Top Georgia Tech Teams Modern Era: 1992-present

GTFLETCH

Banned
Modern Era: 1992-present

1. 2009 - 11-3 (ACC Title & Orange Bowl Loss)
2. 1998 - 10-2 (Co-ACC Title & Gator Bowl Win)
3. 2014 - 11-3 (Orange Bowl Win)
4. 2000 - 9-3 (Peach Bowl Loss)
5. 2008 - 9-4 (Peach Bowl Loss)
6. 2016 - 9-4 (Gator Bowl Win)
7. 2006 - 9-5 (Gator Bowl Loss)
8. 1999 - 8-4 (Gator Bowl Loss)
9. 2011 - 8-5 (Sun Bowl Loss)
10. 2001 - 8-5 (Seattle Bowl Win)

Not much to be said about those years, but we did have some decent years, and the state of college football even at the beginning of that time period was not so different from what it is now as to immediately write off any chance of getting back up there again, in spite of what the doom and gloom fans say.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Not much to be said about those years, but we did have some decent years, and the state of college football even at the beginning of that time period was not so different from what it is now as to immediately write off any chance of getting back up there again, in spite of what the doom and gloom fans say.
I am not a gloom and doom, but the main difference for us now is the coming of Clemson and Ga as we have to play them every year. All but 1 of those years is before they got sooo good!

GTFLETCH

Banned
2006 team had the most talent of any of those teams. Should’ve been special
Besides being throttled by Clemson every game was like under 6 points..I think 3 points... I am curious what do you think was the issue with the team? They weren't to young? so poor Coaching? or just choked?

Losing to Wake Forest was the begining of the end for CGC IMHO...(Besides never beating UGA)

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Besides being throttled by Clemson every game was like under 6 points..I think 3 points... I am curious what do you think was the issue with the team? They weren't to young? so poor Coaching? or just choked?

Losing to Wake Forest was the begining of the end for CGC IMHO...(Besides never beating UGA)

Make Friedgen the OC on that team, and they might play for the MNC (if he isn't in jail for killing Ball).

I say poor coaching. I heard Chan speak twice at Augusta gatherings, and he was very impressive, but he just couldn't carry that obvious football intelligence over onto the football field. And too, he was hampered by OC Patrick Nix. I won't say that Nix was a terrible OC overall, but he sure was a terrible game-day OC.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Best Coach of Era:
Paul Johnson (2008-2018)
11 seasons, 83-61 overall, 52-37 in ACC, 3-6 in bowl games
ACC Championship—2009
Three ACC Coastal Division Championships—2008, 2009, 2014
Three-time ACC Coach of the Year—2008, 2009,2014
CBS Sports National Coach of the Year—2008

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s pretty sad IMO that a Power 5 team with the history that Georgia Tech has can consider 3 different 8 win seasons to be in its top 10 individual seasons over a 28 year period. 8-4 in the regular season is a pretty decent year, but it shouldn’t be anything to write home about. I really hope Tech gets back in a position where 8 wins is the standard, and not cause for celebration. For a little comparison
  • Georgia Tech
  • 8+ wins: 10 times
  • 9+ wins: 7 times (98, 99, 00, 08, 09, 14, 16)
  • 10+ wins: 3 times (98, 09, 14)
  • Georgia
    • 8+ wins: 23 times, haven’t won less than 8 since 2010, and 4 in a row from 93-96
    • 9+ wins: 17 times
    • 10+ wins: 15 times
  • Clemson
    • 8+ wins: 17 times
    • 9+ wins: 14 times
    • 10+ wins: 9 times
  • North Carolina
    • 8+ wins: 12 times
    • 9+ wins: 5 times
    • 10+ wins: 4 times (93, 96, 97, 15)
  • Duke
    • 8+ wins: 5 times
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (13, 14)
    • 10+ wins: (13)
  • Virginia
    • 9+ wins: 6 times
    • 10+ wins: 0 times
  • Wake Forest
    • 8+ wins: 6 times
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (06, 07)
    • 10+ wins: 1 time (06)
  • Vanderbilt
    • 8+ wins: 2 times
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (12, 13)
  • Purdue
    • 9+ wins: 3 times (97, 98, 03)
  • Nebraska
    • 8+ wins: 21 times
    • 9+ wins: 20 times
    • 10+ wins: 12 times (93-97, 99-01, 03, 09, 10, 12)

