Todd Stansbury Interview - @CollegeAD

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I saw that GT Athletics posted this on Youtube today.

Pretty long interview. I haven't finished the whole interview yet, but there are some very good discussions. Pretty close to the beginning, they talk about academics and how important academics are at GT. I think people who have had discussions about academic importance and being snobbish should listen. They discuss the SAs that GT has. I haven't listened again, but my takeaway was how important that is and how we should use the academic importance to recruit more athletes who find academics important than to try ways to get athletes into GT who don't.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree. But we are angling for a smaller school of fish than the factories and we need to recognize it. Doesn’t mean we can’t compete doesn’t mean there are inherent benefits also (fewer thugs).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Agree. But we are angling for a smaller school of fish than the factories and we need to recognize it. Doesn’t mean we can’t compete doesn’t mean there are inherent benefits also (fewer thugs).

He says something similar in the interview(without the thugs reference), but says it somewhat differently. Something like: GT is a special place and not all SAs want to come to a place like GT. He then says that GT pushes SAs on the field, in the classroom, and in life prep.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't this fact indicate you'd need a larger recruiting support staff than the factories, not smaller, if your goal is to compete with them?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't this fact indicate you'd need a larger recruiting support staff than the factories, not smaller, if your goal is to compete with them?
Not to point out the obvious, but once u catch a stud fish (often they don't have nuclear family background) Gtaa WITH THE HILL needs to be able to support him as he GRADUALLY become a tech man.
It needs to involve the kids hs coach as well.
Spending $ to cast a wider net and be a better recruiting method that only recruits kids that are already techish and have nuclear family is an option going foward. I have seen what can be accomplished w extra effort by coaches and family that go the extra mile to help totalky non nuclear kids .
Would like to think ee have a more - leave no one behind attitude

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. Too bad we have been unable / unwilling to try and fund that.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/message-from-gtaa.14067/

Has been talked about on here quite a bit. In December TStan, CPJ, and an anonymous donor who will match donations(1/2 up to $400k) set the funding in motion. TStan wanted to raise at least the first years funds to double the recruiting staff by signing day. On signing day, they were $85K away from funding both years. I believe from what they have said that they are in the process of finding those people right now.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/recruiting-challenge-update-315k.14422/

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not to point out the obvious, but once u catch a stud fish (often they don't have nuclear family background) Gtaa WITH THE HILL needs to be able to support him as he GRADUALLY become a tech man.
It needs to involve the kids hs coach as well.
Spending $ to cast a wider net and be a better recruiting method that only recruits kids that are already techish and have nuclear family is an option going foward. I have seen what can be accomplished w extra effort by coaches and family that go the extra mile to help totalky non nuclear kids .
Would like to think ee have a more - leave no one behind attitude

Pj mentioned going after again the PRIVATE schools(academic) up north--Cincy, Wash DC,etc