Tony Elliot to UVA?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
3-9 , 3-7 and 3-9. Boy didn't we do good spending our money on CGC.
Irrelevant

Being a head coach is about a lot more than being an offensive coordinator. Elliott has qualities of character and intelligence that will make him a great HC, IMO.
I believe he will bring to Virginia an OC and DC who know what they're doing - the same thing he would have done for us.
I’m sure he will make decent hires, but he’ll also have a lot more disposable income with which to make those hires than CGC did in 2019. He’ll probably also recruit better at UVA than Mendenhall did, but could he take the limited staff and resources at Tech at put together top 30 classes, I don’t know.

Outlier

Also how much would we have had to pay Elliott, it sounds like you're in the know based on what you are saying.
Elliot was making $1.7M at the time of CGC’s hire. I highly doubt we would’ve been able to hire him at anything less than double that, which would be more than what Collins is making. Bronco was making ~$4M and I’d assume Elliot’s first salary at UVA will land somewhere between $3.5-4M. If we did give Elliot a larger sum than Collins we’d have even less money available to spend on assistants. Virginia currently has 3 assistants making more than Brent Key did the first 3 years. That means they would have 3 different coaches making more than our highest paid assistant. After Long’s hiring that will change, but I’d imagine Elliot will be given similar, if not more monetary resources to bring in a staff. Not to mention, should Elliot’s tenure here go wrong like Collins’ has, the buyout would be even larger.

Even with 1st round QB talent and a loaded roster Elliot hasn’t put up the monumental offenses you would expect. His first year at OC was 2015, and Cole Stoudt was the main starter with Deshaun his backup, so I’ll go back through Tajh Boyd’s sophomore year in 2011 when he became the starter. If you look at a team like Georgia, who has similar overall talent but not really any star QBs there’s not a whole lot of difference. Especially when you consider a lot of folks here didn’t want to hire Bobo as our OC, much less HC. And if you look at Oklahoma, a team who has had the type of QB talent that Clemson has, it looks even worse.
YearClemson OFEIGeorgia OFEIOklahoma
OFEI
2015 (Elliot)19938

So since Elliot has been OC, Clemson is averaging ~28.5 in OFEI. Georgia is averaging 41. And Oklahoma is averaging 8.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They havent made a good hire since George Welch so the odds are not looking good
I was somewhat skeptical of this claim...but the numbers do not lie They have had 3 coaches since George retired.

Al Groh 59-53 .527

Mike London 27-46 .370

Broncho 36-38 .486

The one commonality for all of them was an inability to beat Virginia Tech.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was somewhat skeptical of this claim...but the numbers do not lie They have had 3 coaches since George retired.

Al Groh 59-53 .527

Mike London 27-46 .370

Broncho 36-38 .486

The one commonality for all of them was an inability to beat Virginia Tech.
That one commonality is born out in the numbers, again.

Bronco 1-5
London 0-6
Al Groh 1-8 Since George's last year around 2000, the Cavs were 2-19 against Virginia Tech. They always seem to have SOME talent but not enough to overcome mediocre coaching. IIWII

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hiring an unproven HC or Coordinator is always risky. I’d guess about 50/50.

I will tweak your post and a corollary or two.

1. Hiring an unproven HC or Coordinator is always risky. I'd guess about 20/80.

2. Hiring a proven HC is always risky, I'd guess about 50/50.

3. Numbers in 1 and 2 vary by location.

4. If consistent losing seasons occur, consult your doctor, your local liquor store and then your AD. The order you do so can vary by individual.

;)