Today's Attendance

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure if this has been hashed out elsewhere or not, but it deserves its own thread. Why in the hell was 90% or so of the east stands dressed in red today? I totally get that this game is usually about 60-40 Tech, and I sadly, fully expect the upper north and lower southeast to be full of red as that is where they are relegated to (with their fans scattered intermittently throughout the stadium).

But I sit in the lower west, and from my view, a LOT of "fans" that have been there all year may have seen an opportunity to make a quick buck and decided to forego watching this game in person in lieu of selling to the highest bidder. I hope you all spend your money wisely and enjoy the extra holiday spending money. I, for one, can't imagine EVER selling my ticket to a Georgia Tech game, especially not to those guys. Y'all should be ashamed.

If the people in front, beside, or behind me sold their tickets to dwags, that would make my game oexperience that much worse. Think about your neighbors next time y'all do that crap. Thankfully we sit in a good section near the parents and didn't have any turncoats near us. Maybe the west looked just as bad, I haven't watched the replay, and don't really care to. No matter how bad this year was, everytime our home schedule comes to an end is a sad day because I enjoy being in that stadium so much. I'm just sad that a lot of our dedicated fans missed out on one last chance to yell for their team today.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if this has been hashed out elsewhere or not, but it deserves its own thread. Why in the hell was 90% or so of the east stands dressed in red today? I totally get that this game is usually about 60-40 Tech, and I sadly, fully expect the upper north and lower southeast to be full of red as that is where they are relegated to (with their fans scattered intermittently throughout the stadium).

But I sit in the lower west, and from my view, a LOT of "fans" that have been there all year may have seen an opportunity to make a quick buck and decided to forego watching this game in person in lieu of selling to the highest bidder. I hope you all spend your money wisely and enjoy the extra holiday spending money. I, for one, can't imagine EVER selling my ticket to a Georgia Tech game, especially not to those guys. Y'all should be ashamed.

If the people in front, beside, or behind me sold their tickets to dwags, that would make my game oexperience that much worse. Think about your neighbors next time y'all do that crap. Thankfully we sit in a good section near the parents and didn't have any turncoats near us. Maybe the west looked just as bad, I haven't watched the replay, and don't really care to. No matter how bad this year was, everytime our home schedule comes to an end is a sad day because I enjoy being in that stadium so much. I'm just sad that a lot of our dedicated fans missed out on one last chance to yell for their team today.

I sit in the upper North below the aisle. There were some UGA fans in my section, but not the majority. From my viewpoint, the lower West wasn't any better than the lower East(excluding the SE corner).

I sit in the upper east on the south 45 yard line, and there were actually fewer Ga fans in my area today than there were two years ago. But the lower West, where the long time fans and donors supposedly sit was more than 50% red. The upper west was even worse, and the upper north was probably 95% red. And the student sections, though not much red at all, was still only about 95% full, and even that much not until the end of the first quarter. Something really needs to be done about student attendance, although I know you can't force anyone to attend a game.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
UGA did the same thing to Vandy who probably tops GT in terms of fickle fans. They took over a huge chunk of Notre Dame. So GT has company in that respect!

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Winning cures a lot of this. But those of us that are dedicated enough to buy season tickets should at least show up for the biggest game of the year and not sell out because of how the season is going. Even worse, if people are doing it to prove a point, it's only making it worse. More red in our stadium is not a good look. Support your team above all else.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA did the same thing to Vandy who probably tops GT in terms of fickle fans. They took over a huge chunk of Notre Dame. So GT has company in that respect!
And that was embarrassing for them too. Difference is, this is a rivalry game. I know they have more living alumni, more sidewalk fans, more brainwashed hillbillies, and more mouthbreathing bandwagoners at this point. But if all of our season ticket holders would have shown up today, the stadium would have looked a lot different. Outcome of the game? Probably not. But at least the team would feel more support, and that goes a long way in recruiting and the overall perception of our fanbase. No way I could've put a price on my ticket today. Win or lose, those are my seats. I'll be damned if I let somebody sit there and bark in them.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
[QUOTE="The Doddfather, post: 371608, member: 619"But if all of our season ticket holders would have shown up today, the stadium would have looked a lot different. Outcome of the game? Probably not. But at least the team would feel more support, and that goes a long way in recruiting and the overall perception of our fanbase.[/QUOTE]

agreed 100%. If GT was even 6-4 we probably have a lot more fans today. After the Duke loss, I think many fans cashed in, literally.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
And it's sad that our attendance is contingent on whether or not the last game went well or not. Yeah I was gut punched last week, but we were undefeated at home. This is our house. I don't think a lot of people appreciate our program week on and week out. Maybe it's a culmination of a disappointing year, I don't know. But if I knew there was a dwag sitting in my seat today, I wouldn't even have the guts to watch the game on tv I'd be so embarrassed

