Together We GTSwarm?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Have not read the above before posting this. Just wanted to plop my thoughts before doing so.

I'm "wait and see" and will remain positive that CGC will do well in the long, min. of 3 to 5 years.
Just my nature not be buy in solely on hype. Need facts, proof, etc.

With that said, at this time, I'd be happy with 6-7 or 7-6 season this year. Just not feeling that will happen with the O-line injuries plus the injury to JH(51) that effects both the O and D line.

Regardless, I will continue to be a STH and attend games just as I have since moving back to the Atlanta area 20 years ago. Also, have supported the GTAA every year going back to 1986.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Have not read the above before posting this. Just wanted to plop my thoughts before doing so.

I'm "wait and see" and will remain positive that CGC will do well in the long, min. of 3 to 5 years.
Just my nature not be buy in solely on hype. Need facts, proof, etc.

With that said, at this time, I'd be happy with 6-7 or 7-6 season this year. Just not feeling that will happen with the O-line injuries plus the injury to JH(51) that effects both the O and D line.

Regardless, I will continue to be a STH and attend games just as I have since moving back to the Atlanta area 20 years ago. Also, have supported the GTAA every year going back to 1986.

Go Jackets!

I love your optimism. I think we will be fortunate to go 3-9.

Butch’s enthusiasm is great, but nothing will turn fans off faster than to be Mr Positive while losing week after week.

I’m the youngest guy on my row in Section 107 and I’m 59. Lose 400 STH isn’t just losing the ticket sales, it’s 400K in AT contributions too. Moreover, the trend is that more and more sales are ticket broker driven. So any turnover ... is not good.

I’m pulling for Tech. But concerned they could blow it.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Appreciate the post and believe that's it's appropriate and logical ;)

The mods totally understand the need to vent and understand why folks are frustrated by Saturday. Between crying and laughing about the reactions to Saturday's loss, I was just thinking to myself... was this secretly a unifying event for the fanbase? It's a stretch, but let me be clear about what I mean. I've see literally no one who finds losing to an FCS squad acceptable. Full stop. We finally have a consensus on something.

The debate that is occurring is one that won't be settled any time soon, imo. While we all agree the result was unacceptable, debating the reasons for the result is fine within the examples that @AE 87 pointed out. No one is "drinking koolaid" or "fanboying" the result, terms that I think need to stop. Similarly, no one is a "hater" because we lost to FCS. Another term I think needs to stop. The use of these terms are now striking me as grenades that are destructive to real conversation, borderline inflammatory, and therefore I am open to considering them against the rules... even though my understanding is that they are at times being used as short hand for larger points previously made. Interested in thoughts here.

Personal opinion and not representative of mods... I've seen folks talk in absolutes about the ability of CGC, CDP, etc. To me, despite a disappointing result on Saturday, I think anyone who has drawn a definitive conclusion either way about our coaches three weeks into their W/L tenure is someone who was never open-minded to having their opinion changed to begin with. Some initial opinions will be proven right either way, but the "black or white" opinions about our coaches is crazy talk at this stage. When is it appropriate, I don't know. But not now. I think the "absolutes" are a minority opinion on here, but they're certainly vocal and obvious in the threads.

Coming back to consensus, I think nearly all agree that the sooner we get back to X's and O's, talk about facts rather than projections, the sooner it'll be easier to get over the loss and move back to a better GTSwarm.

tooo many right fighters imo. we know who they are. its the same ones every time. its ok to be wrong now an then. contrary to what you may think. you dont know it all ! ;)

GT_EE78

Banned
well, We wouldn't want to become Alabama.....Would we?
the Bama fanblogs and media are now telling saban "just run the damn ball!" as they are tired of having a wussy team that has to pass for 400+ yds to win.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Good luck with this initiative. I think it’s a non starter unfortunately. We have basically two camps since the CGC hire. The “CGC is our obvious savior” camp. And the “I’ll wait and see” camp. Many members here fall in between both camps and are positive on some aspects of the staff and negative on others.

Almost everyone who expressed a wait and see mentality has been attacked, scolded for not being “on board the hype train”, or has been asked to either shut up or stop even being a Tech fan. Pretty laughable stuff. This was before our first real practices even and has continued to the present.

Now the wait is over. The seeing has begun, and it ain’t pretty thus far. It doesn’t instill much confidence for those who had doubts already.

I do see a lot of hypocrisy on the board. In my opinion it’s primarily coming from the big CGC supporters. The same posters who attempted to proclaim skeptics as fans who actually want to see Tech fail because we are no longer “an option team.” The same posters that said...”just wait until games begin and you will finally see what good coaching will do.” Well......we are still waiting even though the games have begun.

No one is calling for CGC to be fired. Some are calling for the OC to be fired. I actually think that’s unfair with our Oline issues. But there are some things he has done, and some things he has failed to do so far, that if unchanged will make for a fair argument at seasons end. Many of us now have greater doubts that promises from the staff will be fulfilled. I think most reasonable people outside of our fan base would agree with most of those doubts now.

Winning cures all. Win and the doubts will fade. The criticisms will fade. If losing continues the reverse will hold and the two camps will become camps of “CGC sychophants” and “CGC haters”. And in four years the search for our next “savior” will begin again.

And guess what? If the institute doesn’t close the financial gaps and staffing gaps with our competitors more, CGC will be more likely to fail than succeed.

Having a great O scheme in the last regime was not sufficient to compete at the desired level consistently. Having a great D scheme in this regime won’t be sufficient alone either.

Collins might be our best recruiter ever. Thus far the results in recruiting indicate he needs much more support from the AA to get us where he has promised. I think it’s impossible for him to achieve those goals if Tech continues to insist on underfunding the program relative to our competitors.
Great post!