To Chop or not to chop... there is no question

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yep, I had forgotten about that one. The announcers said it was a penalty and that CPJ took exception to it too.
D91PjB.gif

I think the defender was trying to pull Marshall's helmet off, not hurt him. He actually tried twice. That of course could cause Marshall to miss a play (penalty for losing your helmet). Defender should have been penalized for climbing on top of Marshall and not immediately getting off.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the defender was trying to pull Marshall's helmet off, not hurt him. He actually tried twice. That of course could cause Marshall to miss a play (penalty for losing your helmet). Defender should have been penalized for climbing on top of Marshall and not immediately getting off.
Yes.

Any competent ref would have thrown a flag on this the first time he saw it. Just like any competent ref would have thrown a flag when Qua was hit out of bounds. The business with TM was the direct result of not calling the late hit on Searcy; if the D sees that they can get away with it, they'll do it. If the refs want to keep control of the game, they need to, you know, take control of the game. That crew didn't seem to have any idea of what this meant.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As I pointed out in another thread, we got the better of the two "blown" calls if you even call the chop block a blown call. The play right before the "chop block", Kirvante Benson clearly held a defender as the lead blocker for TM's 10 yard run to the sideline. How in the world the ref's miss a hold that is 5 feet away from the ball is beyond me, but they did. We got lucky on that one and we likely got lucky on a few more.

None of that would have even mattered if TM would have thrown on time to Camp for the td on the next play (or if the refs called pi on that play, which it was).