GTFLETCH

Banned
It’s pretty sad IMO that a Power 5 team with the history that Georgia Tech has can consider 3 different 8 win seasons to be in its top 10 individual seasons over a 28 year period. 8-4 in the regular season is a pretty decent year, but it shouldn’t be anything to write home about. I really hope Tech gets back in a position where 8 wins is the standard, and not cause for celebration. For a little comparison
  • Georgia Tech
  • 9+ wins: 7 times (98, 99, 00, 08, 09, 14, 16)
  • 10+ wins: 3 times (98, 09, 14)
  • Georgia
    • 8+ wins: 23 times, haven’t won less than 8 since 2010, and 4 in a row from 93-96
    • 9+ wins: 17 times
    • 10+ wins: 15 times
  • Clemson
    • 8+ wins: 17 times
    • 9+ wins: 14 times
    • 10+ wins: 9 times
  • North Carolina
    • 8+ wins: 12 times
    • 9+ wins: 5 times
    • 10+ wins: 4 times (93, 96, 97, 15)
  • Duke
    • 8+ wins: 5 times
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (13, 14)
    • 10+ wins: (13)
  • Virginia
    • 9+ wins: 6 times
  • Wake Forest
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (06, 07)
    • 10+ wins: 1 time (06)
  • Vanderbilt
    • 8+ wins: 2 times
    • 9+ wins: 2 times (12, 13)
  • Purdue
    • 9+ wins: 3 times (97, 98, 03)
  • Nebraska
    • 8+ wins: 21 times
    • 9+ wins: 20 times
    • 10+ wins: 12 times (93-97, 99-01, 03, 09, 10, 12)
I guess you didn't look at the Post-bowl Poll era: 1968-1992? Can't wait to see what and how you comment if you are upset on this thread!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I guess you didn't look at the Post-bowl Poll era: 1968-1992? Can't wait to see what and how you comment if you are upset on this thread!
I’m not really upset about it, I just really am disappointed when looking back because I feel like in almost all of those years, there was potential for them to become really special. I know the overall winning percentage is much higher through the modern era than it was in the previous one, but scheduling is also way different now than it was then. Both in terms of who Tech is playing and how many games they’re playing. Any decent team nowadays is basically guaranteed to play 13 games. But just singling out the “best” years, winning 8 out of 13 is really no different than winning 7 out of 11. In fact 7 out of 11 is a higher winning percentage.

I think my biggest issues when looking at Tech’s overall success in the modern era are how wishy washy the fan base is when it comes to expectations
  1. People who say we should’ve easily won 6 in 2019
  2. People who say we’ll be underachieving if we don’t at least win 6 in 2020 (given a full season)
  3. People who are more than fine winning 7-8 games every year
  4. People who think not winning 10+ every year means the season was a failure.
I think if you just look at history (especially modern history), and look and what’s attempting to be built, 8-9 wins in the regular season should start becoming the standard for a decent season, not 7-8. Winning at least 9 in the regular season gives you a really good chance to play 14 total games (ACCCG + bowl game) and a much better chance to get to 10. Going back and looking at even some of Tech’s best years is painful because of how close we were to having a lot of special teams. 2006 and 2009 in particular, because those years included really tough losses to ranked teams, and losses to unranked Georgia teams while both Tech teams were ranked in the top 20. 2001 included 3 losses by a combined total of 7 points, and a 14 point loss to the Dwags at home to end a winning streak against them.

