together we swarm

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Better than nothing.
I like that they're coming down on the seats that never get bought. However, I think they need to come down a lot more. They could always raise the price in later years if demand dictated it. $99 bucks for 6 games is $16.50 a pop. I say bring it down to the equal of a movie ticket, say $8 bucks a pop. I know that sounds absurd, but butts in seats trumps no butts even if they were give aways.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I like that they're coming down on the seats that never get bought. However, I think they need to come down a lot more. They could always raise the price in later years if demand dictated it. $99 bucks for 6 games is $16.50 a pop. I say bring it down to the equal of a movie ticket, say $8 bucks a pop. I know that sounds absurd, but butts in seats trumps no butts even if they were give aways.

Trial and error I guess..worth a shot. I would do this deal with the added benefits.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Empty seats don't buy concessions or pay to park or spend money at the bookstore. They should do whatever it takes to fill every seat in the stadium.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with DCS and franklinjacket. THey need to do whatever it takes to fill the stadium for every game. Then when the atmosphere and winning pct improves, start raising the rates.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
The problems with that idea are that
1. Tickets are almost pure margin for the GTAA (minus any processing fees) while concessions may have 15% margins after Sodexo and supply costs. Let's say merchandise is 30% margin.
2. Lots of folks currently paying $40/ticket would start paying little to nothing per ticket in those scenarios.

If you take a pair of tickets that would be $80 total, let's call it $70 to GTAA at the end of the day.

Those two people have to buy $230 or merchandise, $470 of food, or some combination between those two EVERY GAME to cover the lost GTAA revenue.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problems with that idea are that
1. Tickets are almost pure margin for the GTAA (minus any processing fees) while concessions may have 15% margins after Sodexo and supply costs. Let's say merchandise is 30% margin.
2. Lots of folks currently paying $40/ticket would start paying little to nothing per ticket in those scenarios.

If you take a pair of tickets that would be $80 total, let's call it $70 to GTAA at the end of the day.

Those two people have to buy $230 or merchandise, $470 of food, or some combination between those two EVERY GAME to cover the lost GTAA revenue.
How do they lose money when they sell seats that would otherwise go unsold? I don't buy the idea that people who would normally buy $40 tickets would switch to these, the seats stink.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
How do they lose money when they sell seats that would otherwise go unsold? I don't buy the idea that people who would normally buy $40 tickets would switch to these, the seats stink.

I agree. If you have the money for $40 tickets, you are going to keep them, not step down and take cheap seats. And we are losing money with our current strategy, so what could it hurt to try something new? Maybe the cheaper tickets bring in a whole new group of fans, and maybe not. But the definition of insanity comes to mind when I consider our current marketing strategy.

Even though I live in the heart of mutt land, you will find old timers who (much like the mutt fans of today) are fiercely loyal to GT, even though they have never attended a single college class anywhere, much less GT. But these folks are literally dying off and have not been replaced with fans over the last 50 years. To be sure, GT's record over the last five decades probably has more to do with the decline in our fanbase than any other reason. However, in our heyday GT football enjoyed a large sidewalk following - even in rural areas like mine. But it seems as though the decision makers (and many alumni) are more than happy to keep GT football fans as a rather small and somewhat elitist club. I just don't understand how a school that is supposed to produce the best and brightest problem solvers in the state can't figure out ways to properly market GT football.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. If you have the money for $40 tickets, you are going to keep them, not step down and take cheap seats.

$40 tickets ARE the cheap seats. The lowest price for 6-game season tickets is $245, minus that $99 special for the top 5 rows. $245/6 = $40.83

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
$40 tickets ARE the cheap seats. The lowest price for 6-game season tickets is $245, minus that $99 special for the top 5 rows. $245/6 = $40.83
You do realize that the price of a Wofford ticket does not equal the price of a Clemson ticket. I don't think he's referring to the Clemson game.