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, this year the W-L records disparity (10-1 vs 5-5) was the biggest I can remember... AND coming off a crushing loss at Duke. Can you really blame our fanbase for feeling extra pessimistic about our chances? Sure I felt our guys were better than their record, and made my way to BDS hoping they would shock the world, but expectations were not high.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
And it's sad that our attendance is contingent on whether or not the last game went well or not. Yeah I was gut punched last week, but we were undefeated at home. This is our house. I don't think a lot of people appreciate our program week on and week out. Maybe it's a culmination of a disappointing year, I don't know. But if I knew there was a dwag sitting in my seat today, I wouldn't even have the guts to watch the game on tv I'd be so embarrassed

I think you nailed it on "culmination". Duke blowout plus 3 other losses literally handed over.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, this year the W-L records disparity (10-1 vs 5-5) was the biggest I can remember... AND coming off a crushing loss at Duke. Can you really blame our fanbase for feeling extra pessimistic about our chances? Sure I felt our guys were better than their record, and wanted to be there if they shocked the world, but expectations were not high.

I don't care if they are pessimistic, I can blame them for selling tickets to mutt fans and abandoning our players on senior day.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
My expectations were tempered as well, but I was never pessimistic. There's a lot that goes into being a fan, and part of that is showing up and standing up and cheering on every play. Is it always rational that we will win? Of course not. But the fun is that I get to be there, standing by my seat, yelling on every play.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I sit in the upper east on the south 45 yard line, and there were actually fewer Ga fans in my area today than there were two years ago. But the lower West, where the long time fans and donors supposedly sit was more than 50% red. The upper west was even worse, and the upper north was probably 95% red. And the student sections, though not much red at all, was still only about 95% full, and even that much not until the end of the first quarter. Something really needs to be done about student attendance, although I know you can't force anyone to attend a game.
I sit in the Upper East and there was no where near 50% of Lower East in red. Much closer to 10%.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Most are going to think I'm nuts. But at 55,000 our Stadium is too large for our fan base. Face facts the only time we sell out is uga , Clemson , or someone like ND. When we were at 46,000 or 48,000 even the bad games we had 44,000. 44,000 looks better in a stadium the seats 46,000 then one that seats 55,000.Limit the number of seats sold to the visiting team. It could give us back our home field and looks better to recruits and on TV. Yes I know you can't take down part of the stadium but want you could do is take out the bench seats and put chair back seats to give the fans more room. Lets say that each row has 24 seat with the chair back seat that number could be 20 giving the fans a little more room. Will this stop our fans from selling their tickets no. I know some will say if we go back from 55,000 to 46,000 - 48,000 that is a bad sign. To me it's a back sign to see empty seat or seats filled with visiting fans. This is just and idea may be a dumb idea but no one said I was smart.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
In the 80’s, UGA fans would buy season tickets to Tech games the years that COFH was at Grant Field, just so they’d have tickets to that game. Then they’d sell, give away, or trash the tickets to the rest of the games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
I sit in the Upper East and there was no where near 50% of Lower East in red. Much closer to 10%.
I sat in the lower east and it sure didn't look like 50% red to me. There were some UGA fans around but nothing even close to a majority. However, a number of Tech people left quite early in the second half.

Animal02

Banned
I sat in the lower east and it sure didn't look like 50% red to me. There were some UGA fans around but nothing even close to a majority. However, a number of Tech people left quite early in the second half.
From a TV "look", the lower East looked about 40% red outside of the club section. Upper East looked all red on both ends and about 50% in the rest. North looked 75 % red. West looked about 30% red. Granted, red stands out better the the mix of gold, Navy, white, green,pink and every other color Tech fans wear to the game.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Most are going to think I'm nuts. But at 55,000 our Stadium is too large for our fan base. Face facts the only time we sell out is uga , Clemson , or someone like ND. When we were at 46,000 or 48,000 even the bad games we had 44,000. 44,000 looks better in a stadium the seats 46,000 then one that seats 55,000.Limit the number of seats sold to the visiting team. It could give us back our home field and looks better to recruits and on TV. Yes I know you can't take down part of the stadium but want you could do is take out the bench seats and put chair back seats to give the fans more room. Lets say that each row has 24 seat with the chair back seat that number could be 20 giving the fans a little more room. Will this stop our fans from selling their tickets no. I know some will say if we go back from 55,000 to 46,000 - 48,000 that is a bad sign. To me it's a back sign to see empty seat or seats filled with visiting fans. This is just and idea may be a dumb idea but no one said I was smart.
What your comment touches upon is the question of whether we should have taken on the debt load to build that addition 15-16 years ago. How much better of a financial situation might GT be in had we not done that part of the addition?
[Some changes - lower east, lower north - probably had to be made, but did we need the addition that is now the upper north?]
But..., since we now have all those seats, yesterday's game, as one athletic event, generated more revenue for GT than any other single event all year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
After the Duke Game what did anyone expect? Fans who bought season tickets to watch Dedrick Mills get dismissed and then watch Tech lose a Double OT heartbreaker that we should have won, and then watch the team play worse down the stretch (UVA & Duke) sold their tickets to Georgia fans!