There’s so many things that could’ve gone differently in this era. So many times Tech could’ve made that miraculous leap and be considered elite, even for just a short time frame, and it’s just always fell short. Now I fear it’s too late and will never happen. The rich will just continue to get richer, and while I’m very confident Tech will become a consistently above-average P5 team again, I don’t think there will ever be anymore opportunities to become elite. That’s what’s so disappointing about this time period to me.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Would definitely rerank top 3:

1) 2014
2) 1998
3) 2009

GOL above PJ.
I see your point. When I tried to look at ahead to ahead, SOS, Final Rankings games agaisnt FSU, COFH..... Ranked teams... Bowl wins... It was not easy or clear and a case could be made for all three years..... so I just ranked by ACC Championships which put 2009 (out right champs before NCAAA Sanctions, it took the NCAA to take it away) above 1998 (Co Champs) and than 2014 ACC title loss.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I’m not really upset about it, I just really am disappointed when looking back because I feel like in almost all of those years, there was potential for them to become really special. I know the overall winning percentage is much higher through the modern era than it was in the previous one, but scheduling is also way different now than it was then. Both in terms of who Tech is playing and how many games they’re playing. Any decent team nowadays is basically guaranteed to play 13 games. But just singling out the “best” years, winning 8 out of 13 is really no different than winning 7 out of 11. In fact 7 out of 11 is a higher winning percentage.

I think my biggest issues when looking at Tech’s overall success in the modern era are how wishy washy the fan base is when it comes to expectations
  1. People who say we should’ve easily won 6 in 2019
  2. People who say we’ll be underachieving if we don’t at least win 6 in 2020 (given a full season)
  3. People who are more than fine winning 7-8 games every year
  4. People who think not winning 10+ every year means the season was a failure.
I think if you just look at history (especially modern history), and look and what’s attempting to be built, 8-9 wins in the regular season should start becoming the standard for a decent season, not 7-8. Winning at least 9 in the regular season gives you a really good chance to play 14 total games (ACCCG + bowl game) and a much better chance to get to 10. Going back and looking at even some of Tech’s best years is painful because of how close we were to having a lot of special teams. 2006 and 2009 in particular, because those years included really tough losses to ranked teams, and losses to unranked Georgia teams while both Tech teams were ranked in the top 20. 2001 included 3 losses by a combined total of 7 points, and a 14 point loss to the Dwags at home to end a winning streak against them.

There’s so many things that could’ve gone differently in this era. So many times Tech could’ve made that miraculous leap and be considered elite, even for just a short time frame, and it’s just always fell short. Now I fear it’s too late and will never happen. The rich will just continue to get richer, and while I’m very confident Tech will become a consistently above-average P5 team again, I don’t think there will ever be anymore opportunities to become elite. That’s what’s so disappointing about this time period to me.
Everything you just said could also be said about the Post-bowl Poll era: 1968-1992 era... As college football has evolved so has scheduling... I mean there were more college games from 1968-1992 in college football than in the previous era of 1937 to 1967. Your overall sentiment of the fan base basically falling asleep zctually happened in the seventies. You can actually see in Georgia Tech Schedules even after leaving the SEC early on that Grant Field was a draw. We start to see the Independance scheduling effect in 1974 when see UVA instead of VMI and home attendance is 26K (FYI Tulane drew 48K, ND 44K) however where the wheels really fall off is in 1978 when Georgia tech had a five game home stand that only avg 28K per game (Cal, Citadel, Miami, South Carolina, Tulane) were not a draw the fasn wanted to see. That same year Florida drew 44K and ND drew 54K that year and in 1979 Alabama drew 57K, Auburn drew 54K, UGA drew 48K at grant field.. The remaining non SEC teams drew on avg 26K (William & Mary, Duke, Air Force, Navy). Georgia Tech has never recovered from leaving the SEC. The best part of having Coach Bobby Ross, George Oleary, and Paul Johnson is they have given the fans a glimpse of success on the flats post SEC withdraw. The million dollar question can Georgia Tech ever sustain the success you are talikng about winning 8/9 games year in and year out. We haven't seen that since Georgia Tech was in the SEC.

Now to your Four Points on Coach Geoff Collins Era and calling folks wishy washy:

1. We won 3 games, and were in the following three games (Citadel, Pitt was 17-10 at the end of third, Virginia was 24-21 at half) To be fair it appears that Georgia Tech AD replaced a HOF coach in Johnson with a great recruiter in Coach Collins. The fan base needs to be patient and see if he can grow into a solid Head Coach. IMHO if we have a solid Coach who is a great recruiter we should get back to winning in the ACC shortly. The question is can he be a solid gameday coach. I know a ton of people who are hoping so.

