TN to add 'talent fee' to all tickets

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ESPN had an article about the House lawsuit a couple of days ago:

Apparently, the issues the judge has with the settlement is precisely related to limits on 3rd party payments to players.

EDIT: I really think that for the P4 to get what they actually want, they will have to enter into a collective bargaining agreement with the players. If they do, they could limit transfers and put a cap on payments to players. The issue would likely be that the negotiated transfer rules will not end up being as limiting as the schools want, and that the salary cap will be much larger than the schools currently want.
Doesn't collective bargaining imply a players union?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
ESPN had an article about the House lawsuit a couple of days ago:

Apparently, the issues the judge has with the settlement is precisely related to limits on 3rd party payments to players.

EDIT: I really think that for the P4 to get what they actually want, they will have to enter into a collective bargaining agreement with the players. If they do, they could limit transfers and put a cap on payments to players. The issue would likely be that the negotiated transfer rules will not end up being as limiting as the schools want, and that the salary cap will be much larger than the schools currently want.

I made a similar comment based on another article that quoted the judge. I'm guessing the judge thinks that limits on NIL from third parties runs afoul of labor law.
Hopefully, we should see where this settlement lands fairly soon in legal timeframes, although it could still be months away. Based on the judge's comments, who kicked the NCAA's proposal back to them for improvements, the sticking point in their original proposal had to do with limits on third-party NIL. If they agree to "no-limit" NIL from third parties, they may have a deal.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't collective bargaining imply a players union?
The problem is that there is already a "collective" on the NCAA side. It is collusion for a collective on one side to make decisions and force individuals on the other side to accept them. The large tech companies got into trouble because they had agreements to not poach each others employees. That agreement artificially reduced wages because tech employees were not bouncing from one company to the other. Currently the NCAA and the P4 set rules for the individuals, not just for the members of their collective.

I think courts have made it fairly clear that if the P4 and NCAA want to continue setting rules for the individuals that they need to have agreement from those individuals as a group. I don't think it will be long before there will either be a players union, or the NCAA and conferences will have to remove the rules for individuals and let each school set their own to create a free market for the individuals.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Even setting aside the players side - I think, without some sort of consolidation/superleague, there’s too many schools in D1 FBS to realistically have them all even be able to come to the table with a collective bargaining proposal that the big factories would have any intent of following.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Even setting aside the players side - I think, without some sort of consolidation/superleague, there’s too many schools in D1 FBS to realistically have them all even be able to come to the table with a collective bargaining proposal that the big factories would have any intent of following.
I have seen multiple people predicting a 50-80 team super league. I think that is actually a reasonable number. In the past 20-30 years there have been a large number of D2 teams that move to FCS, and a large number of FCS teams that have moved to FBS. I haven't looked at actual numbers, but it feels like there are as many FBS teams now as there were D1-A plus D1-AA before. It seems kind of natural that when EVERYBODY reaches the top level, that the actual top level teams will move to an even higher level.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I have seen multiple people predicting a 50-80 team super league. I think that is actually a reasonable number. In the past 20-30 years there have been a large number of D2 teams that move to FCS, and a large number of FCS teams that have moved to FBS. I haven't looked at actual numbers, but it feels like there are as many FBS teams now as there were D1-A plus D1-AA before. It seems kind of natural that when EVERYBODY reaches the top level, that the actual top level teams will move to an even higher level.
If you notice the scramble for some teams to get into the P4, and also the P2's actions to separate themselves from the ACC and B12, it's clear that the leadership of the teams and conferences see where this is heading. You don't want to be on the outside looking in when things settle out.