Tony Elliott

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I am going to repeat what I have said before ....which Tony Elliot? The one with TL and ETN? Or the one who didn't score against Uga and put up 14 against GT with a roster full of blue chippers?
Yeah and on the other hand, Patenaude hasn't done anything to make me doubt him at this point. I actually thought the game plan for Clemson was great in addition to our execution of the plan. We had 21 first downs (u[sic]ga had 15). I was impressed at how well we sustained drives against Clemson, which helped us shorten the game and play the field position game when we didn't score.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah and on the other hand, Patenaude hasn't done anything to make me doubt him at this point. I actually thought the game plan for Clemson was great in addition to our execution of the plan. We had 21 first downs (u[sic]ga had 15). I was impressed at how well we sustained drives against Clemson, which helped us shorten the game and play the field position game when we didn't score.
We are 78th in total offense and 95th in scoring offense after three games. That isn't very good. Trying to claim an OC called a great game while scoring 6 points is a stretch. Our offense has been bad this year. He has a great chance to turn that around in the next three games but there is no real need to sugarcoat it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our offense has been bad this year.
I would say bad in one game. The second game doesn't really matter. The third game was dictated somewhat by our other team and their DC. Their first game was against Uga, who are annually a top 5-10 team in the country in both recruiting and on the field results and Clemson held them to 3 points. [Clemson themselves are annually in the top 2-3 teams and compete for/win NC's frequently]. These comments cannot be made in a vacuum.

If we were to play the Ravens and scored 3 points, would that mean CDP called a bad game to you???

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would say bad in one game. The second game doesn't really matter. The third game was dictated somewhat by our other team and their DC. Their first game was against Uga, who are annually a top 5-10 team in the country in both recruiting and on the field results and Clemson held them to 3 points. [Clemson themselves are annually in the top 2-3 teams and compete for/win NC's frequently]. These comments cannot be made in a vacuum.

If we were to play the Ravens and scored 3 points, would that mean CDP called a bad game to you???
I didn't really say that he called a bad game, just that he didn't call a great game. You can't claim that you had a great game plan while averaging less than 4.5 ypc and scoring 6 points. Maybe that was expected due to how great Clemson's defense is but it's certainly not great. Several teams this year will outdo that against Clemson. Combine that with a complete embarrassment against NIU offensively and a so so game against KSU and im not sure he has really earned praise. Like I said though, the next three games give him a great chance to turn that story around. We should be able to score plenty on all three.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am going to repeat what I have said before ....which Tony Elliot? The one with TL and ETN? Or the one who didn't score against Uga and put up 14 against GT with a roster full of blue chippers?
Two of whom were a first year QB and a freshman running back. Between them there were something like three fumbles and three overthrows to wide open receivers. It ain't what's on the roster but what's on the field. Clemson is going to come back and be very good, and we will feel even better about out game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Two of whom were a first year QB and a freshman running back. Between them there were something like three fumbles and three overthrows to wide open receivers. It ain't what's on the roster but what's on the field. Clemson is going to come back and be very good, and we will feel even better about out game.

We might be in agreement (perhaps). We tend to think these guys are geniuses and can X and O there way around glaring roster weaknesses but their is a bell curve at work here. The Ralph Friedgens are about as common in the world of FB as guys who have won more than three majors are on the pro golf tour. Churning coaches in the effort to "luck into" one of these guys is a fool's errand.

I am not saying Elliot is a bad coach. But I think there are at least several hundred coaches who could and would "show out" with a TL and ETN. I believe CDP or the OC at Kentucky or Maine or Delaware or Valdosta State or Stony Brook could and would look like a savant with Clemson's starting lineup last year. The theory of the game is not that complex.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean.. we all say clemson’s success over the last few years has been tied to the coordinators because Dabo isn’t a scheme guy.

Then now some of us seem to be saying the the artchitect of the Clemson offense is bad because.. why, why are we saying this again?

The data doesn’t suggest it, and we are on a GT fan site so I’d hope it isn’t a tacit acknowledgement that the posters think our D is trash because that would be silly. This is an ATL not ath(sins) page.

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laff

Sometimes I wonder if it is me or the world.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Geoff Collins fan, but I'm still not sold on Patenaude. If Elliot gets fired by Clemson, and is willing to be OC here for less than $1M/year, we need to do everything in our power to make that happen.
Elliot's next gig will be as a head coach.

