was always a favorite of mine. Every time I had a Tech student working with me - or now as my kid is there - I required that they get me the Freshman Issue, Hate Week issue and the April Fools issue.

Best line: "WEATHER: It will be quite humid near Sorority Row the early part of this week, more frigid conditions will prevail in the vicinity of the women's dormitory area."

Good times.

Note: yeah, I can be a packrat.

I gladly stand corrected. Thanks.

Impressed you have that issue. What a kick it was to read.

I wonder how many here have an inkling what your handle represent. Gave me a flashback moment when I first saw it here on GTSwarm.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow

Even during the '50s...Tech's glory years...the facilities weren't anything to write home about. The locker room was crammed underneath the old east stands, the field drained very poorly in the rain, the upper east stands had yet to be built and the upper west stands didn't exist either; nor did the old "permanent" north stands. The AA building, Rose Bowl field...all primitive compared to now. Brand new Alexander Memorial Coliseum was poorly lighted and held only 7,000.

The Tech AA ought to erect a statue to Homer Rice. He accomplished more for Tech athletics than anyone since Heisman, IMHO.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
I cannot now remember the specific games but they were in the early '60s with Kim King at QB, then Billy Lothridge throwing to Billy Martin and later Lenny Snow running up and down the field. One special one does come to mind...when the Bear brought Joe Willie to Grant Field and, although hurt, he came off the bench and threw two TD passes, then sat back down as they was all the Tide needed.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I cannot now remember the specific games but they were in the early '60s with Kim King at QB, then Billy Lothridge throwing to Billy Martin and later Lenny Snow running up and down the field. One special one does come to mind...when the Bear brought Joe Willie to Grant Field and, although hurt, he came off the bench and threw two TD passes, then sat back down as they was all the Tide needed.
1964. Namath was in shotgun, because he couldn't drop back and Tech's rush never came close to touching him.

Animal02

Banned
Even during the '50s...Tech's glory years...the facilities weren't anything to write home about. The locker room was crammed underneath the old east stands, the field drained very poorly in the rain, the upper east stands had yet to be built and the upper west stands didn't exist either; nor did the old "permanent" north stands. The AA building, Rose Bowl field...all primitive compared to now. Brand new Alexander Memorial Coliseum was poorly lighted and held only 7,000.

The Tech AA ought to erect a statue to Homer Rice. He accomplished more for Tech athletics than anyone since Heisman, IMHO.

Baseball stadium, softball stadium, Great pool thanks to the Olympics. But the same is true for much of the campus. Most of the Area 1 dorms had no AC, original windows etc, Techwood was dust a dump (I worked for housing) Us architects were spread all over campus......sort of the red headed step child of the Institute. Student theater was in a old church that was literally falling down, etc. etc. It is always amazing to get back to campus as see how good the students have it now. ;) Hell.... they don't even have to take drown proofing. :eek:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't read everything in this thread, but I have read most. I don't think I have seen a game between Tech and Tennessee in '66 or '67 mentioned. Both teams highly ranked, Grant Field, final score 6-3 Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
6-3 tech over Tennessee in 66 was a great game. After 65 with a so so season there was great optimism on the flats in 66. We had a very good offense and defense - bill Eastman was all American safety. I could be wrong but I think Dodd called a quick kick .

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
6-3 tech over Tennessee in 66 was a great game. After 65 with a so so season there was great optimism on the flats in 66. We had a very good offense and defense - bill Eastman was all American safety. I could be wrong but I think Dodd called a quick kick .
I don't recall a quick kick, but one of a very few memories from that game was W J Blaine making an interception late.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I believe you are correct ice....I wasn't around for that one but my old man calls that 66 Tenn game the best he ever saw...and he does say Dodd used a quick kick in it to flip the field and help win the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the 66 Tennessee game while Tennessee was the clear per game favorite, after the kick off it was clear both teams where very talented well coached and played like it was a championship game. Best tech team I seen and clearly their best game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
In the 66 Tennessee game while Tennessee was the clear per game favorite, after the kick off it was clear both teams where very talented well coached and played like it was a championship game. Best tech team I seen and clearly their best game.
Kind of funny.....when we went to watch Tech under Dodd about once a game a quick kick or a punt of third down would be called....fans would howl at punting on third down yet since it was usually bad field conditions Dodd would do it amist the boos and then the opponent would fumbel the ball and tech would score and Dodd was the idol of Atlanta.In 59 behind 14 vs Georgie he quick kicked over 60 yds and held georgie and scored and cut it to 21-14. Then Fran Trakingo ran all over the field dodging defenders until time ran out.Yes the game was a throwback to the fifties no doubt ....hard to figure out 6-3 and win and even harder to figure out how we lost to Georgie with that team but we did...........