Todd McShay On Attaochu

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
"Watching GTech DE/OLB Attaochu with @KevinW_ESPN right now. Terrorizing backfields. Natural bend, strength and burst. Love this guy!"

"Attaochu's tape is what I was expecting to see from A. Barr this year."

That last comment is especially revealing, as Barr is considered the best rush OLB in the draft. Apparently the Falcons, Ravens, and Chargers have been showing the most interest. Keep him home Dimitroff!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
One of the best things that happened to Attaochu was him playing in both the 3-4 & 4-3 systems. This will allow him to be a every down player. Stand up LB in the base D and hand in the dirt on obvious passing downs

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Top of the 2nd round is just too loaded with OGs for the Falcons to pick defense there, I feel like. Unless they fill that need in FA in which case they can wait an extra round to pick a slightly less polished guy.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Top of the 2nd round is just too loaded with OGs for the Falcons to pick defense there, I feel like. Unless they fill that need in FA in which case they can wait an extra round to pick a slightly less polished guy.

It depends on who they select in round 1 IMO. One thing is dimitroff makes some odd picks/decisions....I actually love julio jones but the reality is he mortgaged the team and it caught up this year to do it...he is a bit of a river boat gambler.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
It depends on who they select in round 1 IMO. One thing is dimitroff makes some odd picks/decisions....I actually love julio jones but the reality is he mortgaged the team and it caught up this year to do it...he is a bit of a river boat gambler.
I agree with you. If you look through the drafts since he's been here, besides 2008, there is no depth whatsoever. A LOT of misses.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd go with Jemea and Jeremiah if I was Dimitroff.

That's why you're not an NFL GM! :)

I think Jeremiah goes in the 3rd or 4th round. Jemea will likely be an undrafted FA.

IMO, no way in HELL the Falcons need to draft an OL. Everyone talks about Matthews but I watched 4 A&M games this year and guys were going around Matthews like he was holding a cape and yelling "Ole!" at them. If Manziel wasn't as mobile as he is, Matthews might fall to a 3rd round projection IMO.

Since they announced the salary cap will likely move to between $132 and $135 million today (about $8 million or so more than expected), then the Falcons have money to go after some free agent linemen. Here's my plan to fix the Falcons:
1) Go get the best left tackle FA available.
2) Move Sam Baker to Right Tackle and keep Lamar Holmes as a backup
3) Go get the best center FA available.
4) Move Konz to RG where he is a more natural player.
5) Draft pass rushers with your top 3 picks. (It's at this point where I point out just how STUPID it was of the Falcons to win that game versus Washington. IIRC, losing that game puts them at 3 instead of 6 and you have a really valid shot at Clowney without having to talk about trading up to get him.

With those 2 FA pickups, the line is much more stable and the young guys who were forced to start provide what should be capable backups. Go get some edge pass rushers and bring them in. Your corners were both rookies last year and have a year underneath their belt of experience. Your safeties are still young and should be fine.

With Spoon and Dent coming back from injury, your LBs are solid again but I'd like to get a LB in the draft. Honestly, I'd also like to get a speed back at running back...think Percy Harvin-type speed. Someone who might play 5 - 6 plays per game but can perform in the return game and be used to stretch defenses on toss sweeps, etc.

Lower round picks used on more offensive linemen whom you expect to need two or three years of seasoning before they're ready to step in and be an everyday player.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

That trade hurt their depth but I don't blame last year on the trades.

At one point, the Falcons had 62% of their payroll on injured reserve. I don't care what your team name is, who your coach is, or even if Superman is playing QB for your team....you will not win games in the NFL with that many players hurt.

Last year was a freak year.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the best things that happened to Attaochu was him playing in both the 3-4 & 4-3 systems. This will allow him to be a every down player. Stand up LB in the base D and hand in the dirt on obvious passing downs
What makes it even better is that he was a beast no matter where he lined up

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes it even better is that he was a beast no matter where he lined up

I agree. I think Attaochu will actually have a good pro career because he has that ability to "bend" as he comes around the corner going after the QB.

However, I think his standing in the draft will be hurt because of not being able to take part in the combine. If he has a strong pro day @ GT, that may help improve his standing some but I don't know how much damage was done by not being able to do the measurements there are in Indy.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
My wish list for Falcons:
1st Round. Mack/Barr (can be OLB or DE versatile)
2nd Round. Jernigan (don't even have to mention)
3rd Round. Attoachu (can be OLB or DE versatile)
4th Round. Telvin Smith (Can be a safety or linebacker versatile)

FA. LT from Kansas City
FA. Another versatile OG/C

Problem solved.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
My wish list for Falcons:
1st Round. Mack/Barr (can be OLB or DE versatile)
2nd Round. Jernigan (don't even have to mention)
3rd Round. Attoachu (can be OLB or DE versatile)
4th Round. Telvin Smith (Can be a safety or linebacker versatile)

FA. LT from Kansas City
FA. Another versatile OG/C

Problem solved.
What about the soon-to-be vacancy at FS?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And I wouldn't be surprised if he was right.

I think Attoachu could easily carry another 30 lbs without losing speed. That means he has more positions he could play depending on what the team that drafts him wants out of him. It would, of course, be a lucky pick for him, but it could happen.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
And I wouldn't be surprised if he was right.

I think Attoachu could easily carry another 30 lbs without losing speed. That means he has more positions he could play depending on what the team that drafts him wants out of him. It would, of course, be a lucky pick for him, but it could happen.
That'd put him in the 270-280 range. If he adds weight, I think he tries for 260-ish