The main reason I wanted Elliot here as HC is because of his leadership qualities and his resourcefulness, and not just because of his ability as an offensive coordinator. Here's a guy who walked on and worked hard to earn a scholarship, contribute to his team, and was named a captain. A guy who chose not an easy course of study, but Industrial Engineering, and yet made the best grades of anyone on the team. And did all this after a very difficult upbringing, his father in prison and his family homeless. It's all about character. He's pulled himself up by his bootstraps time and time again, and a person like that has success written all over him. He'll succeed because he won't be denied.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
He probably cost himself a lot of money not leaving with Lawrence / Etienne. I don’t doubt that he can turn it around down the road, but who’s gonna risk shelling out $ for a guy who’s never been a HC and isn’t even a guarantee to produce a halfway decent offense with all the talent he has at his disposal. Not any of the blue bloods anymore. Probably a bottom-half P5 job now.

Imagine if they’re bad on offense again next year. He could end up getting fired 2 years after being among the hottest HC candidates in the country. So dumb to not strike while the iron is hot.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
He probably cost himself a lot of money not leaving with Lawrence / Etienne. I don’t doubt that he can turn it around down the road, but who’s gonna risk shelling out $ for a guy who’s never been a HC and isn’t even a guarantee to produce a halfway decent offense with all the talent he has at his disposal. Not any of the blue bloods anymore. Probably a bottom-half P5 job now.

Imagine if they’re bad on offense again next year. He could end up getting fired 2 years after being among the hottest HC candidates in the country. So dumb to not strike while the iron is hot.
He did cash in for $2M per year, so it's not like he's hurting for money. He may just be a loyal guy and a Clemson guy. Lot's more goes into job decisions than just the Benjamins. That's why we have Key, Choice, Coleman on staff - they wanted to be home.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We are 78th in total offense and 95th in scoring offense after three games. That isn't very good. Trying to claim an OC called a great game while scoring 6 points is a stretch. Our offense has been bad this year. He has a great chance to turn that around in the next three games but there is no real need to sugarcoat it.
Is it possible you can both be partially correct? I thought our play calling was excellent but we did not have the talent advantage to always execute the call. UNC could tell us everything we need to know about this season. UNC may be our most difficult remaining opponent outside of uga. Either we will show continued progress or it will look like regrouping and starting over for next season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Geez. The guy is now a failure after three games despite NCs and ACC titles. I think I will give him a little longer leash. As for Lawrence and Etienne to Jacksonville, Meyer's motorcade hasn't headed out yet, but the motor is running. I hope he is classier than to tape a note to lockers on his way out, but I wouldn't bet on it.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

GT with 57 yards total offense per game more than Clemson after playing one of the top defenses in the nation.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Geez. The guy is now a failure after three games despite NCs and ACC titles. I think I will give him a little longer leash. As for Lawrence and Etienne to Jacksonville, Meyer's motorcade hasn't headed out yet, but the motor is running. I hope he is classier than to tape a note to lockers on his way out, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Who said the guy is a failure? No need to build a straw man for your argument.

He has a 5* QB, 5* RB, 5 .96+ WRs at his skill positions and is averaging 8.5 ppg against P5 competition. That’s objectively horrendous. I said if that continues into next year he could be in trouble.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a comparison of the total offense for each team after they have each played three games.
I get that part, what I'm not sure about is which opponent you were deeming "one of the top defenses in the nation." Clemson or UGA? The fact of the matter is GT and Clemson have played comparable schedules, each have a I-AA victory and each have played a really tough defense. In fact, I'd argue that Clemson's offense has faced a tougher schedule because the defenses of UGA, SCSU, and GT are tougher overall than NIU (who has given up 113 pts the last two weeks), KSU, and Clemson, so 57 less total yards per game would be expected.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Years ago T stan accepted the AD job at the Clemson halftime.

I turned around and look on west stands upper deck to see stats for the first half - Ga Tech rushing 26 yards and Clemson 23 points.
At the time, it seemed like a hopeless task.

Then next year - they benched the QB and put in the once in a generation qb. His first pass was on a rope across the field to a wide open receiver.
Another year and its hopeless

Last year in the Covid and the same qb = 70 plus points and they played the punter at qb.
Another year and it still hopeless.

This year - hope returned.
Not saying we are good - but at least we can hope to be respectable against Clemson.

IMO our goal and demand on the staff must remain - making progress so we can (a) regularly win the coastal, (b) looking strong enough to regularly beat UNC<NCST<MIAMI, (c) and frequently be very competitive with top P5 teams (Clem/UGA/ ND).

This year the OC and DC can get my support by playing strong against our coastal opponents in OCT and NOV. It would be great if we find these guys can get us past a.

If they look like they can get us to B we are either going to give this staff raises or pay more to get better staff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I don't think they're going to be bad on offense this year. There's plenty of time for the light to come on.