2. So part of the double edge sword of having a fanbase except 6/7 win season is that new head coaches better meet that mark or attendance will drop sharply ( just look at 1978 GT schedule) unless you schedule some SEC/National Programs. We do not have that SEC schedule and losing to the Citadel better be the only FCS loss on CGC recorad at Georgia Tech or the fans will jump ship quick.. So it is not aburb thinking with all the Transfers and recruiting CGC has don this far that his team should beat Garderner Webb, UCF, UNC, UVA, VT, Pitt, Duke, Cuse, Miami. enough possible games even after leaving out our National Branded opponents. Again time will tell if Coach Geoff Collins can take the nest step at the P-5 level and coach the boys up to 6 wins (I am surprised that you are even upset that 6 wins is to high a bar when your main point is that the fans have to low expectations for a historic program like Georgia Tech)

3. So again I am confused...People who are more than fine winning 7-8 games every year ... You just said that folks should be ok with CGC not winning 6 games in 2020, now you are upset that they would settle for 7 or 8 win season.... Last I checked 7 or 8 wins is better than 6.... (I also think you can see thet Georgia Tech is not ok with winning 7 games a season.. look at CGC... his era was all about winning 7 games he was finally fired & replaced)

4. Lastly.... In regards to your comment on {People who think not winning 10+ every year means the season was a failure} that decesion was made when Georgia Tech left the SEC. Winning 10 games or more at Georgia Tech is regarded as a very special season. Our first 10 Win season was in 1928 via winning teh Rose Bowl or last was in 2014 winning the OB Georgia Tech has only had 9 10 plus winning seasons in the Historic program.

I think most Georgia Tech fans would agree and like to see 8-9 wins in the regular season becomethe standard for a decent season, not 7-8. However All the Coaches hired to date gave it their best shot and it just hasn't happened yet. Can it happen under Coach Geoff Collins, maybe... The better question is will it. I know one thing for sure the faster he starts becoming bowl eligible the better for the program.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Inconsistent QB play but Reggie wasn't helped by an AWFUL offensive coordinator

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
2014 team was awesome. Don't get me wrong.

That said, comparing 2009 to 2014 is not apples to apples. We got into the Orange Bowl in 2014 by virtue of Florida State qualifying for the playoff. Said another way, in 2009, a 3-loss ACC team that fails to win the ACC was probably not going to a BCS Bowl.

So, if you normalize the years, how would folks feel about 2014 if we finished 11-3 with say a Gator Bowl win over the #20 ranked team in the country? I think the 2009 vs 2014 comparison then comes down to personal preference as to what you value more: beating Georgia or winning the ACC/qualifying for the Orange Bowl.

GTFLETCH

Banned
2014 and 09 should be switched, even though 09 had way more NFL talent. 2014 beat ugag(a way better ugag than 09 ugag) and won the Orange Bowl. They also narrowly lost to a top 5 FSU in the ACCCG, while 2009 beat unranked Clemson in the ACCCG.
1998 Team
Wins

#23 NC State, #7 UVA, #12 Georgia, UnRanked New Mexico State, UNC, DUKE, Maryland, Wake Forest, Clemson
Losses
#6 FSU (7-34) {Also direct loss to ACC Champs} & Unranked Boston College
Bowl Game
Beat #17 Notre Dame in Gator Bowl

2009 Team
Wins
#22 UNC, #4 VT, UnRanked Jacksonville State, Miss Sate, Vanderbilt, Clemson, FSU,UVA, Wake Forest, Duke
Losses
#20 Miami & Unranked Georgia
ACC Title Game
Beat #25 Clemson
Bowl Game
Loss #10 Iowa in Orange Bowl

2014 Team
Wins
#19 Clemson , #9 Georgia, UnRanked NC State, UVA, Pitt, Miami, VT, Georgia Southern, Tulane, Wofford
Losses
Unranked Duke & UNC
ACC Title Game
Loss #4 FSU
Bowl Game
Beat #7 Miss State in Orange Bowl

Call me lazy, but I ranked by ACC Championships
2009 ACC Champs
1998 ACC Co Champs
2014 Loss to ACC Champs (FSU 37-35)